Sign in to follow this  
qube

Genuine VS OEM pulleys

Hi everyone

Im just trying to order some idler/tensioner pulleys etc and noticed a fair bit of price difference between Genuine BMW and OEM (like Meyle)

On the FCPeuro, price of oem is half that of genuine bmw

(rang auckland city bmw parts and found that its double the cost of genuine bmw online haha)

Is there any problem going for meyle or similar oem manufactured pulleys?

Thanks

that is a great price..too bad i already placed the order with milland $180 for 2 pulleys and drive belt.

good enough for me considering ill be getting it on monday and help out the local business :D

• Like 1

Meyle, Behr, Boge etc are all OEM manufacturers. Only difference between an OEM listed part and a Genuine part on Pelican is the branding on the box it comes in.

So far the stuff I've had from Pelican has all been excellent quality, and even with the added shipping & currency conversion costs still cheaper (frequently less hassle too) than buying new locally. Probably not so much now our currency cross rates are in the low 60s.

Ethically I prefer to buy from local suppliers, but when the aftermarket suppliers are still 100%+ more expensive in some instances (not always, but often) than buying online it's really hard to justify it sometimes. Yes, I'm well aware of smaller markets, less demand equalling higher margins on small run products, but when the budget dictates I can spend a maximum of $x on parts and my options are imported OEM or local aftermarket then in my opinion it's a no brainer.

• Like 3

Meyle, Behr, Boge etc are all OEM manufacturers. Only difference between an OEM listed part and a Genuine part on Pelican is the branding on the box it comes in.

Not True.

However if its by a reputable manufacturer, one is as good as another

So when Meyle supply both the manufacturer and the private market with the same part how is that not OEM?

eg: the radiator I bought to replace the blown original Behr item in my 530i was a Behr, supplied as an OEM manufacturer part from Pelican. Far as I'm concerned it's a genuine part without the BMW markup. Or, say, buying Sachs shocks instead of BMW Genuine ones - where's the difference????

Not True.

However if its by a reputable manufacturer, one is as good as another

Andy. Not sure what you mean as not being true?

Those suppliers mentioned (+ many others) are suppliers to BMW & therefore come in a BMW box. Many of these can also be purchased under there own branding as well, & often much cheaper than BMW branded.

what im curious about is:

if it really is just the packaging for bmw that makes the price go up, why can pelican and other online car parts stores sell them? why is it not limited to actual authorised bmw parts departments?

I purchased from milland because A) its the fastest way for me to get the parts I need but still (B) its cheaper than buying from the local bmw parts department and © although its not genuine bmw its OEM and I believe its a good quality product

Sure, I can get it even cheaper through pelican etc and I probably will for some other expensive items or things I dont need urgently but in this case this was the best option (for me) and was wondering what people thought about OEM vs actual BMW box bmw logo stamped/embossed/engraved in the plastic/metal blah blah blah

^^^^^^ Nothing wrong with going for the branded products. You will find a lot of Milland parts will be of brands of suppliers to BMW AG

I have a contact in Europe for BMW AG parts & mostly better pricing than Pelican too. Also much sharper shipping

• Like 1

I suspect in the case of Pelican, FCP etc they can buy in bulk quantities from the manufacturer and onsell themselves without having margins dictated to them by BMW, Porsche etc.

I have wondered myself how manufacturers sell parts given they're probably designed by the clients engineers - in the case of an M60 power steer pulley who would actually own the rights to the design - BMW or Meyle? Assuming of course that Meyle is the OEM manufacturer, lest I get told off for being wrong.

^^^^^^ Nothing wrong with going for the branded products. You will find a lot of Milland parts will be of brands of suppliers to BMW AG

I have a contact in Europe for BMW AG parts & mostly better pricing than Pelican too. Also much sharper shipping

Lol, do you take orders on behalf? :)

So much mis-information and mis-use of the term OEM, some deliberate and some accidental.

And you might be quite surprised by the differences between some "genuine" parts compared to "OEM" parts made in the same factory. Not all of them, but certainly some.

P&A sales are also where component suppliers try to make some money after being screwed into the ground for the OE contract.

• Like 1

And you might be quite surprised by the differences between some "genuine" parts compared to "OEM" parts made in the same factory. Not all of them, but certainly some.

True indeed. We see it sometimes with Merc parts at work, where itll be the same OEM brand as the genuine part, but is actually made cheaper (slightly different design, different material etc etc).

so after ordering the parts, receiving them and trying to fit them today, i noticed after opening it all up that my car has a bloody mechanical tensioner not a hydraulic one and so i have a pulley for a hydraulic one which doesnt fit. Also found out after researching online that they dont sell pulleys only for the mechanical as its apparently a failing design and bmw will only sell you a complete unit (which im going to assume costs around $450nzd)

after further research i found a few alternatives such as a Gates 38018 tensioner pulley which is only like 14usd but have read mixed reviews about it. also some stories about the bearings being made in china despite the pulley itself being sold as a made in germany part.

anyway, my question is - should i 'upgrade' to the hydraulic tensioner unit? ive found 'kits' available online about $80usd for a INA branded one.

ALSO

why did REALOEMtell me that my car was a hydraulic tensioner? i only found out that it was mechanical after i actually decided to look inside..

i put in the exact manufacture date and everything correctly and it was the right build model..

i mean if my car had the older mechanical tensioner on the REALOEM page but after opening it up discovered it to be hydraulic i would have been less surprised as it means it was upgraded in the past. but it makes no sense the other way around...

*note* this is NOT for the e36

edit: picture

left is the pulley for a hydraulic unit and right is the one pulled from the car (mechanica)

post-3185-0-95169900-1445495768_thumb.jp

Edited by QUBE

In realoem did you enter the last 7 digits of your vin number, or just enter the date of manufacture etc?

In other news a friend and I enjoyed sushi at your cafe yesterday. It was very good and your father is very friendly.

• Like 1

i definitely put the last 7 digits of the vin and re-confirmed the manufacture date. anyway guess i gotta fork out some more money to upgrade to hydraulic kit.

thanks for your feedback about the sushi :) appreciate it haha

will post up on the projects section over the weekend. was hoping to get these damn pulleys sorted but guess ill have to leave it for now while i get the right parts..

You and Amber go to the same school of secrecy or what?

• Like 2