Jacko

The 130i Thread

Street pads? I reckon the stock Textar ones are sound, albeit dusty.

Will take a look. I think it will come down to shipping. 

FCP just advertised something like 70% cheaper international shipping, havent looked, but looked interesting.

Its not really apples to apples, as I have big yellow brakes, but really rate the Brembo NAO pads in them (for spirted street use at least)

Looks more like reduction on large\expensive to ship items rather than cheap\small packages. Spareto still miles cheaper in the few things i priced up.

• Like 1

Hey all,

I had to remove the rear bench seat (to retrieve my daughter’s earring 🙄), and came uncross a random, unconnected wire. 

Does anyone know what this would be for? Or is it a redundant connector for an option I don’t have?

Cheers

AndyIMG_2137.thumb.jpeg.f2c8f1b5d5a25f33ed94b2e39e0ff581.jpegIMG_2138.thumb.jpeg.a01e1e15a0f47da193fe1740c192e0d5.jpeg

3 hours ago, AndyB said:

Hey all,

I had to remove the rear bench seat (to retrieve my daughter’s earring 🙄), and came uncross a random, unconnected wire. 

Does anyone know what this would be for? Or is it a redundant connector for an option I don’t have?

Cheers

AndyIMG_2137.thumb.jpeg.f2c8f1b5d5a25f33ed94b2e39e0ff581.jpegIMG_2138.thumb.jpeg.a01e1e15a0f47da193fe1740c192e0d5.jpeg

It's probably for something you don't have.  I've just had the seat off on my E61 and it also has a similar looking "spare" wire.  Mine was in the same location - rear driver side, attached to the same wires that go to the fuel pump unit.

23 hours ago, AndyB said:

Hey all,

Cheers

I think its for an option that you don't have (or possibly for the hpfp on 135i and its the same harness?), had my rear bench out recently and that connector was in the same place. So I don’t think its any thing out of the ordinary.

Edited by eski

I'm still looking for a manual 130i but haven't found what I'm after. I'm leaning towards auto now since there are so many and comparably cheaper. Is auto gearbox somewhat reliable? I come from DSG box which I was afraid of costing me $$ eventually. 

You don't hear of many autos going pop, mine still seems sound at ~135k kms.

Mine had been serviced and had about 4L of oil missing. It's still going with no issues. Just be weary if you get a shudder. It's probably low on fluid because it was filled incorrectly. 

• Like 1

I should put that on the list for the next time I need to do fluids.

Yeah you really have to follow the procedure. Two steps. Initial fill. Then start and whilst running fill again.

If left too long and shudder gets bad you may have damage to the torque converter. Mines not great but the shudder stopped. 

• Like 2

BMW 1 Series  Apple Carplay & Android Auto Upgrade question

https://www.audiocity.co.nz/bmw-1-series-apple-carplay-android-auto-upgrade-2004-2010.html

Just wondering if any has installed these type of units

There seems to be nz sellers - are there differences between the products  and are the unit suitable for 2008 130i with the 2 button idrive etc ( photos of my cars current set-up attached)

Also if great any installers in Wellington ?

thanks in advance

m

IMG_4626.png

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

IMG_3582.jpeg

• Like 1

Yours is the CCC iDrive.  So it is compatible with the system you linked.
I think there is someone on here who has this system.  And a few others that are running replacement Android based screens.
Make sure your screen is in good condition though.  If it is dim or blurry you will be better off replacing it with something like this.
https://www.audiocity.co.nz/car-stereos-headunits/bmw-1-series-e81-e87-ccc-android-system-upgrade-with-touch-screen-apple-carplay-android-auto-gps-google-map-bluetooth-2.html

There are many clones of these systems.  Not all are the same.  Many have dated processors and limited RAM.

One thing I do not like about audiocity is that they don't advertise what CPU and RAM the units have.  They could be ancient.

I've had one pretty similar to this in my car for a few years now, I bought it from aliexpress and installed it myself, wasn't too difficult, just a bit of a fiddle to fit it all in. I went for the add-on version to go with the original screen just because I don't like the way the replacement android screen ones look, perched on top of the dash like they do. I also like being able to fold the screen away. It's a bit low res, and every now and then they can have a weird bug but it normally comes right after restarting the car. All in all I'd totally recommend doing it, gives all the functionality I need!

Got a steering wheel vibration/shake that comes and goes at speeds over 60km/h, can feel it through the car at highway speeds. Had an alignment/balance a few months ago. Just had the yuck run flats taken off and new tyres put on, it's almost worse now. No mention of rim issues so I presume they're fine. Doesn't look like any weights have come off either.

Thinking back to when I got my current wheels. I remember we had to cut the hub rings off on the fronts due to them not going on flush, the rear was fine with them left on. I'll jack it up and check for bearing/brake issues tomorrow. Just wondering if the lack of rings might be a factor?

Will take it to another tyre shop this week and re-check balance, in case my usual place did a crap balance job last time.

If it needs rings you must have them. Or it will have a vibration. Also check the wheel bearings and driveshaft donuts. 

If it had rings on then you'd want to re-fit some new ones for sure. 80-100km region is typically when the vibration shows in in my experience with E39 wheels.

You can spin the wheels up on the car and look for any excessive runout from the tyre or wheel. 

@Antallica - as above, if you've removed the hub-centric rings on the car then you're in a woefully dangerous situation and you'll need entirely new hubs, they're essential for centring the wheel. If the wheels don't fit with the rings in place then you have the wrong wheels.

If that's not what you chopped off then I don't understand, please elaborate.

Edited by M3AN

Managed to find the specs on the aftermarket wheels I got. Same size as the hub. Anyway I'll take them off tomorrow and check it all over.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Murray2023 said:

Thanks for the advise, it looks like the screen upgrades stay up.. wonder if it blocks any vision?

you can also try this, while keeping the original CCC iDrive

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angelo said:

you can also try this, while keeping the original CCC iDrive

😵💫so many options, any one in Welly gone thru this decision process ...?

Finally solved a slight lumpy idle on my 130i. Car ran perfect with the maf unplugged but when plugged in the car would hunt a little between 600-700rpm and never settle, a couple times it even bogged down to 500rpm and almost died. I swapped in a spare maf to be sure it wasn't the sensor going bad, and same issue so I figured there was a small vacuum leak somewhere. Felt like I had tried everything beyond pulling the whole intake manifold off and checking everything. 

Finally today I discovered one of the hoses coming out of the CCV (the lower one) had some oil all over it and it was clear the connector wasn't fully clipped in letting oil out and air in. Clipped it into place and idle is rock solid now. Was one of the last small issues I wanted to fix before selling the car. 

Edited by Harper
  • Like 2