Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E36 transmission and differential fluid change

1995 E36 318i 5-speed (factory) manual. No dog-leg, reverse is next to 1, 5 next to 3. I think this is a Getrag 250G. (Did BMW use different manufacturers for their 5-speed manual gearboxes at this stage in production, maybe ZF, Getrag, GM, Jatco...?)

I'm comfortable with the diff oil requirements. EP - Extreme Pressure - oil of any appropriate viscosity, used to lubricate hypoid gears.

However, the E36 gearbox appears a different kettle of cogs.

Trying to find a definitive answer has eluded me. Calls for 75W, 80W, 75W90, ATF (but not manufacturer X's ATF - need to use their other product), synthetic, non-synthetic...

There's talk of different colour labels on the gearbox. Or no label.

RealOEM sort-of helps. But doesn't:

post-51211-0-35112300-1469235874.jpg

So it could be ATF (any particular ATF???), or it could be MTF LT-2 which is a SAE 75W80. Look at the label? I can't see a label! And RealOEM tells me there might be a label, but doesn't tell me where it is!

<sigh>

I'm not a fan of draining what is in there and replacing like-for-like. Maybe I flatter myself as being reasonably tech-savvy, but if I can't work this out from information available, should I rely on a PO to have been able to?

If this is a Getrag 250G, knowing that hasn't helped... I have found reference to using Dexron III, and to using MTF LT-2 in the 250. I'm fairly sure they aren't interchangeable!

Anyone have a definitive answer?

If this is a Getrag 250G, that hasn't helped... I have found reference to using Dexron III, and to using MTF LT-2. I'm fairly sure they aren't interchangeable!

Hi

Getrag 220 5 speed manual box in my Z3 had the MTF- LT-2 label. I put in Redline D4 ATF which is a GL4 rated oil and don't have any problems. The research I did showed that it had the same viscosity at 40C and 100C as the original oil.

Regards

Muzz

• Like 1

Thanks Muzz.

Check the Castrol web site and use the oil selector, ZF manuual gearbox ( in my 328) like many use an ATF fluid , Castrol confirms this

Bently manual for E 36's says ATF

Thanks Ron.

From Castrol: "Check for colour-coded label next to filler plug. If no label fitted, use MANUAL VMX 80. With orange coloured label, use ATF DEX III; with green or blue label, Refer to Dealer or Castrol Technical Department 0800 10 40 60. Do NOT mix fluid types."

It did confirm I have the correct engine oil and diff oil! :)

Just chuck in some bananas and you will be sweetas bro

• Like 1

Just chuck in some bananas and you will be sweetas bro

Did you change the headlight oil yet???

Oh, you guys...! :blush:

All ive ever used is in BMW manuals is Royal Purple Syncromax, Redline D4 ATF and MTL. In your case you'd use D4 ATF and call it a day.

Ive used MTL and D4 in my parents E46 318i, the D4 is smoother when cold but MTL shifts the best once warmed.

• Like 1

All ive ever used is in BMW manuals is Royal Purple Syncromax, Redline D4 ATF and MTL. In your case you'd use D4 ATF and call it a day.

Ive used MTL and D4 in my parents E46 318i, the D4 is smoother when cold but MTL shifts the best once warmed.

Thanks Jared.

Or call Kayne Barrie. Make sure you throw him some business once you get the best advice in the game for free. :)

• Like 1

For a while it appeared to be pot luck. If there's a black label, it requires MTF- LT-2. If there's a red/orange label, it requires ATF. If there's no label, refer to your main dealer.

However, there seems to be a break where BMW introduced the use of MTF- LT-2, sometime around 1998. This was used in the later E36s, and the E46s etc.

I've even now found a 1995 US-spec 318Ti owners manual which states "Manual Transmission: 1.2 quarts. Use only brand name automatic transmission fluids of Dexron II."

I thought it was Dexron III, but that's details given neither is manufactured any longer. Later Dexron fluids are said to be backwards compatible, so Dexron VI can be used where Dexron II would have been specified.

Regardless, it looks like Miss M's car needs ATF, and not a MTF. :)

Now I need to find something suitable, and suitably priced!

Edited by gjm

The Redline website offers some slightly different information (although it concurs in the case of Miss M's car):

"Respected BMW tech expert confidently recommend MTL for every BMW manual gearbox (early boxes right up to currect day) without complaints and many years of success. The early gearboxes (through 1985) take our MTL, a 70W80 GL-4 fluid. From 1986 to 1992, it is a bit trickier in that there are three different transmissions identified by a label on the passenger side of the bell housing. That with a green label and a 17mm hex drain plug uses MT-90, a red label and 17mm plug uses D4 ATF, and that with no label and a 15mm drain plug uses MTL."

Or call Kayne Barrie. Make sure you throw him some business once you get the best advice in the game for free. :)

It's Sunday! And I think Kayne is out of the country anyway...

Edit: He's been at Manfeild.

Edited by gjm

The Royal Purple that Jared said is great stuff - I think it says it can be used anywhere ATF was specified in a manual box.

I thought BMW specified different lubes for the same box sometimes, and had a different label on.

I put the Royal Purple in the E39 ( I thought it had a Getrag 250?), and it shifts so much better - it went in at about 120K I think, now got 155K on in, and it still fells much nicere than the old stuff that was in it.

• Like 1

Getrag 250G holds a total of 1.25 litres of fluid. Not much, really...

I have 8 liters of Penrite ATF-FS in the garage, waiting for the next change in the 320d. That said, I've used it in the 500SE and 190E too... I'll check of course, but it should be suitable for the 250G: it is suitable for any gearbox where Dexron II, III or VI is specified. It's specification exceeds Dexron III.

I may get something a little cheaper (but still appropriate specification) to use to flush the gearbox first. Not a pumped flush, just a drain, use for 100km or so, and replace. The car has covered over 225000km and I doubt anyone has given it a thought. Such is all-too-often the case with a 'filled for life' statement from the manufacturer.

Edited by gjm