Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Alpina XD3

EGR is probably fine, it's the DPF you got to worry about

NZ has no appreciation for Alpina, would be an expensive indulgence, I have no doubt the drive would be damn good against the stand X3 though 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breaker said:

NZ has no appreciation for Alpina, would be an expensive indulgence, I have no doubt the drive would be damn good against the stand X3 though 

An Alpina is something you either get or you don't. Of those that don't, cars like the E36 and E39 on TM currently aren't going to sway them, because the BMW version (M3/M5) was a better product. The E39 being particularly egregious for trying to echo the E28 turbo era mega saloons Alpina were churning out at the time with that awful cloth interior. Manual seats in Alpina as well? No thank you. They really need to have the full fat Lavalina interior, which craps all over anything BMW could put into a car, the Individual department included. The E36 Alpina 3.2 is the same price as a 3.2 Evo, and some additional VDO gauges and switchtronic gearbox does not a better car make.

The E60 on TM is an interesting alternative to the M5, the same level of power, just made in a different fashion. I've driven a couple and they're rocket ships, I would dearly love for the white B5 S I've seen down here to be for sale.

The things the Alpina wins on IMHO - subtlety, colours (that green ?), and the fact they still put a V8 in a wagon. 
I’d rather have the supercharged V8 than the V10 in the M5, mainly because bork factor...

2 hours ago, Breaker said:

Similar price to a slightly newer X3 35d. Much rather have the alpina personally...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, balancerider said:

The things the Alpina wins on IMHO - subtlety, colours (that green ?), and the fact they still put a V8 in a wagon. 
I’d rather have the supercharged V8 than the V10 in the M5, mainly because bork factor...

If you can't afford to pay, you can't afford to play.  In reality, the E60 Alpina on trademe is 2x the price of my old E60 M5 and my car was well sorted and had less mileage.  There's no rational reason for it to be priced at 40 grand.

The V10, and to a degree the gearbox is a game changer in the E60.  There's very little like it out there.

The V8 is just a boring old V8.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

The V8 is just a boring old V8.

A lazy, stump pulling, motorway storming modified v8. 

Lower rpm peak hp and torque, and almost 200nm more torque at that. Hard to compare the alpina to a m5 imo. 

If you want a supercharged V8 from that Era you want an E55 AMG. Also half the price or less than the Alpina and keeping the "pros" of a supercharger, V8 and slushbox.

More Availability of parts and massive potential for more power if you wish.

Now old Alpinas like the E34 B10 Turbo. Yes please. 

• Like 1

Exactly what I was going to say.  The E55 has practically won the game before it's started.

I had headers, pulley and tune on mine and it was ludicrous, funnily enough it also sold for $20k.  It was funny to drive rather than fun though.

Seems if you hang around me long enough you can purchase a well maintained super sedan for 20 grand :D

Edited by GorGasm