Cammsport

E30 Bronzit Coupe Project

What's everyone's consensus on mounting exterior panels? I've used 3M auto tape before but I worry it eats into the paint. I've seen @Olafpost about sealent/windscreen glue. What's everyone's thoughts? I don't want anything too permanent as my mind changes like the weather. Definitely not keen on drilling through the boot lid. 

Good power for a stock M52!

Would hate to know how little mine makes now, although its still loads of fun - hopefully this time next year I'll be able to rebuild and stroke it with a mild cam - keep it very driveable.

Love the Tech 1 wing - have been tempted to put one on mine at times but I will keep the chunky Tech2 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cammsport said:

What's everyone's consensus on mounting exterior panels? I've used 3M auto tape before but I worry it eats into the paint. I've seen @Olafpost about sealent/windscreen glue. What's everyone's thoughts? I don't want anything too permanent as my mind changes like the weather. Definitely not keen on drilling through the boot lid. 

3M tape is bloody brilliant for mounting number plates, monsoon shields etc… I’d use it happily for body parts.  It’s not coming off in a hurry so you’ll not see paint damage unless you cause it by removing the panel 😀

edit: oh and my use of windscreen sealant wasn’t ideal for the spoiler - that was more about keeping water out.  Good hints on my thread follow.

next time I’ll be using a non-drilled lid, and non-penetrative fixings.

😀

Edited by Olaf
Update
  • Thanks 1

I knew the wiper blades were done, but I thought I'd fly through. Game plan is to lengthen the adjustment rod for the brake booster and then tighten the adjustment nut on the bottom of the Z3 rack. I don't want to tighten the nut alot as I don't think there is any issue at all. No play in UJs. Rack ends are new and tight. 

I'm also judging the inspector for his handwriting and wording 😅

20230314_111352.thumb.jpg.609cc690730c8c1a6e382ccd57ebc690.jpg

Edited by Cammsport
  • Like 1

Seriously that inspector should be hand writing scripts for the local GP.

Edited by Twistee
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Twistee said:

Seriously that inspector should be hand writing scripts for the local GP.

I can read it...ergo he won't be entering medical practice anytime soon

ERnY1piW4AExKq2.jpeg

• Haha 3

"improve brake pedal travel".  Do they want less or more!?  I recall Jon explaining to me that pedal height is adjustable.  All the rest of braking stuff is covered in the "Bibles".

"Provide LVV Cert Plate Location".  Could they not find the plate?

I shortened the pull-rod from the pedal to the booster and admittedly the brakes are night and day better. Less travel to engage the brakes. Pedal distance can't be adjusted due to the position of the brake light micro switch (unless you modified the steel assembly). 

After a closer inspection, the clamp onto the shaft on the steering rack was loose! This is hopefully the play they mentioned. I'm bloody glad he found it, although it wouldn't have come apart due to the recess on the shaft for the bolt to go through. New 8.8 bolt and STEEL self-locking nut installed. The nylon must not have appreciated the heat from the manifold. 

My cert plate is under the trunk carpet as I didn't want it in an obvious location like engine bay or door jam. 

Edited by Cammsport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Cammsport said:

My cert plate is under the trunk carpet as I didn't want it in an obvious location like engine bay or door jam. 

On my Touran, you open the rear hatch, open the in-floor storage compartment, lift out the access panel where the "mobility kit" used to live, fold over the insulation sheet and there it is! Riveted to the floor, that was cut out and flipped over for the 4WD to get fitted 😂

Lucky I always have the same WOF guy... but I still open it up every time 😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

TIL the 4Motion R32 Touran wasn't actually a thing! You got any build pictures / threads @Allanw

• Like 1

You need to start bringing this back to me lol

• Like 2

Hi all, bit of a thread jacking going on here 😅 much appreciated if you could remove posts/comments from the tiguan one, onwards ❤️❤️❤️

• Thanks 1