Sign in to follow this  
shiman

E30 import either an M3 / 327is / 325is / 318is or Mtech

Hi I am a middle aged BMW enthusiast who wants to buy my 1st collectable (down to cost). I have been spending days trawling through this and other forums looking for current relevant info, speaking to some of the guys here and even though initially it was helpful I am now at a point of confusion not sure who has the car I can get checked and bring into NZ with no issue. I am even trying to get a mates 327is from South Africa but not sure if that is possible. Any help through links on relevant current options from reputable sources would be highly appreciated and possibly a breakdown on cost I can expect, thanks. Only looking for solid opinions or better, facts, thanks.

Below are 2 options I was thinking of but not too happy about the piston heads option plus I heard it is much cheaper from Japan, not sure.... Thanks once again for your help.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e30-3-series-82-94

http://www.japanesecarbazaar.com/1989-bmw-m3/

There was a e30 333i on trademe a few months ago. Think the seller was asking for high $20k's... Might be better off just looking at motorsport 325i e30's. There's a couple around.

Hello and welcome to the forum. The internet is great for conflicting advice isn't it? I can understand how you are getting into a state over this.

Pretty much any E30 can now be brought into NZ as they are all over 20 years old, so don't need to meet emissions and impact laws, and LHD can be brought in as well.

My suggestion for where to start would be on your budget, and work backwards from there. The days of cheap E30 M3s are pretty much gone (but I still keep hoping to find one), although some other models can still be had for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum. The internet is great for conflicting advice isn't it? I can understand how you are getting into a state over this.

Pretty much any E30 can now be brought into NZ as they are all over 20 years old, so don't need to meet emissions and impact laws, and LHD can be brought in as well.

My suggestion for where to start would be on your budget, and work backwards from there. The days of cheap E30 M3s are pretty much gone (but I still keep hoping to find one), although some other models can still be had for a reasonable price.

neat so i can buy a 325iX!

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. But how do I work a budget if I cannot find a supplier and a cost for import, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. But how do I work a budget if I cannot find a supplier and a cost for import, etc. etc. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what is your budget for a car landed on the road in New Zealand?

Well what is your budget for a car landed on the road in New Zealand?

Between $10 000 to $20 000 I guess

Good luck getting anything other than a m325i or 318is for that.

You will be out of luck with any S14 (M3 engine) powered cars.

If I were you Id stick to NZ so you can see what you are purchasing. Id look for either a E30 M325i or an E36 M3.

I dont know what the South African models are worth.

• Like 1

Ok, so work backwards from your $20k

Allow $1,000 for compliance + rego

Gives you $19k landed.

Allow $4k for shipping, port costs, MAF, etc

Import duties, at 15% is just under $2k

Leaves you $13k NZD to buy the car with.

Now the dollar is slipping that is not a huge amount, but still enough to get something interesting.

Have a trawl on the internet and see what you can turn up..

NOTE: Disclaimer - costs are rough guides based on my experiences a few years ago and may vary in real life, but can give an idea.

• Like 1

I think hellbm might have a tech2 still? For around 15k mark.

E30 m3 prices only dropped to 20k around 6-7 years ago. There are a couple of rusty ones around for that price I think but the Sellars have given up advertising them quite some time a go.

Any ones that I would class as in great condition for collecting are floated from time to time at 38-45k. Mint ones 50-80k and special edition e30 m3s eg sport evo well north of 80k

The true m325I are actually a wonderful car to own. They provide such a satisfying driving in standard form. Once you get over the fact that horse power isn't everything they're some of the best fun with your pants on out there.

Absolutely, I am in it for the look and drive, in fact I am not so crazy about the E30 M3 rear square spoiler.

I have decided if I cannot get a great E30, I may settle for a Z4 coupe... that is the one with the hard top. They look quite aggressive but will 1st try and get the perfect E30

If you want something rare, this didnt sell in Japan so you might be able to pick it up next week?

Its a Alpina B2 2.5 (1 or 74?) but you have to live with LHD - but you would have if you got an E30 M3:

3bcc17fa816974c29494ad7c0cfc763a_zpsjc8z

f51ac8c19d3a188b2bf635ace342d23b_zpsml5l

9c39bbb45a6ea527499343875f1480fb_zpsysty

87e410fddf0762991a9e01c7bff604bc_zpsr4iw

The highest bid this week was 670,000 yen.

The highest bid this week was 670,000 yen.

That was nearly as high as the rear suspension ;)

• Like 1

I have decided if I cannot get a great E30, I may settle for a Z4 coupe... that is the one with the hard top. They look quite aggressive but will 1st try and get the perfect E30

Pretty sure any m coupes will be more expensive than 95% of e30s.

This might sound harsh but have you done any research Or just gone straight to a forum without even a brief glance at trademe (heck, even ebay)?

Have been looking at them on trademe however finding it quite frustrating as many are owned by kids with no money to maintain them. Yep a Z4 coupe is a bit more e30 but justifiable. Most E30 on trademe at the moment are not worth as much as the sellers are putting them out to be as they have not been well maintained and are now on sale after a year of ownership and realisation.

Have been looking at them on trademe however finding it quite frustrating as many are owned by kids with no money to maintain them. Yep a Z4 coupe is a bit more e30 but justifiable. Most E30 on trademe at the moment are not worth as much as the sellers are putting them out to be as they have not been well maintained and are now on sale after a year of ownership and realisation.

And most of the good ones, just aren't for sale, or the owners end up selling them directly, without trademe etc, as they are desirable to the right people.

Start showing up to classic car meets, put feelers out with owners of similar cars or cars you want to buy.

Keep an eye out on here and PM members with cars you like to see if they're keen to sell or know of other cars that might be for sale.

Make friends with the enthusiast guy at the parts department of your local BMW dealer, they see lots of nice cars pull into the car park on a Saturday morning.

As mentioned above most really tidy E30s aren't for sale publicly but usually are if the owners are offered the right price. :)

Thanks Mark, I wish someone would raise their hand, however I do have my Mech, Ross at BMWorkshop in Botany keeping an eye out for one. Will see what happens.

Ive seen it driven around town with "confidence" owned by a young guy.

Looks okay, far from perfect conditon.

Worth the 15k ? In my eyes no, but thats all up to the buyer.