MD13

Too low

So Christmas just past I dashed off to West Auckland to buy this - e39 535i with 3 pedals from factory.

20221226_120713.jpg

• Like 5

This will be a reminder (blog?) of the things it needs doing etc.

Done so far:

Replaced headlight adjusters to get a WOF

Bellar's replaced the camshaft sensor to fix a start issue

Things that need doing:

Suspension... -done

Windowscreen rubber has perished - Done

No FM radio reception...

Instrument cluster pixel fix - Done!

Headunit replacement/Speaker refresh

TYRES!

Dent magician or similar

Fix lower front bumper split - cable tie... Done for now.

Clearcoat peel on drivers door

Front seat refresh?

Boot lid struts

This list will grow...

Edited by MD13
  • Like 1

Nice one. Think it'll be better on a nice set of Style 32's once you've put the suspension back to stock? Surely part of the appeal of a cruiser like this is that it rides properly. Manual V8 is always a win though

• Like 1

Yeah style 32 or 37 would be my pick depending on cost but as you say need to sort the suspension first. MagnTurbo lowering special sadly. Originally came on style 33 (still has one as a spare) - butt ugly. I don't actually hate the wheels.

Will look to find some sport springs and new shocks/struts. Then replace the chengshi tyres...

Edited by MD13

So suspension... I've never needed to do this on previous cars - I've usually just bought motorsport type versions and left it at that. So I "think" I need something like these:

springs

shocks or shocks

But I'm guessing (e.g. US sites don't list 535's but I guess 540i is the same?) so help would be appreciated! Criteria:

Lift the ride height so the wheels clear the guards, make it comfortable to drive.

Edited by MD13

54 minutes ago, MD13 said:

So suspension... I've never needed to do this on previous cars - I've usually just bought motorsport type versions and left it at that. So I "think" I need something like these:

springs

shocks or shocks

But I'm guessing (e.g. US sites don't list 535's but I guess 540i is the same?) so help would be appreciated! Criteria:

Lift the ride height so the wheels clear the guards, make it comfortable to drive.

Assuming it's a non-sport PFL 535i

Front shocks https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/3764-new?product=31311096848

Rear shocks https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/33521094467M-meyle-shockabsorber

Have a look on Real OEM with your VIN

Not sure I'll like the result if I go back to standard ride height hence looking at H&R/Koni's... Also like sites that allow buying a 'package' instead of everything single - hopefully then I don't end up buying 3rear/1front etc... Also do I need to buy sundry items? Bumpstops etc in addition?

Edited by MD13

Guess it depends what you are after and what you are using the car for.

I think Koni and higher end Bilstein overpriced these days. IMO B6\B8 Bilsteins are rubbish ride quality on average NZ road without being re-valved.  

Im pretty happy Eibach Pro-kit (slightly lower and firmer than Msport springs) with and OE spec TRW struts\shocks on my E46. Rides and handles very well without sacrificing ride quality and they are cheap. They have their drawbacks in certain conditions compared to higher end products, but most people arent driving the car like that. H&R's are much firmer spring.  

https://spareto.com/products/eibach-suspension-kit-coil-springs/e2063-140

https://spareto.com/products/trw-shock-absorber/jgm239t

https://spareto.com/products/trw-shock-absorber/jgs160t

Yeah you will certainly need new bump stops, strut mounts, dust boots and maybe spring rubbers for the front end. Rears parts dont seem to fail on E39's but id probably buy new rear bump stops and they degrade over time.

• Like 1

This look about right then?

bmw shopping list.PNG

Wow is approx. $500 shipping "normal"?

Edited by MD13

I probably skip the repair kit or just get new bolt and locknut for the strut if you are concerned. I dont think the rest is really worth it (front mounts come with locknuts?) and washer are very re-usable. 

Shipping is usually priced fairly well but never ordered that once at once. Im guessing its the combination of struts\shocks and springs. Try splitting those up and see. Sometimes certain parts add a lot of shipping for no real reason, not just on this site. 

The springs were nearly 100 euro shipped with a couple of other small things when i got mine. Still ended up way cheaper than anywhere else. So i know where the other 200 euro is coming from?

Saw you driving in Albany the other day driving past Palmers Garden Centre. Good buy, I had it on my watchlist, was tempted but I have way too many cars already... 

Yeah I'm in Browns Bay. Think you might have posted the listing originally so thank you!

• Like 1

On Spareto, when you're on the shopping cart page (after you've entered your shipping details) and click on the shipping price it'll give you a breakdown of shipping price per item. Bigger bulkier stuff will naturally be more expensive to ship but if something looks disproportionally out of whack then you can always shoot them a message and have it rechecked. $500 for shipping does sound a bit ridiculous.

Spareto's prices are usually really good but when it comes to bulkier items it might be worth looking at other suppliers, I think FCP for example cap their shipping cost at US$100 or something, so even if the items themselves are a bit more expensive, it might come out cheaper overall. Demon Tweeks is also worth checking out, I ordered some of my stuff from there. As an example, I got 2 rear shocks and one front one (for some reason the price of the front left shock was twice that of a front right one so ordered that one from FCP instead) + Eibach springs, came out to $590 + $265 shipping.

1 hour ago, MD13 said:

Yeah I'm in Browns Bay. Think you might have posted the listing originally so thank you!

Glad you got it, special car for sure. Was worried it would go into the depths of South Auckland for skids, never to be seen again!

19 hours ago, MD13 said:

This look about right then?

bmw shopping list.PNG

Wow is approx. $500 shipping "normal"?

The VAT portion will disappear which will help.

Placed an order with spareto for springs and some misc parts - still shopping on shocks. Hopefully unrelated but fraudulent credit card transactions started turning up 3 hours later...

I've ordered from Spareto MANY times and never had card issues, so probably coincidental B)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Allanw said:

I've ordered from Spareto MANY times and never had card issues, so probably coincidental B)

Ditto.

• Like 3

Parts all arrived in a very timely fashion.

20230412_172240.jpg

20230412_171956.jpg

Had them fitted yesterday. - mechanic showed me photos of the existing setup saying it looked like a 5 year old had assembled... Springs weren't seated correctly and able to be spun. Scary!

Haven't driven the car much yet but ride home was lacking the usual boat creak when steering and the wheel was more centered. No longer pulling to the right either. Next step is new tyres - or new(used) wheels and tyres.

• Like 3

Yeah would great to see what the spring\strut combo drives like on a E39. Too bad you arent close.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:31 PM, MD13 said:

Had them fitted yesterday. - mechanic showed me photos of the existing setup saying it looked like a 5 year old had assembled... Springs weren't seated correctly and able to be spun. Scary!

Haven't driven the car much yet but ride home was lacking the usual boat creak when steering and the wheel was more centered. No longer pulling to the right either. Next step is new tyres - or new(used) wheels and tyres.

Good to hear another E39 getting some proper maintenance and TLC. Too many get "ghetto fixed" and end up total sh*t boxes.

• Like 1

Some photos - could use a wash...

20230416_152323.jpg

20230416_152339.jpg

• Like 1

Height is perfect amount for me.