Sign in to follow this  
Burgess

Quick Poll if you don't mind

Just bough a 2010 135i Coupe 60k kms

Really like thus far.

Haven't owned a Bavarian for more than 20 years.

Feelings/thoughts on aftermarket warranties? Worth it or not?

Thanks in advance

Not a fan, but that's just my opinion.

They usually make you get it serviced at places of their choosing only, and usually the service intervals are excessive.

They do this so that if you miss a service the warranty is void.

- mechanical warranty cost $2-3000 for 3 years

- servicing requirements $1000+- every 12 months or 15,000 kms

- transmission fluid service $750+-

- can only claim for one fault/issue at a time with an excess of roughly $250

basically, in my opinion, the costs of the above are usually more than enough to cover most minor faults that you will have with a car thats only done 60k's.

For example, if you had a faulty sensor that cost $200, you wouldnt claim that because the excess is higher.

Also, because you need all servicing to be signed off by a registered and authorised service centre, you basically cant do your own oil and filter changes. (Well, you can, but you will still need to fullfill the authorised service every 12 months/15,000kms requirement otherwise they wont accept your claim in the event of a problem)

You can save a lot of money by buying parts from overseas and DIY for most maintenance things if you are so inclined/willing and if this is the case, then mechanical warranty is not really suitable/beneficial.

If you have a lot of money and just want to pay someone to do the servicing, then buying mechanical warranty basically will save your ass if you engine/trans blows up. but even then, usually it only pays out upto $5000 (depending on which company you choose) and im pretty sure the 135i engine alone costs more than that even if its a rebuild in which case you still will have to fork out extra on top of the payout.

In my personal experience, I paid just over $2000 for mechanical warranty and only ever used it once for a faulty fuel pump which cost me just the excess of $250, but the total bill was $1800 or so (repaired at the stealerships service centre). So in the end it wasnt TOO bad but to be honest, I could have easily done it myself and the part would have probably cost me like $600.

My answer is NO to mechanical warranty!

• Like 2

You would be unwise not to take out a mechanical warranty on your 135i, done 60k, especially if it is an import. Some of what has been previously said is not correct. Give me a call next week if you like. There are good policies & bad

• Like 3

I would be inclined to get one if I was you. As Glenn said, some companies are good, others not so. Autosure are one for the best to deal with from a repair centre perspective

Theres always two sides to a coin and I am sure that there will be some good reasons for taking out a mechanical warranty for your 135i. Definitely speak to Glenn and get his advice too before you make any decisions!

edit: my experience was with Janssens - average. I have heard good things about Autosure though

Edited by QUBE

I don't go in for warranties like this, but I tend to buy older cars and then normally fix them myself. My experience is, therefore, irrelevant.

In your position I would certainly take Glenn up on his offer of having a chat. You'll be better informed and able to make a decision.

paid 2k for my 4 year warranty from Autosure. recommended to get into the warranty and keep up with servicing and standard replacement at independents like glenn's.

think of it is insurance for your wallet.

talk to AA too for their MBI cover.

Give me a call next week if you like. There are good policies & bad

This ^^^

Glenn would be the man to speak to.

Don't most x35i's frequently require two new turbos? Or did they fix that?

If this is true then a warranty is essential IMHO.

Don't most x35i's frequently require two new turbos? Or did they fix that?

If this is true then a warranty is essential IMHO.

frequently?

Paid for itself (a couple of times over) when the transmission on the 320d said "no more!"

frequently?

For lack of a better word.

Try "reliably".

Autosure good. Mainstream are ok, Janssens are not good. Only dealt with these three, judged by my experiences as a tech.

When it comes to your 135 it would make sense to get breakdown insurance. A friend spent over 3k in his first year of ownership on replacing; cracked rocker cover, blown charge pipe, failed electric water pump and thermostat, bluetooth repair, the list goes on....

15k or annual service intervals are not excessive and all that you require. Use any reputable garage you like.

I would say it would be well worth it if you get Autosure extreme. It covers pretty much everything with some exceptions, read the fine print on the policy wording. You also get AA road service included. You should be aware that most policies won't cover suspension components due to wear etc, essentially any rubbers or consumables like brakes, tyres, bushes, ball joints, really anything that is checked in a service and should be replaced as such.

Good luck!

• Like 1

There are good ones and bad like everyone said.

I have one on my 5 series. I do the work myself and bill it through my work (Im a Mechanic), which is fine by the Warranty company as long as I have legit receipts and invoices.