Allanw

FS: Dads E30 325i SE

21639508774_2d87af5dd2.jpg

21639606954_e6f858f57b.jpg

22272932531_25618b0d26.jpg

22236403916_329af3f070.jpg

22262349795_596e45a5c0.jpg

This is my parents 1990 E30 325i SE

Linnk to previous post, more info and photos: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/54221-e30-respect/

It is a factory 5 speed manual transmission, NZ New, Sedan.

Dad says this is the best car he’s ever owned, and it’s not the newest he’s had! They’ve had it for 17 years, but have suddenly decided it’s time for something newer and automatic (old people suddenly panicking that they’re old!).

The cambelt, tensioner, waterpump, rocker cover gasket and coolant have all been done within the last 200kms. The radiator has been replaced regularly to prevent problems. It has a set of 4 new 205-55-R15 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003’s fitted about 500 kms ago (nearly $1000).

It was my parents only car for many years, so always had anything fixed when required. It’s now done nearly 232K kms.

It’s NZ New, so German assembled, and being a late E30, has the bugs ironed out; The steering rack (common issue) was repaired/resleeved not too long after they bought it, the SI batteries work well, and have never failed, the odometer on this one has ALWAYS worked (a lot of E30’s have had broken odometers for years) It has NO dash cracks and includes a moulded carpet cover.

Being an SE spec, it has many options, including: Shadowline (black) trim, body colour bumpers/mirrors, velour upholstery, “premium” sound system (it’s original to the car), body colour touring style sideskirts, body colour lower valances front and rear, 15” weaves (cross-spoke) alloys like the motorsport ones, illuminated gear knob, 3 spoke “sport” steering wheel, 4 headrests, AC, ABS, Sunroof, body coloured boot lip spoiler, blue tinted windows and mirrors, Full OBC (On Board Computer), lined bootlid with tool tray, Ski Flap from boot into cabin, BMW NZ towbar, mudflaps, electric windows and sunroof, rear view mirror map lights, etc

The bad:

AC not really cold, but runs (probably just a top up would work OK)

tape player doesn’t work – probably needs a belt inside

Gear knob leather is very worn

Ski flap cover in boot is cracked

The sunroof panel has some small rust bubbles (common issue – NOT in the car body, just the replaceable panel – has been like it for a couple of years)

Side Mirrors have some corrosion under the paint on the aluminium bases (I only noticed this recently, easy to sand and repaint)

Chips on the bonnet etc and some small marks here and there (It is very nearly 25 years old!)

The spoiler on the boot needs painting – it’s a faded, but the rest of the car is good.

It’s by no means an immaculate car, but’s it’s a very good, honest, reliable E30, that’s UN-molested, UN-thrashed and UN-modified. These 325i SE manual sedans are one of the more desirable E30s because of the additional power and factory fitted goodies over the more common models like the 318i and 320i. The E30 is fast becoming a cult classic, as it’s the model that really seemed to bring the masses to the BMW stable.

My parents (and all of us!) are going to be very disappointed to see it go, but my parents already have a '29 Ford Model A and a replacement for this car, and it's not something I can store long term, currently.

No swaps or trades thanks.

The Car is near Whangarei, and can be viewed by appointment, by those genuinely interested.

Looking for $8500, and will go on Trademe probably next week.

Thanks,

Allan

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 2

Oh yeah, since some of us are BMW nerds, it's Glacier Blue ;)

• Like 2

thought it was this car for a bit had to check plates

looks like a good example!

• Like 1

thought it was this car for a bit had to check plates

looks like a good example!

Yeah, I've watched that vid, and I'm picking Nick spent a fortune on that car - shame it's an Auto, really. He's had/got some very nice cars in the US, and that's his steed when he's back home - pretty cool!

If Dad had the space, I'm pretty sure he'd keep it, and use it on nice days. If he won Lotto this week, it'd get stripped back to bare bones, and have a nut and bolt typre restoration done, THEN get parked in the garage for nice days B) It's not a minter (not by my standards anyway), but it's a good, honest car. It's had no rust repairs or accidents, so you can see what it is. It's had the bonnet and front guards resprayed YEARS ago, but only because it was keyed while parked on the street at a friends birthday party (arseholes!)

I remember when he got it - I drove it home from Auckland for him B) . He'd been using my '66 VW Beetle for probably 9 months, because he'd sold his previous (newer) car and was waiting for the right E30 to find him. It's such a shame to sell it after all these years, but they're old people now, and it's their time to move on.

Dads had all his cars for long periods of time, but NEVER has one caused any kind of sentimental attachment before - Fords, Holdens and the Toyota were all sold without another thought, but the E30 has really become part of the family.

Dad even has stories about it, and loves that people will go out of their way to come and ask him about it, or he comes back to it when parked, and people are looking at it, or talking about it. I think they're often shocked at the grey headed old geezer getting into it and driving off :lol:

Does it have seat belts in the back, and would you throw in a jetski?

smiley-sitting-on-egg-emoticon.gif

Its a great looking car, not often you see such tidy and original examples around anymore. Not even the drivers seat is torn!

Someone is going to get a bargain, i just hope it goes to the right home and it doesnt get ruined.

• Like 2

Kinda makes me a bit sad that your dad has decided to let it go - really hope the new owner treats it well and doesn't ruin it with coilovers and some stance bollocks! Ten bucks says the replacement auto is nowhere near as reliable as this either

• Like 1

FYI - being NZ new, it has no emmisions gear from the factory, so so cats, and still on it's complete original exhaust!

The stock exhaust makes a nice noise too! Throaty, without being annoying. I just happened to be walking out of an admin building at the hospital where I work, talking to my boss about Dads car. As we walked out the door, I turned to him and said I could hear it :lol: He laughed, and I pointed out to the main road, just as Dad came into view after pulling out of the main gate B) My Boss just about pissed himself laughing, that I knew it by sound, even in such a busy place B)

Its a great looking car, not often you see such tidy and original examples around anymore. Not even the drivers seat is torn!

Someone is going to get a bargain, i just hope it goes to the right home and it doesnt get ruined.

The interior is actually pretty amazing, the leather on the gear knob is poked, but it's the original factory illuminated one, so we've left it The seats themselves had skeepskins on it's entire life, so they're basically like new..

If someone a bit dodgy showed up, they probably wouldn't get very far ;)

Kinda makes me a bit sad that your dad has decided to let it go - really hope the new owner treats it well and doesn't ruin it with coilovers and some stance bollocks! Ten bucks says the replacement auto is nowhere near as reliable as this either

I think if someone does buy it to pimp a bit, it'll probably be well done. Trademe is often full of shitter 325i's that've already been half wrecked, that "those" kinds of people tend to buy, as they're so much cheaper. For a reason ;)

Hopefully Bruce (ashmill) is still interested ;)

• Like 1

Just noticed that in your engine bay shot, your valve cover vent hose isn't hooked up, and your radiator cap is missing.
Very tidy car though, GLWS.

Just noticed that in your engine bay shot, your valve cover vent hose isn't hooked up, and your radiator cap is missing.

Very tidy car though, GLWS.

Hehe - that was actually at the end of the cambelt replacement, so it was still to be filled with coolant, and the cover was just going back on :-)

If one was to really nitpick it would also run better with the radiator temp sender plugged in. But I'm not one to nitpick ;)

• Like 1

Hope it went to a good home Allan?

Hope it went to a good home Allan?

I believe so.

I think the price filtered out those who were going to screw it over - It's one of those cars that will always be worth good money, as long as it's left alone, looked after and respected.

It's honestly been an amazing little car.

• Like 1

Jyst out of interest what part of the country will it now be residing in?

Wish it was me Allan - timing not right. Hope you found a good home for it.

Jyst out of interest what part of the country will it now be residing in?

Christchurch - It's got a loooooong drive to it's new home!

Wish it was me Allan - timing not right. Hope you found a good home for it.

So do I! Would have been great to see it nearby, but I think it'll be safe B)