Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

BMW Project Options

Seeing all the various BMWs today at the monthly Sunday meet got me thinking about what project options there are to work from. Rather hypothetical, but I always like to spin ideas around in my head until I get bored and move onto another idea. I'm still most pleased with my Soarers but I feel a void missing without a BMW to tinker with since selling my E36 V8.

I suppose these are my options and my brief thoughts:

1 Series E87 - Never been a fan of the styling... quality is typical of an entry level BMW.

3 Series E30 - Do like them a lot, but easy to become massive resto projects depending on condition and spec...

3 Series E36 - Been there and done that, not a fan of their styling anymore or the way they feel on the road.

3 Series E46 - Coupe and Touring are smart looking machines even in non M spec... plenty of potential. I've always thought they have aged very well, I regret not doing my 1UZ V8 conversion in an E46. I've always like the touring E46 shape too, a well balancing looking car, better looking than the sedan and most people go for the coupes from what I've seen.

3 Series E9X - I'n not so much a fan of the bland styling, even on the facelifts, just a bit too uninspired. The interior quality seems less than of the E46s too.

5 Series E34 - As much as I like them, they are pretty dated and do need good overhauls, I've had a 540i and 535i so kinda been there and done that with both so I don't think much is to be gained playing with those again.

5 Series E39 - I did like them at one point, while I like the interior, the exterior doesn't excite me enough... nor does the prospect of various odd issues they like to get depending on their engine and year options. That said if I had a good one I wouldn't be unhappy.

5 Series E60 - I like some of them, the LCI facelifts seem like decent cars, not sold on the interior styling over the E39 interior though, possibly too new 'era' for me with all the I-drive stuff etc, I think they will become quite problematic in the coming years too, but who knows.

7 Series E32/E38 - Great looking cars but too big, fairly complex and not really a fun weekend project car you can take for a good drive - I'm not a chauffeur!

8 Series E31 - As cool as they look, they are complicated aging cars that need a lot of TLC. Not sure I want a big 2 door cruiser either.

Having thought about each series, I think that just brings me back to the E46s again. Probably the easiest choice out of the lot, pretty simple cars too, similar to the E36 in many ways which is a car I understand well. Of course they have a few more electrics to get around but other than that seem like a sound choice. Between a coupe or Touring, I think a 6 cylinder touring would be a good base having the thicker axles and 188mm diff from factory.

Of course I would be inclined to change the engine to make it fun, but what to run is always the question. While I like the S52/S54 and S62 - sweet engines a with a reliable track record and as good as NA motors can get, they are expensive options. That said it's ideal to have an OEM engine in an OEM car and would add to the value when it comes time to selling. Otherwise I feel there aren't many other BMW engines that interest me, not so keen on the M6X V8s or the M5X engines having seen where they can go wrong.

So it leaves a few Toyota engine options out there:

2GR-FE 3.5 V6, same spec as a S50B32 output, but could be mounted further back being a V6. On the flip side I find V6s a bit boring but they are a compact modern 230kw powerhouses so end up being a bit more exciting than your average one. V6s don't sound as good as V8s either which means they are probably a no go for me.

1JZ/2JZ Turbos - Well proven engines with reliability and easy to get more power out of. Obviously the best choice for outright performance but I'm not such a fan on turbocharged engines and don't really want more than 350hp.

1UZ-FE, 4.0 V8, Good engine but a little old now, no vvti or modern features so don't really make enough power without being supercharged or turbocharged.

3UZ-FE 4.3 VVTi V8, The last and best variation of the 1UZ, 4.3L with 320hp/440nm out of the box, reliable as anything and can be had from 2001-201X so still modern engines in the used market. Easy to run a manual gearbox behind one too.

1GZ-FE 5.0 V12 - A motor I've always been interested in but they do need a front sump setup due to the way the oil pump and timing chain hangs down. Not sure this would work in an E46 chassis due to the subframe positions. Most expensive Toyota engine choice too, reaching stock outputs of ~ 330hp/481nm, pretty high scoring for the unique factor, not many quad cam V12s about!

Having thought about the above I reckon an E46 touring, 3UZ V8, manual w58 5 speed, some nice M3 suspension bits and an similar style RS4 V8 exhaust with dual mufflers out the back would make for a fun practical machine. From my past experience the trick would be to making it all integrate easily, and making sure it was a good daily driver with all the comforts like A/C retained etc - Factory themed (with a Toyota motor)

Another key is to keep an eye on the budget, so easy to over spend if ones not careful!

:lol:

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 3

What about S65/S85? too expensive? They would rock in an E46 Touring.

• Like 1

there really arent that many options now thats original and unique. most have been done and done well. cost factor is also important.

edit: how about doing the exact opposite and sticking something like an m54b30 or a bmw v8 into a soarer? lol

Edited by QUBE
  • Like 1

What about S65/S85? too expensive? They would rock in an E46 Touring.

Yeah way to expensive for what I would be willing to spend. :P

As good as the S65 seems to be, their early bearing failures rings major alarm bells... what will happens when they are 10+ year old engines?

S85 more expensive again, not sold on the way the V10s sound compared to your V8 options either.

there really arent that many options now thats original and unique. most have been done and done well. cost factor is also important.

edit: how about doing the exact opposite and sticking something like an m54b30 or a bmw v8 into a soarer? lol

Yeah agreed, everythings been done really, but the fun is purely about just doing such work yourself etc. Gotta spend money somehow ;)

Haha, but thats the thing, I like the way BMWs feel on the road and the way they look, same with the way they are put together. It's a hard to beat combination. Toyotas just don't have the same road feel I find.

• Like 1

I get what your going for but dont rule out the E32/38's too quick.

I think you'd be nicely suprised at how much fun an E38 can be with the right suspension and performance chip.

One of my workmates has a R34 Skyline and I kick his a#se in the corners and on the straights.

Honestly. Find one for sale and take it for a drive. The shorty's made for a driver not a passenger.

Or if we're ever at a meet together at the same time I'll let you take mine for a drive. Once you've gone 7 you'll never go back..lol

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 3

would be somewhat inclined to agree with E38 comments... the short wheel base is a big car, but its not only A6 size, same size as E60 5 series, etc.

if you are engine swapping you would probably want to start off with a 728i, less stuff in it, otherwise the 740i is the no brainer.

• Like 2

If it's a engine swap you want then what Andy said about the 728i and possibly do a LS1 conversion.

It wouldn't be the first in the world but I'm pretty sure it'd be the first in NZ

Edited by kulgan

I would love to see a track day e38, full cage , stripped interior, v8 with a 5 speed manual and lsd, but not sure if i would want to own it!

• Like 1

anyone know if E38 and E39 pedal box is the same? fitting a third pedal into the E38 is a problem, particularly with the handbrake also operated by the left foot.

From what I've read on other forums I think it is the E39 pedal box that people are using for thier E38 manual conversions.

Plenty of room in there Andy. Pic's from a LHD.

IMAGE_035.jpg

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

Haha. Funny you say this guys years ago I thought the idea of a 'track ready' E38 to be quite an exciting prospect, mainly because of the way they look and the whole vibe they have.

You're probably right about not dismissing them too quick... perhaps I should take you up on that offer of a test drive. I've not actually driven one!

I've always like the way the look, but never looked into them enough to know what the suspension is like etc.

On the plus side, two E38s could be had for the price of one E46 touring given typical market prices!

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

E21 running a stroker with motorbike carbs, or a nu klass just to be different ;)

• Like 1

^jesus that is one crazy car.

Whenever I hear people dissing the e38 as being a luxo-barge I think of that twin turbo V12 and smile..lol

i think everyone would agree the E38 was the last drivers 7 series. share a lot of stuff with the E39, itself a very good car too, facelift 530i motorsport mmmmmmm

• Like 2

i think everyone would agree the E38 was the last drivers 7 series. share a lot of stuff with the E39, itself a very good car too, facelift 530i motorsport mmmmmmm

Even Brosnan would agreed, he was clearly enjoying his in the back seat:

tomorrowbmw28dm3.8829.jpg

• Like 4

If the E38 V8, LSx or whatever, AND manual conversion project is a go, I am guessing the project $$$ is going to go the way most projects go.

there used to be a super mint black 740i or 750i with full ac schnitzer everything around the city back around 2008ish. it was a turkish dude a friend of a friend and it was one of the nicest 7 series and nicest bmw ive ever seen. it was absolutely amazing. too bad he crashed it drifting or something. silly thing to do with such a nice car.

• Like 1

Nice call on the e46 mate, I agree that it has aged really well and agree with your thoughts on the e90s styling interior/exterior.

What about looking at the 330ci non-m-spec e46ers? Could be quite good for the engine conversion, they still look great and they'd be super comfortable without the harsh ride of the m-spec ones.

My 325ci m-spec e46 I had was an awesome looking car with great performance although I got tired of the extra harsh ride and also the 5 speed auto-box, especially on the western side of the lake!

• Like 1

I have a 2001 330ci with 109k's up for grabs if you need ,

needs a repaint (someone took to it with a few rattle cans) :(

was sapphire black ..

have some replacement black panels and bumpers etc

, has wof and reg.

drives fine

post-279-0-43061800-1430723756_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-55841300-1430723760_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-10747400-1430723765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

5 Series E39 - I did like them at one point, while I like the interior, the exterior doesn't excite me enough... nor does the prospect of various odd issues they like to get depending on their engine and year options. That said if I had a good one I wouldn't be unhappy.

Before I looked at getting my current e87 (yeah I saw your comments :P) I went on a good hunt for some e39s. I eventually came across a 2000 facelift, m-spec 530i that was in very good condition. Took it for a test drive. While I was convinced by the look, the feel and the fact I'd owned a 530i before - I wasn't convinced by something I felt hard to explain.

Perhaps the $8k price was a little too high or that I was just over the prospect of owning another older BMW.

I thought the joy and the lower price points of the 90s gen BMWs would've been enough for me - in the end I just felt over the older models.

The only other BMW I considered when I was looking at the e87 was the e60 sedan, had to be m-spec and a dark colour with tints though.

• Like 1

Reckon all ya need is an e46+ls2 michael....

• Like 1

why wud anyone spray silver over black???? but how much u want for it though brent?