Sign in to follow this  
shiman

E30 import either an M3 / 327is / 325is / 318is or Mtech

Ive seen it driven around town with "confidence" owned by a young guy.

Looks okay, far from perfect conditon.

Worth the 15k ? In my eyes no, but thats all up to the buyer.

+1 to all points above

Saw it today.... add +1 to everything above. Cylinder back firing and then severely missing... very disappointing seeing beautiful cars treated with no respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want something rare, this didnt sell in Japan so you might be able to pick it up next week?

Its a Alpina B2 2.5 (1 or 74?) but you have to live with LHD - but you would have if you got an E30 M3:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The highest bid this week was 670,000 yen.

can bring this in, it's an "R", accident damage

Would hope you will seriously readdress his asking price. He is in noddy land with the car condition v his price. Good luck :)

• Like 2

Would hope you will seriously readdress his asking price. He is in noddy land with the car condition v his price. Good luck :)

What would you say it worth?

I used to think that but now I am not so sure anymore. After following the various cars and whether they were E30 Mtech built in NZ from base 325i (rubbish) or 325i Mtech II (nice), or 325i Sport (better), or 325i MotorSport (even better) or M3 (holy moly!) one thing is certain they are definitely not kids cars anymore or for those who think just owning them is end goal. Look at what they are worth on the international market http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_cars.php?page=1&client_id=&category=&make=10&region=&country=&era=&advert_type=&price=&keyword=325i+sport&submit=Search

Edited by 333i wannabee

For 15k being spent on an e30 that isn't an M3, or 327i etc, you'd expect an absolutely immaculate example.
e30 tax is a thing, people are charging a premium price simply because they're popular with the "stance scene" in recent years. That price often doesn't take into account the condition of the vehicle.

I think you're a bit tunnel-visioned on wanting to buy a car ASAP, as opposed to shopping around and waiting for the perfect car (that fits your budget) to come along.
Multiple people have stated that the e30 you're interested in (black ///m325i) isn't in the greatest condition, the current owner drives it with gusto, and it doesn't appear to run 100% right. Take that into account as you'll be spending more money on the car in the near future if you decide to purchase it.

• Like 2

The thing that seems to be forgotten is that all of the 325i's have basically the same running gear (maybe an LSD or close ratio box?) So a "base" 325i will preform the same as a 325is/325i sport. Of course an m3 isn't a kids car, its a $50k car...

I also agree with the comments about price vs condition, also who puts reps on a $15k car?

dont think its just a stance thing. if anything its a post stance thing, all the nice ones were trashed during that time so there is not many genuine mostly untouched ones left. mainly why i have kept all the parts off my cabby that I have swapped so its still a matching numbers car should i ever need to sell it.

I would price mine at $15k if i had to sell, at the moment it is $20k for anyone interested.

re that black tech 2 on trade me... Owner claims it is "pretty much sold" and he'll be letting go of it tomorrow (saw on facebook)

Not you is it OP??

• Like 1

What would you say it worth?

I would virtually halve what he is asking for a somewhat bastardised car, allowing to spend money on resurecting. It would need to be an absolute mint original car to pay near 15k for.

• Like 2

dont think its just a stance thing. if anything its a post stance thing, all the nice ones were trashed during that time so there is not many genuine mostly untouched ones left. mainly why i have kept all the parts off my cabby that I have swapped so its still a matching numbers car should i ever need to sell it.

I would price mine at $15k if i had to sell, at the moment it is $20k for anyone interested.

Post a pic please and some specs as I would love to know what I would get for $20k

The thing that seems to be forgotten is that all of the 325i's have basically the same running gear (maybe an LSD or close ratio box?) So a "base" 325i will preform the same as a 325is/325i sport. Of course an m3 isn't a kids car, its a $50k car...

I also agree with the comments about price vs condition, also who puts reps on a $15k car?

I drove a standard and a mtech, they are pretty much the same, however I did drive also a genuine Motorsport from Germany and few years ago and that was amazing... The old Motorsport where not like now... I.e. Put some m rims and you get the badge. I remember in the 80's and early 90's Motorsport meant suspension, gearbox, etc. as well. At least it did in South Africa. However most of you guys want to buy NZ new and sadly most of them are rubbish as they base 325i dressed up. So yes you are in fact right if you talking about the NZ version. Bmw South Africa and Germany were competing with each other in the 80's that how South Africa had the 333i and 327i only. BMW Motorsport meant something then.

• Like 1

Post a pic please and some specs as I would love to know what I would get for $20k

Have a look here:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/45833-andys-calypsot-e30-convertible/

Re Andy's price I think this is a case of anythings for sale at the right price. As the above thread will show you the work Andy has put into his car

I drove a standard and a mtech, they are pretty much the same, however I did drive also a genuine Motorsport from Germany and few years ago and that was amazing... The old Motorsport where not like now... I.e. Put some m rims and you get the badge. I remember in the 80's and early 90's Motorsport meant suspension, gearbox, etc. as well. At least it did in South Africa. However most of you guys want to buy NZ new and sadly most of them are rubbish as they base 325i dressed up. So yes you are in fact right if you talking about the NZ version. Bmw South Africa and Germany were competing with each other in the 80's that how South Africa had the 333i and 327i only. BMW Motorsport meant something then.

Why not buy a 'base' 325i (which based on your description is what Andy's is) for less than $10k and build yourself a 327i or do a 24v swap and get yourself a really sorted e30 for $20k. $20k well spent will pay for an e30 and a lot of upgrades, maintenence and most other things you can think of (genuine 3pc BBS, respray, engine swaps/work, suspension, etc)

Edited by eliongater

Have a look here:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/45833-andys-calypsot-e30-convertible/

Re Andy's price I think this is a case of anythings for sale at the right price. As the above thread will show you the work Andy has put into his car

Pretty much,

Need to update that thread again soon.

I don't want to start the whole a When is an M Sport an M Sport debate again but from your comments I think you need to do a lot more research on these cars. The only thing which will tell you 100% is the factory build sheet using the VIN
  • Like 3

In New Zealand we had proper specced 'Motorsport' road cars, Other parts of the world called them 325i sport etc.

In New Zealand & Australia we had cars with larger 51mm shock housings, , up-rated sway bars, limited slip diff with various diff ratios, Recaro Motorsport seats and interior trim appointments, MS Steering wheel, Motosport bumpers / sides / spoliers, 15inch basket weaves and the big one was black hood lining. All m20b25 engines and ECUs where exactly the same as the non-motosport variants however exhaust where sometimes different depending on options ticked.

With the LSD and large shock / spring setup the car really came alive. Of course today when driving various examples it entirely depends if the suspension pushing nearly 30 years has been looked after etc.

This was at a time when New Zealand and Australian touring car and street races where at the pinnacle of touring car motorsport. BMW did well out of it here because of the various series in both countries and the stigma that came with the brand.

There have been various South African imports which generally are higher spec in the leather appointments and trip computers and long range tanks, however all of this stuff can be in the eye of the beholder.

A great car that was sold here was the 318is always dubbed the mini m3 as it had similar handling characteristics however wasn't as quick.

The (2.7ltr) South African cars you speak of are a different model designation. Built in the 80s for the motorsport series and designated the 325is. They came with 5lug suspension parts from the e30 m3, alloy doors and usual mtech2 motorsport appointments. The lowest price Ive seen for one of those in this country was 15k. That was when you could a tech2 for 8-10k. So times unfortunately have changed on that front too. There are only a couple of true 325is cars in this country. One of them a friend of mine owns.

• Like 1

Thanks for that "Hybrid". Great reading. I did not know the baby M3 was here, great car! BTW there is a 327is in South Africa, full service history, only done around 30K for $35K must be the youngest factory model in the world :)

Have messaged PJ he has one you might be keen on, i imagine he will be along soon.

Bought one, it's a Jap, it's red, it's 1 owner from new, full service history, it was cheap compare to the rubbish on TradeMe, however it's left hand drive but I think that good cause when I step into it to drive it will definitely be a unique experience. There are however a few things I am on the hunt for, E30 sports seats, BBS RS 16"/17" , manual transmission and a few other bits. It goes next week to Ross at BM Workshop in Botany and with his talents and my money we taking the car back to new... Can't wait to post some pics of the after, but for now this is what she looks like,

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I think you paid way to much for this IMO, Considering it's not a non Msport and automatic. You can get well optioned SA built e30's in RHD e30's with motorsport kits for half the price.

• Like 5

Have messaged PJ he has one you might be keen on, i imagine he will be along soon.

So what does PJ have?

So what does PJ have?

Had* Was an M325i with an m20b28, since sold

Oh. That does sound nice. Bummer.