Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

Can it still be called a Luxo barge. E38 740i vrs F34 328i

I posted this in my other thread but I fouind it interesting so thought it could go here as well.

I got curious about this so I checked this out for a size comparison.

2014 328i Gran Turismo.

Length 4824mm 189.9inch's Width 1828mm 72inch's

Curb weight 1645kg's.

POWER 245 PS (180 kW; 242 hp) TORQUE 350 N·m (258 lb·ft)dd7a23b4a277c1d3_fullview.jpg

2001 E38 740i.

Length 4984mm 196.2inch"s Width1862mm 73.3inch's

Curb Weight 1710kg's.

POWER 286 PS (210 kW: 282 hp) TORQUE 440 N·m (325 lb-ft)

FA194936-5864-4160-8A5C-D02C19F2D851-393

So by todays standards it's really not a whole lot bigger than a 3 series but with a bit more power, a nice V8 rumble and with all the luxuary you'd expect from the flagship model.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

whilst the 328 may be almost as long as the 740 the wheel base is about 200mm shorter making it more dynamic to drive.

the current 328 is nearly 400mm longer than the E36 and dimensionally similar to the E39 including wheel base.

It is longer than an E53 X5

Wiki stats.

F34

Wheelbase

2,920 mm

E38

Wheelbase 2,930 mm (115 in)

Wheel base is almost the same. only a 10mm difference.

• Like 2

and i find the E38 big on the road. wow.

That's for the GT though, which is on a different platform (I think) than a standard 3 series (F30).

But, yes, new cars are getting bigger - the 1 series is bugger tfan an E30 3 series, the X3 is bigger than the E53 X5, etc. However, I would argue about which feels the most nimble.

The improved suspension and front end grip of the F30 makes up for the extra size and weight. An E30/6/46 seem almost skittish and a lot less planted than an F30 - particularly at speed.

What kind of turning radius/diameters do these cars have? I gather the long the wheel base the bigger the turning circle size.

Mines down at 4.9m Radius / 9.8m turning circle.

The only info I could find was for a 740il and it had it as 12.20m turning circle.

As for original question, still a Luxo barge, hell yes and there's nothing wrong with that!

Bruising cruiser

The 1 and 2 series are the obviously the new 3 series. I think market wise the 3 series is now being aimed at the family car as 36/46/90 arent so great in the leg room department. The 5 series the executive car still, 4 series is the dynamic got to have 'yuppy' car, 7 series moves into a higher league (closer to Rolls, Bentley) of more luxury or a car with a driver scenario.

I've always had big cars. Holden Kingswood was my first car. Valiant Regals, XJ6 series 1 Jags and prior to the 740i I had a VS SS commodore so for me I always find it a bit amusing to hear the term "barge" used to describe the E38. From my point of view having owned large cars the E38 is more of a medium sized luxury sports car.

• Like 2

god damn i hate all those GT liftback things. Burn them all.