Sign in to follow this  
TheCowboy

Tow vehicle options

This may have been covered off previous but I am looking for a wagon to tow the track car, been looking at a 335i or 535i wagon. Would these tow a car ok fine? And how big of a difference will it make between the n54 and n55 (may end up tuning etc) but need something as reliable as a turbo car can be (I get maintenance costs etc will be higher) just looking for any feedback on these options? Cheers

Sam

I have looked at them. Not a fan of the V8s and prefer to be lower to the ground so looking at the wagons

N55 less tunable but probably more reliable. F11 doesn't feel that quick but the e91 335i facelift is probably the sweetspot. F31 335i are hard to find.

I am finding that f31 aren't very common. Are the n54 actually unreliable? Seems to be a lot of fresh import n54 335i, are they worth avoiding?

There's plenty of F31 335d's on tardme atm, they'd have no problem towing! coils and plugs aren't cheap on the n54, turbo wastegates can go and potentially a fair bit of deferred mantainance as they're now 12-13 years old. the ones that have been in nz for a little while are liable to have been thrashed... 

So would you reccomend a fresh import n54 335i? Or avoid them? 

How are the 335i hybrid versions in the f30-f31?

Probably someone who's owned an N54 powered car might be able to give you more insight? @KwS

I'd personally steer clear of the Activehybrid - seems like something that'd expensively bork itself. There's a reason the x35i versions sell for more than the Activehybrid.

Mine didnt have a towbar and tbh it would've been the worst car to tow anything heavy with. Very thirsty, and the power came on with a huge whack. It would tow, but it'd be on boost all the time and traction would be an issue. I'd go with a diesel for towing.

I feel that even a 330i would be better for towing just due to not having boost and having a nice linear power/torque curve.

Edited by KwS

Will have to look into that, or maybe the X3/X5 will have to be a option. Did you find the n54 motor to be reliable enough? Any thoughts on the fresh import n54 X35i vehicles? 

Check on the 3 series tow rating. Pretty sure it would be over the limit.

5 series or X5 if you want a BMW tow vehicle. Get the official tow kit which is vastly superior to any NZ aftermarket kit I have seen.

Expect bushes to have a short life.

Get self leveling suspension if available.

Any idea if these fresh imports are any good? Have previously had singapore import Subaru etc and were all dogs. How are these fresh Japan imports? But am thinking 5 series is the way to go

2 hours ago, TheCowboy said:

Will have to look into that, or maybe the X3/X5 will have to be a option. Did you find the n54 motor to be reliable enough? Any thoughts on the fresh import n54 X35i vehicles? 

My N54 had a huge amount of work done before I got it, so no, i wouldn't consider them reliable. It had the turbos, injectors, coils, HPFP, LPFP all replaced.

Damn. I had heard n55 was a big improvement but seems to be only used for a few years

Best BMW tow car I had was my E60 530D.  With a heavy Hirepool trailer and a full weight E30, the E60 barely noticed it.

10.5L/100km from Wellington to Auckland.

The best tow car I had was my fathers Merc E55 AMG.  It actually didn't care there was something attached to it.  I did stupid things like destroying an SS Holden racing onto the motorway with my E30 series car being towed along.  But 27L/100kms haha.

• Like 2

Ive got a F25 X3 Xdrive 35i (N55) for sale if you're interested. You will need to install your own towbar though.

The torque delivery and economy (under load) would make me steer towards diesel for a tow wagon every time.

My E46 330d with 600kg+ trailer and E30 behind it was nice to drive. The engines have come a long way since then as well with 2nd and 3rd gen common rail injection.

X5 is a great tow wagon, but depends how often you tow as to whether it outweighs the day to day use priorities.

Best thing I ever did was ditch petrol tow vehicles (X5 v8, Cayenne V8) and get a diesel X5. Self leveling suspension, trailer sway control, outstanding economy. It has no issues keeping up. Generally towing around 2 ton. 

• Like 2

Diesel 5 series or x5 for sure. E60s are cheap now