Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

PSA: Repco Jackstand Safety Recall

There are groups of people, organisations and individuals in this country, so insulated from the ugly realities of life, that they think they can change the course of human development by making a bunch of regulations forcing people to be nice to each other. When you consider that after 4000 or so years half the world is still tearing at each others throats, I find it somewhat naive for anyone to think that human nature can be regulated. Perhaps we can teach all NZers to respect other cultures, people, their property and ideas ?

Perhaps I would feel better if a large person holding a weapon was to say to me... Pardon me sir, but due to certain exigencies of a personal nature, I would be sincerely grateful if you would surrender to me your car keys and your wallet. Due to certain traumatic events in my formative years and a lack of community support, I have developed certain disquieting personality disorders that prevent me from achieving my full potential as a person. I apologise in advance for any pain or psychological damage that you may suffer as a result of my unsolicited request, and trust that you will not prejudge me because of my race, religion or appearance.

Hey... lots of luck with reforming society... but base instincts are base instincts and they are born anew with each generation.

Cheers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jeez you talk some sh*t on here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Jeez you talk some sh*t on here. 

I'll take that as a compliment... thanks :)

Cheers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jon dee said:

I'll take that as a compliment... thanks :)

Cheers...

You really shouldn't, because it wasnt.

• Thanks 1

Oh dear... I must have touched a nerve then... sorry about that :(  But I say what I think and if anyone disagrees with my opinions they are welcome to voice an opposing view. An opinion is not worth holding if it cannot stand up for itself in open debate. And if my opinion is defeated in honest combat with well considered, technically correct, logical and skillfully presented arguments, then I will graciously admit defeat. 

Cheers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), short for argumentum ad hominem, refers to several types of arguments, some but not all of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. This avoids genuine debate by creating a diversion to some irrelevant but often highly charged issue.

In an open society healthy debate should be welcomed and encouraged. No-one should be punished for holding and expressing an opinion even if it contrary to the popular opinion of the day. Two of the the greatest problems we have in the world today are popular opinion being manipulated by slanted media reporting, and the widespread practice of using personal attacks to try and discredit those who hold opposing opinions. A recent ex president comes to mind as being a leading exponent of this particular technique.

Oh yeah... and cars are interesting too :D

Cheers...

• Like 1

You get what you pay for. 

Also assessing the tool is fit for the job and realizing using some tools when used no matter there origin comes with some risk. 

Hydraulic presses, grinders, axle stands, jacks etc to name a few all have a lot of forces involved when being used so should be treated accordingly with safety in mind. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, KwS said:

I really want a pair of the OG screw style stands my friend has. Weigh a ton, are a pain to level anything on (since they have a fairly fine thread) but are almost impossible to go wrong. They're the same as these

37286faf-d07d-49f7-9983-e871fc3223c6-jpe

I have two pairs of old ratcheting ones instead. They have never been a problem, but they're about 10 years old now so probably before the bits fell off the tooling dies. I do feel safer using my Quickjack though.

Man it's been decades since I last saw these.  Every garage/service station in the 70's had a bunch of them.  My mate had some in his shed we used to use (in the 80's/early 90's).  As you say, weighed a ton, need manhandling into place, but the benefit of the slow raise/lower is the precision.  Wonder why these fell from grace?

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 2

Just to be straight. I couldn't care less where you come from.

What does Chinesium mean? Chinesium is a made up element, not found on the periodic table, which was invented as a blanket term for every cheap material (metal, plastic, ceramic) originating from China, manufactured at a low quality to decrease production costs and to maximize profits.

Edited by Driftit
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, M3AN said:

I'm guilty of it myself occasionally but does everybody realise that referring to China in the way that this thread does is certifiably racist? Any country can make crap products and often quality control is a reflection of the demands put upon the manufacturer, not the capability of the manufacturer (or their staff).  Apple's products are all made in China and are rarely considered poor quality (whether you think they suck or not).

🤔

NB: I'm anti-woke and don't think cultural (mis)appropriation is a thing, I'm just pointing at a turd and calling it sh*t.

LMAO. 

Theres always one hey.

'certifiably racist' - is that a new catch phrase those who are offended on behalf of others use now? 

You'll find similar stereotypes apply to other countries as well where a lot of consumers have had bad runs with their products or the quality has been sub par. 

Australia, England, France, USA etc. 

Edited by coop
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, coop said:

LMAO. 

Theres always one hey.

'certifiably racist' - is that a new catch phrase those who are offended on behalf of others use now? 

You'll find similar stereotypes apply to other countries as well where a lot of consumers have had bad runs with their products or the quality has been sub par. 

Australia, England, France, USA etc. 

Just because you aren't offended, doesn't make it any less racist. 

You are right though, every country can turn out some substandard sh*t. Some of the aftermarket suspension components made in the US for instance can't be certified here because the welding is scary bad. 

Just buy everything from Japan. All the best stuff is made in Japan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Just buy everything from Japan. All the best stuff is made in Japan. 

You do realise that in the years after WWII all the cheap sh*t came from Japan ?? But as their economy improved the quality improved until many Japanese products were considered to be cutting edge. The Chinese are well capable of producing premium products and when the world starts asking them "can you make me a better quality product ?" instead of "Can you make it cheaper ?" they will respond. It will happen but it will not happen overnight :) 

And don't overlook the fact that many well known Japanese companies outsource manufacturing to China.

Cheers...

Ahhh.... I see. Movie and TV series references are liable to different interpretations if the reader has not seen or followed the original from which the quote is drawn. No problem. I prefer quotes from noteworthy individuals who have put their words of wisdom down in writing. Here is one that caught my eye a few days ago...

"Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end."            Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

This is as true today as it was on the day it was written. The world needs more clear thinkers like Thoreau, but what we get is a bunch of leaders whose mantra is clearly drawn from the words of W C Fields... If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit !!!

Cheers...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1