Twistee

E61 M5 Touring life

Sorry to hear this.  Yes the water is supposed to be near 80C because the thermostat is opens on 79C.  Sorry no screen shots just my old memory recall when I had an expansion tank crack.  I monitored the water temp and oil (see my thread) at that time.  Here is some info I copied from the thread that might be relevant.  What you have described is correct the oil temp does go up 90c - ish in about 12 mins as per my notes.  It would sit there, can go up near 100C if you gun it but goes back in about a minute on idle.

If I get to run the car on the weekend I might try graph the water temp, so you can compare with a newly installed thermostat is like.  From what I recall it just really shoots up in the first 5 mins, then just bounces in the 80C area.... +/-5C I think... not sure.  My fan hardly runs, when it is hot it would turn on for a few secs then off.  I only heard the fan run for more than a minute when I had the electrical gremlins caused by wheel sensor...

- oil temp 75c after 10 mins, normal increase of temp 

- oil temp 85-90c 12 mins, still normal expected warm up

So I have to just wait for new expansion tank.  They also suggested to change the thermostat as sometimes it gets damaged on high temps.  I will do that, but I think the thermostat is fine.  During my drive home, I plug in a scanner.  On my phone I can see the temp go up to 80 C in 10 mins or so.  I also see the temp being stable at 80 C afterwards, so I think it is ok (my diagnosis, not Powerhaus).  I will replace the thermostat regardless.  They also advice to get the oil change as soon as practical, I will do that when we back from our trip.