Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Marmite

As we'll be heading to and from the UK in the near future, I thought I'd check on the situation with bringing some British food back. Typically, it's OK...

However, Sanitarium who licensed production of Marmite n NZ in 1908, have sought to prevent the import of British Marmite (first manufactured in Burton-on-Trent in 1902) on the grounds of Trademark infringement. This restriction has been expanded to include very similar products manufactured under the Marmite brand but with a different name, including Ma'amite.

NZ Marmite contains sugar and caramel, not found in UK Marmite. The base ingredients, while originally the same, are also now subtly different.

Frankly, it seems Unilever (now owners of Marmite) have a case against Sanitarium for misrepresentation!

I think the restrictions apply typically to mass importation of UK Marmite, and not to a couple of sealed jars in luggage. All the same, it seems odd to be prohibited from importing something similar, yet fundamentally different to a NZ-sourced product.

It should all be banned as a crime against good taste if you ask me....

But seriously, if you bring some back, declare it & they tell you to bin it - whats the financial risk? $10? Be much more if you dont declare & get caught, but I cant see anyone at the border giving a flying f**k if it's still sealed.

• Like 1

Just finished some a few weeks back, that came into NZ with a hippy-chick friend. Dunno if she declared it> I suspect so!

Also got piles of tunnocks <<< FAR more important!

FYI: while you may have a longing for english marmite, is really does taste like they forgot to put the flavouring in it ;) and I can only assume it thickens to a usable consistancy in the english "weather" ;)

Tunnocks...

don't forget the Tunnocks.

whoever makes it, iim not buying it after thier publicity stunt last year ruined it.

Changed to Vegemite, and couldnt be more content

/thread

www.google.co.nz/search?q=Tunnocks!&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:%7Breferrer:source%7D&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vRZ3VfVd58eYBfa2geAL&ved

And... BTW.. they have ruined the taste of Marmite with new recipe produced in the new factory. It's just not the same

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Tunnocks are yum. My mother-in-law has already bought some for me, so they'll be waiting when we get there.

And... BTW.. they have ruined the taste of Marmite with new recipe produced in the new factory. It's just not the same

Changed the recipe at the factory in the UK? Nooooo.....!

I know Sanitarium have messed around with it to make it more palatable to the stereotypical Kiwi sweet(er) tooth, but not the original. Please say it isn't true!

A friend brought me Tis yesterday. It's not bad TBH.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I recognize some of those Tunnocks packets, but not sure they will make it onto my buying list when I am back in the Mother Country.

List is..

1) Spitfire Ale

2) Jaffa Cakes

3) Percy Pigs from M&S

4) A proper balti

5) Cod'n'chips

6) Banks' Bitter

Hmm, might need some more luggage allowance on the way back I think.

bimmersport meet on Border Patrol next week is it?

• Like 3

But seriously, if you bring some back, declare it & they tell you to bin it - whats the financial risk? $10? Be much more if you dont declare & get caught, but I cant see anyone at the border giving a flying f**k if it's still sealed.

I think this pretty much sums it up. Border bods are interested in MAF regulations and illegal import/smuggling, and not so concerned with trademark or copyright infringement especially in small, personal use quantities.

For those who can't access the above, would it be at all similar to dip Caramello into Vegemite? :ph34r:

A friend brought me Tis yesterday. It's not bad TBH.

5f9ab9d6fe7e2a402ade2af779e9ce89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear god - why??? I reckon I'd have to gouge my tongue off after eating that.

Wtf is Tunnocks??

England just phoned - they said "Pack up, Piss off! YOU'RE FIRED!"

Three best products to come out of England, EVER:

Tunnocks Tea Cakes:

Tunnocks-teacake-008.jpg

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer:

TunnocksCaramelWafer.JPG

and my Falcon Oven B) (it's not rusty, doesn't leak oil, and it's only had one electrical problem, that only cost $20 to fix!)

• Like 1

A Mallowpuff and a Kitkat, is that what the fuss is all about?!?

That's no KitKat, no sirree... Sooo much better!

Im more surprised they still manufacture anything in the UK.

My English mates are always on about Jaffa cakes, tried one, not convinced TBH.

In terms of confectionary, the yanks have it down packed. Mathers Back Door in Mt Wellington is Sugar hear heaven.

http://www.marthasbackyard.co.nz

There is a good English shop in Pukekohe. They sell a lot of dodgy stuff. Have also see UK spec Marmite in select Supermarkets in the "speciality food" section.. so its not hard to get.

http://www.bestofbritishfood.co.nz/news.php?id=edit517f93700629a

• Like 1

Im more surprised they still manufacture anything in the UK.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but the truth is stranger than fiction.. Not much "English" gets made there, but lots of overseas companies have production sites there.

Last year the UK built and exported more cars than they imported... and they weren't all MINIs, Rolls-Royce or Bentley (or are they all German now anyway :huh::wacko::blink: ..). Nissan would be the biggest volume, plus also Toyota, Honda, etc.. And a few F1 cars as well apparently..

Oh yes. Some great Motorsport Engineering coming out of England.

A Mallowpuff and a Kitkat, is that what the fuss is all about?!?

no... that's like saying your 750i is the same as a chery - does the same basic thing...

Mallowpuffs and Kit kats are like you took the tunnocks stuff, and processed the hell out of it, then smeared it with marmite before eating.

Seriously.

no... that's like saying your 750i is the same as a chery - does the same basic thing...

Mallowpuffs and Kit kats are like you took the tunnocks stuff, and processed the hell out of it, then smeared it with marmite before eating.

Seriously.

To be fair... there are a lot more basic ingredients in a 750i vs a Cherry....

Mellow Puff = Puff and Biscuits base covered in Chocolate. How much better could it get?

And we are judging English food here, I mean, what have the English given the culinary world?

I think your average Kiwi food is basically the same.. not a strong point of our nations.

• Like 1