Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

How many E46 M3 CSL's remain?

Of the few that were sold NZ new, and imported, can anyone confirm the number in NZ?

I know of 3:

- Tom's CSL
- Roberts CSL

- Tauranga CSL.

Any others lurking about that someone might know.

Were there only 12ish that came into the country (imported and NZ new?)
Could someone confirm these numbers/facts? :D

Tom would know. I'm pretty sure that there is one here in Christchurch but I haven't seen it in a long time.

Other ones i can think of

Hawkes Bay (might have a new owner soon?)

Nelson (rally car, written off and swapped into another shell)

Wellington

Nik would know. He's a car stalker. Not sure what's his username on this forum. A CSL is next on my Wishlist...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom would know. I'm pretty sure that there is one here in Christchurch but I haven't seen it in a long time.

At least two in chch, one gray and one black there could be another black one but not 100% sure

Yes I hear a lot about these ones being scattered around the country - but cars do change hands, so I am under a slight belief that a car we may think is two different vehicles is actually one that has changed location/hands/driven around the country.

I had the pleasure of seeing Tom's and Roberts at the last big ECC meet, and then the one which popped up on BS for sale not too long ago, so I know for sure there are 3 out.. it's just finding the others :P

I believed 9ish were written off?

10 official imports 8 grey and 2 black ... majority were delimited and all had aircon, two without radio. One of those grey ones now live in Australia. One black one was completely written off and reshelled into a racecar. The only NZ new black one lives in Canterbury and have been for a while. The highest mileage one lives in Queenstown I believe.

The driver training car that was written off was a pre-production car - and this is NOT one of the 10 official imports (by the way, if anyone knows where this DME is, I would like to grab the DME dump from it as it runs a pre production tune - the person that bought the wreck did contact me a couple of times and I believe the running gear now lives in a racecar)

I stopped counting a while back, but I know of 3 grey imports (all in North Island when I asked last - many years ago) and 2 black (one in North Island and one in South) imports from the UK.

So I guess unofficially there are only 8 NZ new cars around and 5 imports that I have seen in person.

The one is Wellington is for sale after talking to the owner last month (the Turners Auction car / Drug kingpin Police impound car) - not sure if it has sold or not.

When you buying yours Amber?

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

^ Very low numbers. Much like my UZZ32 hydro active soarer. I've only been able to track down 7, ones mine, 2 have been parted, 1 other in Auckland, 3 in Wellington.

Rare cars are fun cars!

9 of the NZ new cars still had live registrations as at end of December '14

Jon

I keep hearing different stories about that black one that got written off ... I know at one stage it was registered as a tractor for a very long time, and that was when I heard through various sources that it was written off and reshelled into a racecar.

Then a few years later I was told it had been repaired ...

And then only last year, someone said they spotted it at a Rally ...

Very confusing this elusive black car or whatever happened to it.

As far as I am aware despite the live plates it is no longer the same car supposedly.

Oh and if anyone is thinking about buying one just be aware that a lot of the CSL exclusive parts (if they are actually still available - a lot of it is NLA) have gone up in price by quite a margin. The parts themselves are appreciating quicker than the car LOL!! I have been thinking about pulling the motor out of mine and put it on an engine stand and throwing a standard M3 engine in there and just tune that to CSL spec.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

And there were TWO pre-production units brought in, same colour, very similar specs. Possibly been confused as one car? Although one of those did end up in the drain...

And there were TWO pre-production units brought in, same colour, very similar specs. Possibly been confused as one car? Although one of those did end up in the drain...

Is that one still in the country? I did hear about this but have never been able to confirm - thanks!

Thank you Tom,

As per usual you are the legend behind the knowledge of these cars.

I'll get one eventually... Just you wait :ph34r:

Jon

I keep hearing different stories about that black one that got written off ... I know at one stage it was registered as a tractor for a very long time, and that was when I heard through various sources that it was written off and reshelled into a racecar.

Then a few years later I was told it had been repaired ...

And then only last year, someone said they spotted it at a Rally ...

Very confusing this elusive black car or whatever happened to it.

As far as I am aware despite the live plates it is no longer the same car supposedly.

Oh and if anyone is thinking about buying one just be aware that a lot of the CSL exclusive parts (if they are actually still available - a lot of it is NLA) have gone up in price by quite a margin. The parts themselves are appreciating quicker than the car LOL!! I have been thinking about pulling the motor out of mine and put it on an engine stand and throwing a standard M3 engine in there and just tune that to CSL spec.

You know... I know of a spare engine lying around that *was* bat sh*t quick from factory...

As far as I'm aware the rally car one got written off just after being prepped for race, came across a logging truck on dirt roads.... Then re shelled into a silver shell. I got sent photos of it earlier this year in a friends workshop in Nelson

Gulf Harbour - Black

Kumeu - Grey

Whangarei - Grey

Henderson - Grey (Robs)

• Like 1

One of the preproduction cars that ended up in NZ was the PP South African car.

Here is a good friend of my wife and I's one in Wanaka recently.

post-373-0-99518400-1434870106.jpg

• Like 2

My unicorn car.

One day one day.

To be fair you could replicate most of the CSL 'improvements' on a standard M3. While it wouldn't be factory it would be cheaper and obtainable.

Of course the extra details like the roof carbon and plastic panels do make it harder to do but anythings possible with the right direction & $

A lot of it must be down to the tune of the engine and gearbox electrics, seems some of the gurus can just flash CSL software on regular cars.

The rest must just be mechanical suspension changes with bolt on parts?

As Michael said `not to difficult to replicate` with less $ than genuine. Unfortunately the end result will never be a CSL.

It is sacrilege to tamper with an icon like the CSL.

The better approach is to extend on the stock M3 with mods that will equal and surpass a genuine CSL.

i.e 3.4/3.5 stroker,S62 or S85 powerplant with upgraded susp/brakes.

As a sidenote the different engines from the `00 era that are used to repower the E46 M3 are:

(S62 torque vs S54 torque makes for the best street mod/bang for buck.

The S54 engine in the E46 M3 is rated at 343 hp (DIN) or 333 hp (SAE) at 7,900 rpm and 262 lb/ft of torque at 4,900 rpm.

The CSL-spec S54 engine is rated at 360 hp (DIN) at 7,900 rpm and 273 lb-ft of torque at 4,300 rpm.

The E46 GTR 3,997-cc dry-sump motor produces 380 hp (DIN) at 7,000 rpm and 288 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm.

The S62 engine produces 400 hp (DIN) or 394 hp (SAE) at 6,600 rpm and 369 lb/ft of torque at 3,800 rpm

The S65 B40 is rated at 420 hp (DIN) / 414 hp (SAE) @ 8,300 rpm and 295 lb-ft of torque @ 3,900 rpm.

The S85 V10 is rated at 507 hp (DIN) / 500 hp (SAE) @ 7,750 rpm and 383 lb-ft of torque @ 6,100 rpm.

• Like 4

^ word.

Hard to beat a S62 E46 M3 custom package.

What more does one need?!

What more does one need?!

An S85 E46 M3 custom package? :P