HalfJobHarry

Coilovers or not on E82 135i? School me!

We're talking about an E82 William, don't wander away from the context. I'd be surprised if any BMW has 9 or 10 degrees caster, the 1 series, and E82 in particular certainly does not.

Your theory is probably right (I'm not one to judge) but it has no practical application in this case.

-2 degrees front camber in an E82 has absolutely no disadvantages, it's not even a trade-off.

• Like 1

The two examples were examples of context and its not 'my'  theory it is the standard first principles engineering for suspension geometry and it is THE  practical application required for every geometry set up.   

Most performance model BMW's run around 7 to 8 degrees of caster compared to 5 to 6 for the cooking varieties , certain E21 & E30 variants ran 9 degrees (M3) 

E82 runs between 7 and 7.5 

As usual you have it arse about face pitching  the answer without analysis and rubbishing any constructive input will help others actually understand  - how about you actually respect the Op's desire to be informed ? 

For the Op's benefit 

Caster , camber and toe are all linked - people mess with camber all the time because it's easy , BUT camber must be assessed in conjunction with caster and roll behaviour there are some basic guidelines as per my earlier responses. key bits: 

In short he read the car and then derived the driving environment and style and then proposed a suspension set up and alignment to match.

You can read all you like on forums but if they don't give the context of the where and how,  it is only good luck if it works for you, so:  ask yourself where and how  and then start  developing a set up.

Have fun Harry 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Quote removed
  • Like 1

In my mind front end camber would directly affect braking performance?

On 9/12/2020 at 2:04 PM, GorGasm said:

In my mind front end camber would directly affect braking performance?

Yes it does , but so does caster and toe  and the picture becomes more complex when you take into account the geometry is the static set up 

On the brakes with the suspension well compressed the geometry will be considerably different