Cammsport

N55 vs. N57... Tell me what you know!

Hi all, about this time last year we were looking at diesel E70's. I never got around to pulling the trigger on one and we moved to the South Island. Now that we've found ourselves being in a more "outdoorsie" situation, we're back on the hunt for a 7 seater 4WD. 

I was keen on a E70 30D/40D. But since last year we have bought a e87 120D N47, and it has been an absolute lemon! (have a look here if you like sight-unseen lemons) Since then I have realised that diesels are pretty expensive to service with things like injectors, HP fuel pumps and timing chains (on the power delivery side of the engine) if you're unlucky. Not to mention the carbon build up if it hasn't been cared for correctly due to the emissions critical componentry. Also, my main parts suppliers like FCP aren't euro diesel friendly. Also, diesel isn't far off premium petrol prices down here. Not to mention diesel kms on top.

I understand that the 35i's aren't as torquey or efficient, but are there any other cons to the N55? The forums seem to suggest they're ok and single turbo vs the N54 seems like there's less to go wrong?

Tell me what you reckon. 

P.s my ideal checklist, if you happen to know of something on the market is...

• Alpinweiss (for sun baking avoidance). 7 seats. Leather (heated). Adaptive cruise. Facelift. NZ new. Some form of servicing history. Less than 160,000kms and $20k. I don't ask for much, right?

More post-script.. I love this forum. Cheers everyone.

Here’s your car.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/x5/listing/3890381992

I can’t imagine an N55 will move the car with the same ease as the diesel. I think Breakmywindow(?) found the same with his X3?

I get an easy 900+ kms around town, doubt the petrol would come close and even worse when loaded. 

At the risk of cursing myself, mine has been perfect for 2.5 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cammsport said:

It's on the watchlist! Ticks all my boxes.

I totally agree re power. And the n57 could be a lot better than the N47?

According to the net, yes. I can only truly reference mine. 
From what I’ve seen, the multi turbo cars whether M57 or N57 seem to have more issues. I’ve seen at least 5 M57 35ds on TM with timing chain issues, but it’s only anecdotal.

• Like 1

Well I went down the same path a few years back and ended up with an X5 40d 7 seater factory M Sport. There are lots to like: it is quick to be sure and wins traffic light dragstrip contests regularly. It also handles well for a 2t vehicle and my road home will test the ability of any vehicle in this regard. The N57 is the issue. Mine has had a myriad of problems; it needed a new glow plug controller and the  vacuum pump failed. This cost me 5k but the mechanic did a full inspection while the pan was off and said everything else was great. The EGR is an issue and I have chosen to delete it. Pramod will code it out soon. Based on the research I have done the vacuum pump was a rare issue but the EGR is a common cause of problems, the upshot is that those that delete the EGR are almost universally happy with the result. Ironically it results in a cleaner engine and there is some evidence to support longer engine life.  I suspect I have leaking injectors as my oil level is rising, I will have this rectified soon and I think that will be the end of it. 

I considered and N55 and drove one. There was a noticeable torque deficit but its not as bad as I thought it might be compared to a 30d but quite noticeable compared to a 40d. It revs higher of course so overall its not much slower if at all.  As to timing chains I have come to the conclusion that the N57 with good maintenance will go past 200k kms. I did a fair bit of research on this mainly around when UK based vehicles started to have issues and yes they could fail as low as 160k kms but this was when service history showed late oil changes or missed changes. High quality oil frequently is as always the key, there are plenty that will go 250k kms. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cammsport said:

P.s my ideal checklist, if you happen to know of something on the market is...

• Alpinweiss (for sun baking avoidance). 7 seats. Leather (heated). Adaptive cruise. Facelift. NZ new. Some form of servicing history. Less than 160,000kms and $20k. I don't ask for much, right?

More post-script.. I love this forum. Cheers everyone.

Very few NZ New X5 35i's, majority will be 30d with a smattering of 40d/50d. Would avoid a post facelift 35d as they'll be ex-Japan and likely with AdBlue emissions gubbins to go wrong. Facelift came with the ZF 8 speed which is much better than the old 6 speed auto. N57 in 30d/40d guise is a sound engine IMO (I have it in my 335d). I would steer clear of anything with dubious service history, even factory service intervals are too long

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Palazzo said:

If you’re looking for an E70 X5 that’s the ones to get, NZ local “Performance” Edition, especially the later ones with the 8sp auto.

In terms of petrol v diesel, the petrols are pretty thirsty especially if worked hard either driving fast or towing. The diesel is much better in that regard to offset the RUC.

An NZ new 6-cyl petrol is a pretty rare beast, especially in the later version.

Swings and roundabouts in terms of bits to go wrong, coils more likely than injectors, versus fuel pumps, etc. Depends very much on the actual car and finding the right one.

With either engine, be prepared for some hefty bills for fast wearing tyres and brakes, especially if you like spirited driving (which you can do in an X5, the pay Back is the wear due to physics!)

I think you have been very unlucky with your 120d and understand your fears around another diesel Beamer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Looks pretty tidy. The fact it's still on OEM Bridgestone runflats (at $600+ a corner) suggests they probably haven't cut too many corners on maintenance

He has spent a heck load on maintenance. EGR cooler failed, rear door actuator and stuts failed, rear air bag struts leaking, various suspension components replaced (expected). Couple grand each visit. 

• Like 1

Looking at the trademe listing above, I'd have some concerns about the poor fuel economy (10.8/100km).  Mine is the older, less efficient M57 and I get a flat 10.0/100km through mainly town driving with the odd longer drive.

It kinda suggests this car doesn't get a good run to clean the DPF regularly...

On 12/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Cammsport said:

He has spent a heck load on maintenance. EGR cooler failed, rear door actuator and stuts failed, rear air bag struts leaking, various suspension components replaced (expected). Couple grand each visit. 

Nothing unusual then!

Nice to see a loved one owner NZ car.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:57 PM, curryinahurry said:

Looking at the trademe listing above, I'd have some concerns about the poor fuel economy (10.8/100km).  Mine is the older, less efficient M57 and I get a flat 10.0/100km through mainly town driving with the odd longer drive.

It kinda suggests this car doesn't get a good run to clean the DPF regularly...

Wouldn't read too much into it. We've no idea what kind of loads, journeys, driving style, etc.

• Like 1

$28,100 for that white X5. Not bad buying to be fair, for whoever won it. I hope the new owner cares for it well, especially if this is the tidiest X5 out there. 

I also wonder what it was worth brand new 10 years ago? Would it be $100k in depreciation? 

A 30d SE was $128.5k in Jan-11, plus the Performance pack, 7 seats etc, probably more than $100k. $1/km?

• Thanks 1

N55 is fine.  Oil leaks are common but otherwise good.

Should be enough tug in one to get an X5 moving, it works fine in the 535i and would be totally fine on the open road.

• Like 1

An X5 is 4-500kg heavier than a 535i, before you load it up.

300-400kg and 0-100 in 6.8 instead of 6.0 according to the specs I read.  The 535i is pretty heavy already.  Sure it ain't no race car but it'll do the job.

Specs say the 35d and 35i have the same performance as well.  And calculating off the spec fuel consumption and today's fuel and RUC prices they cost the same to run.  The N55 is a reasonably efficient motor for a 3.0 turbo.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Thanks 1

Just noted the video says they are 6 speed, if you get an 8 speed it should be a little faster and more efficient. 

Have had my N55 for 4.5 years and now at 125kms.  Has had various seals replaced due to leaks  and a failed alternator.  Otherwise just oil, filter, and spark plug changes.  There's probably more maintenance that should be done which i haven't bothered with.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GorGasm said:

And calculating off the spec fuel consumption and today's fuel and RUC prices they cost the same to run. 

I wouldn’t base too many decisions off NEDC fuel consumption figures. They are calculated off a rolling road test which lasts about five minutes, so not very accurate.

As a rule of thumb Diesel figures will be closer to real world figures but still higher. As soon as you Start adding more load, passengers, weight, towing, etc the gap gets wider and the diesel comes into its own. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 8:13 AM, Palazzo said:

A 30d SE was $128.5k in Jan-11, plus the Performance pack, 7 seats etc, probably more than $100k. $1/km?

The Performance Edition was a few more selected options bundled in for only a little more money. RRP would have been $130k as this one has no factory swing away tow-bar (which is a bit of a negative for me as that mean only 2,700kg tow capacity).

On 12/11/2022 at 10:14 PM, Cammsport said:

Also, my main parts suppliers like FCP aren't euro diesel friendly.

Have you tried www.schmiedmann.com? Danish company, i've ordered plenty parts from them for E46, E39, E87 petrol and now for my F10 530d, I've found them to be well priced and quick to ship.  Even heavy stuff like brake rotors.  And of course they have all the diesel stuff for Euro.

Loving my recently acquired N57 530d, that zf 8 is just magic combined with a torquey and creamy smooth diesel. 160,000km so was cheap to buy.  Seems to have the dealer EGR upgrade judging by date stickers.  Can't hear any chain swoosh so hopefully I got a good one! 

So I finally settled on a.... 4M41. What's that? The 3.2 TD from a Gen 4 2010 Pajero. 

Absolutely love it. Definitely not as smooth or refined as an E70. Aaand the 30d has more torque and Hp for less fuel. But the Pajero doesn't leak and parts are quickly acquired through Amayama, which has a warehouse in Christchurch. I fell like I can beat on the Pajero abit more too. 

7 seats, TV for the middle row, auto headlights/wipers & rear view, leather heated electric seats, headlight washers, PDC, cruise control. Oh, it also has a spare wheel! 🤯

20230426_173912.thumb.jpg.7487c470017b0fbbfbccfd0b8212472d.jpg

Edited by Cammsport

Does it have the Rockford Fosgate stereo as well, or too early?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Does it have the Rockford Fosgate stereo as well, or too early?

Yip, this is the fully spec'd Exceed version.