Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

E39 prices

IMHO the rise is predominately for 6sp manuals, or a least, more significant.

Certainly not this one - this ad has been discussed before I think.  The blurb is very very dodgy to the point of fraudulent, talking about an opinion on a typical face lift msport model which is certainly not what is for sale here.   And it even suggests the "near beer" (which I assume is a 540 msport) e39 is "better" than a M5 which is just pure laughable BS.  The price is about triple+ what someone might start sniffing at for a pre-face lift non sport model, despite the low km, which doesn't necessarily mean it won't be without your typical e39 age related treasures...

Having had my cynical rant on that dubious Ad, I do think the e39 540 msport is a fine car in its own right and good ones, one day, may have their day... (well that's my investment strategy anyway 😁)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, topnotchrally said:

IMHO the rise is predominately for 6sp manuals, or a least, more significant.

You are possibly right, there aren't many NZ new original equipped 6sp manual 540is in NZ, probably less common than the M5.

Saying that I wouldn't sell my 540is for what he's asking

• Like 1

Awaiting howls of outrage from this abuse of artistic licence:         😁                                                            " the secret BMW didn't want you to know is that when it came to the E39 5-series, the near-beer model was a step above its M counterpart in nearly every conceivable way."

• Haha 2

Ah yup, so he is basically talking up other cars forsale then...

"The pleasing shape from any angle, especially in M-Tech trim."

Because sorry buddy, that aint M-Tech in any way, shape or form.

He talks a lot of nonsense but it does has M-tech wheel, M-sport suspension, a shorter final drive and sport styled wheels. Certainly not a M-sport by any means but better than a base spec vehicle.  Wheels are the only thing of value on it really. Demand for these are so low that i think he'd struggle to sell it 6 or 7k (which is what id value it at)

• Like 1

The "opinion write up" made me want to punch a hole through the screen. Love the post-truth, alternative fact world we find ourselves living in. f**king hell.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bandit said:

Awaiting howls of outrage from this abuse of artistic licence:         😁                                                            " the secret BMW didn't want you to know is that when it came to the E39 5-series, the near-beer model was a step above its M counterpart in nearly every conceivable way."

I've driven a couple of E39 M5's, owned a 540is for 15 years and had a 530i  m/sport for 4 years, the M5's are an M car, the 540is is an absolute blast to drive and push the limit, only had the rear step out a couple of times, but I have to say the 530i m/sport was also fantastic to drive, it felt lighter, more agile, and after I did a bit of maintenance on the engine, vanos seals, etc the motor felt well tuned to the car.........it would've been even better if instead of the 5 speed auto it had the 6spd auto from the E60, my 530i also had the shorter diff ratio.

A E60 feels lighter, more agile and quicker than the E39 with the same M54b30 in it. One E39 I'd like to drive is the Alpina B10 3.3 with a manual gearbox.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

I've driven a couple of E39 M5's, owned a 540is for 15 years and had a 530i  m/sport for 4 years, the M5's are an M car, the 540is is an absolute blast to drive and push the limit, only had the rear step out a couple of times, but I have to say the 530i m/sport was also fantastic to drive, it felt lighter, more agile, and after I did a bit of maintenance on the engine, vanos seals, etc the motor felt well tuned to the car.........it would've been even better if instead of the 5 speed auto it had the 6spd auto from the E60, my 530i also had the shorter diff ratio.

A E60 feels lighter, more agile and quicker than the E39 with the same M54b30 in it. One E39 I'd like to drive is the Alpina B10 3.3 with a manual gearbox.

Veering right off the E39 but staying with the Alpina theme, these cars perform almost like nothing else:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/z4/listing/3552426877?bof=EWW7gL8N

36 minutes ago, Bandit said:

Veering right off the E39 but staying with the Alpina theme, these cars perform almost like nothing else:

Didnt even know Alpina did a Z4; thats cool. Using a modified S52B32 too.

There is always one though...

A beautiful car but the problem is that it will be confused with a Z4 because, we’ll it’s identical to a Z4.🤣

• Haha 1

Regarding the original car, if it is as tidy in person as the phohos suggest then i think it's worth a decent amount.  Maybe half the asking price?

I saw a very nice Mercedes C350 from 2007ish at the BMW dealership for $16k.  The thing is immaculate, appears to be a grandad's garage special.  It appeals to me on it's freshness alone.  So I think even though it might not have all the desired options that it could command a bit of a premium if the condition is great.

Between 10-20k I would get a mint E60 instead.

Edited by GorGasm

On 4/13/2022 at 7:21 AM, KwS said:

Didnt even know Alpina did a Z4; thats cool. Using a modified S52B32 too.

There is always one though...

Looks like a m54 in the picture though...

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

Looks like a m54 in the picture though...

No it doesn't? M54 doesn't have the single big vanos lump in the front. 

It looks like an M52, which the S52 is based off. 

Screenshot_20220414-111752_Trade_Me.png

Ok. What I was getting at was it has the standard looking BMW black and silver engine covers. No 'M Power', "there might be a s52 under here" type indicator.

It says ALPINA on the intake and 3.4 on the fuel rail cover. Not sure what more you want, AliExpress alpina badges everywhere? Alpina cars are pretty subtle really. 

It does too! Must wear my glasses more often...

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:42 AM, Bandit said:

Yawn. It's a grey Z4 with a black interior. Yawn. I don't care for the wheels.  It's a non-M motor (1 throttle body). Yawn.  I guess someone somewhere will love it... I suppose it is 'unique'.

For the record... "The engine is a handbuilt 3.4-litre E5/2 inline-6  The engine is an enlarged version of the S52B32 engine[3] first installed in the North American M3 (E36)."

• Confused 2