Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

E30 320is

Wow dogleg and all!  Interesting car, in great condition.  I had heard about these…

• Like 2

very rare, rarer than m3 if I recall correctly 

• Like 2

Just a little outside my budget damnit 😂

• Like 3

Yes, produced in much lower numbers, under 4,000 units total, than the M3, with over 17,000, as they were only sold in Portugal and Italy as the seller says due to the tax laws for new cars in those countries. These were a real secret for a while, due to their limited numbers, but gradually became more wider known and as the E30 M3s went into inflation mode these became more popular and the prices have correspondingly gone into orbit. Were made in 2-door and 4-door and personally I would say the 2 door would be the one to own, with the M-Tech 2 kit. Whilst it is 300cc smaller than the M3 engine the S14B20 is only a couple of bhp down due to higher compression ratio, but is a bit further down on torque, but then you have to rev an S14 to get the best out of it anyway (well that's my excuse...)

The person who originally imported this car into NZ is a good friend of mine, and a few of my spare and surplus parts have been fitted onto this car, not that it was in need of much! Really is a stunning example in the flesh, and the next owner was also a BMW nut who has kept it in tip top condition.

Pricing is well up there, as it should be for this car, hopefully someone who recognises what this is will snap it up (outside my current budget unfortunately or I would be all over it).

That rocker cover does need a clean up an re-paint with a new oill filler cap though, as that is such a stand out point in the engine bay with the "M Power" lettering. Would cost a few $$$s but well worth it I would suggest.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Added details
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yes, produced in much lower numbers, under 4,000 units total, than the M3, with over 17,000, as they were only sold in Portugal and Italy as the seller says due to the tax laws for new cars in those countries. These were a real secret for a while, due to their limited numbers, but gradually became more wider known and as the E30 M3s went into inflation mode these became more popular and the prices have correspondingly gone into orbit. Were made in 2-door and 4-door and personally I would say the 2 door would be the one to own, with the M-Tech 2 kit. Whilst it is 300cc smaller than the M3 engine the S14B20 is only a couple of bhp down due to higher compression ratio, but is a bit further down on torque, but then you have to rev an S14 to get the best out of it anyway (well that's my excuse...)

The person who originally imported this car into NZ is a good friend of mine, and a few of my spare and surplus parts have been fitted onto this car, not that it was in need of much! Really is a stunning example in the flesh, and the next owner was also a BMW nut who has kept it in tip top condition.

Pricing is well up there, as it should be for this car, hopefully someone who recognises what this is will snap it up (outside my current budget unfortunately or I would be all over it).

That rocker cover does need a clean up an re-paint with a new oill filler cap though, as that is such a stand out point in the engine bay with the "M Power" lettering. Would cost a few $$$s but well worth it I would suggest.

I remember meeting an old fella named Charlie who was driving one of these at the e30 Megameet a number of years ago. I am not sure if this is the same car but I do recall how beautiful it was. It was definitely a 320is though

• Like 1

Yup, that’s him. He bought it off the guy who imported it, and owned it up until fairly recently.

I believe this is the only one in NZ, as another one has never shown up in the rego information and I have never seen or heard of one - if there is another it’s a very well kept secret.

My race car is entered as a 320iS but I’ve only got the drivetrain, not the whole thing unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 4:19 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yup, that’s him. He bought it off the guy who imported it, and owned it up until fairly recently.

I believe this is the only one in NZ, as another one has never shown up in the rego information and I have never seen or heard of one - if there is another it’s a very well kept secret.

My race car is entered as a 320iS but I’ve only got the drivetrain, not the whole thing unfortunately.

ahh yes then I can tell you how absolutely beautiful it was. I was very impressed with the car. performance wise it's really good too. I love it. ahh hope Charlie is doing well. what a nice fella he is 

• Like 2

Seen it in person. It is immaculate. And $90k for a car this rare and spec is actually reasonable.  Its an Mtech 2 with a S14.  And being LHD, it will also attract the US and Euro market buyers. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp34417313/bmw-320is-is-an-ultra-collectible-e30-m3-lite/

B4D70C08-805A-45B3-99E8-6103C56305BA.jpeg

99557315-CAB1-4781-B83A-056733237606.jpeg

6CA5C244-0ABF-416D-8679-BF2543302A53.jpeg

Edited by Contrails
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 1:26 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I'd like to argue that cleaning up rocker cover and removing the Cosmoline residue would actually take away some of its originality. It attests to how well it has been kept over the years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1