Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

PSA: Corded Dremel 4000 Set - Great Deal at Mitre 10

$199 - might end after Father's day. That's a pretty sharp price for the genuine article.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/dremel-4000-4/50-rotary-tool-kit-175-watt/p/169123

FWIW I've had one of these 4000 series Dremels (in fact I think it's actually the same kit) for over a decade now and it's still going strong, so much better than the lessor brands. Adding a "workstation" press adds an enormous amount of versatility too.

• Like 2

I've been looking for something to 'waste' my Airpoints on, this is it! Thanks for the tip.

• Haha 1

Bear in mind it's a 'club deal'. Not an issue - joining is easy and can (I think) be done at the checkout.

Can testify to this. Since borrowing Dave’s one (thanks again by the way!) I’ve ended up buying myself one and have used it for random jobs way more than I thought I would. 

• Thanks 1

I went through 3 of these and then gave up. Mitre 10 insist on sending back to the manufacturer to assess. In the end I threatened the CGA to head office and they finally gave me my money back.  Get a die grinder.

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Get a die grinder.

If you have workshop/industrial needs then yes, otherwise that's just overkill.

Very few home mechanics or DIY enthusiasts would go through 3 rotary tools without working out that was the wrong tool for the tasks at hand.

Your personal experience is bad, that's unfortunate, it doesn't seem widely shared though.

6 hours ago, Blackie said:

Bit of a defensive response? 

Your original one, since edited? Yes, I thought it was quite defensive.

Dremel is a well regarded brand, I'm not sure that many people would disagree. If anyone breaks or wears through three of them in short order then I'd argue they've either got their money's worth out of them, or they're holding it wrong.

It's pretty common for warranty replacements to be 'return to base', that's often not the retailer's choice, you can't really blame Mitre 10 for that.

As I originally said: "Your personal experience is bad, that's unfortunate, it doesn't seem widely shared though." Take that at face value, it's not at all defensive. 🤷‍♂️

Light work that needs precision and control they are much better than a die grinder.        

• Like 2

I don't know how much better the 4000 is, but I've got 3x 3000 kits (130W vs 175W) somewhere, all with poked motors. They seem to eat brushes and die. The extra grunt might help with that.

And that stupid place for the spindle lock button 🙄

Bunnings appears to be $198 today... so 15% lower discount on that if you get the Mitre 10 price gaurantee? 😋 Unless they've already lowered to match (as they do, to avoid the 15% discount!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Allanw said:

Bunnings appears to be $198 today... so 15% lower discount on that if you get the Mitre 10 price gaurantee? 😋 Unless they've already lowered to match (as they do, to avoid the 15% discount!)

Yep, they lower to match... almost caught them out when Mitre 10 was doing a 20% off Philips Hue kit a few weeks back... by the time I'd reached the Bunnings Customer Service counter early on a Saturday morning, I want to say ~20 mins after checking online and before 10am, they'd updated their pricing and were exactly $1 lower... checkmate.

• Like 1

as someone who works in price integrity at a Bunnings branch, head office are usually on the ball when it comes to this stuff!
quite often the price changes are pushed through before we get our new labels/tpr's out on the shelves!

Edited by Arron
  • Like 2

I managed a stick mixer at 15% off once, but its the only thing and that was about 10 years ago now 😂

• Like 1