Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

BMW prices IX for New Zealand

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

offset by the manufacturing costs dropping due to the refinement of the processes

I was under the impression new batteries needed ultra pure new material to work to the design specifications

Introducing recycled material is said to reduce the purity and reduce the potential performance of the battery making the batter have less range, less life. 

Have things changed? 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I can actually see the design inspiration and can admire how they’ve interpreted that on the car. It definitely has the modern architecture vibe. Whether or not it should’ve been done is a topic for another time.

In saying that, I’m still not a big fan of the front grilles and also, the surface area of the front/rear bumpers vs the lights just looks off for some reason.

A more interesting thought would be what car/design will determine the new trend. At the moment, the design and colour of cars in the last decade or two (excluding supercars) have been quite boring honestly (which is why I’ve resorted to buying an older car). So, as much as this is such a weird design, it’d be interesting to see how this gets refined and which aspects will stick and which ones will get thrown in the bin. I vote that the grilles get thrown.

I also wonder if making everything electric/digital will lead to a decrease in the life cycle of a vehicle, just like how most (if not all) smartphones are quite literally built to not last. That will be quite interesting as it will be as detrimental to the environment that we’re “trying to save” by going EV. We already have a lot of waste as it is.

• Like 2

I find the design too fussy. I don’t like how car designers try to make all electric cars appear as if they are from the future. If it didn’t have the blue accents and possibly in a colour like black might look a bit better?

• Like 3

This guy does some cool videos, in this one he fixed some of the retardation of the IX original design, what he came up with was definitely nicer, considering what he had to work with. 

Let's face it the buyers won't be paying to replace batteries after 10 years, they'll have passed the car on 5-7 years previously and bought another one!

18 hours ago, Michael. said:

I was under the impression new batteries needed ultra pure new material to work to the design specifications

Introducing recycled material is said to reduce the purity and reduce the potential performance of the battery making the batter have less range, less life. 

Have things changed? 

I was referring to the speed, efficiency and wastage rates of the manufacturing processes rather than the materials. 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:11 AM, NZ BMW said:

I find the design too fussy. I don’t like how car designers try to make all electric cars appear as if they are from the future. If it didn’t have the blue accents and possibly in a colour like black might look a bit better?

This irritates me so much.  And is why I quite like the Model S Tesla.  It just looks like a car.  Especially a few years since its release.

• Like 2