LemonHunter

Pitfalls of F10/F30 series 3's and 5's.

I’m contemplating a 3 or 5 series for my occasional trips to town and also my ubering.

so probably at the lower engine capacities, I’m leaning more towards a 5 as my passengers would appreciate the roominess, a nice 5 series in black could probably do well if I decided to dabble in private hire as well. 

And yes I know I should be using a Prius, but I’d rather be comfortable if I’m going to have to sit on my ass and drive all day, currently I have a ford fiesta S but the manual trans is killing my left knee. 

Edited by LemonHunter
Im an Idiot, not looking at E90/E60, rather F10s and F30's

Beware of N-series engines.
The N42/N46 aren't widely regarded as reliable regardless of servicing, and the N47 is not as reliable as the older M47.

6-pot petrol N-series engines may be better, but perhaps not as economically suitable for Ubering. 

Good to know thanks, the fuel is deductible, if I could afford a v8 or a turbo I’d probably go for it, costs are deductible after all 😉 I’m aiming for 2013 or newer and under 15k.

how are the diesel engines?

2 hours ago, gjm said:

The N42/N46 aren't widely regarded as reliable regardless of servicing, and the N47 is not as reliable as the older M47.

6-pot petrol N-series engines may be better, but perhaps not as economically suitable for Ubering. 

N series v8 are trash too unless they've had all the issues fixed 

• Sad 1

You’ll be looking at F series cars with that age requirement. F10 5er has lots of expensive electronics which may be getting to end of life, F30 3er a bit less luxurious / spacious but maybe fewer things to break - engine choices at your price point are N47 2L diesel (generally sound, needs oil changes more often than the bmw recommended 30k/2yrs and timing chains are a bit of a weak point) N20 2L turbo petrol in 135kw or 180kw variants, which I think are probably the best 4cyl petrol bmw have made (low bar i know!) or N53 NA 6cyl which sounds nice but not that powerful or reliable (I think injectors are $500 each and currently out of stock). Of those options I’d take the diesel I think, esp if doing lots of k’s

Edited by balancerider

7 hours ago, gjm said:

Id say that applies to just about N series engine from a cost point if compared to the older M series stuff - more complex\less reliable\cost more to maintain (not to mention all the non engine related stuff).

N42 marked the beginning. It feels like they borrowed design tips from VAG and combined them with their own stupid ones. 

• Like 2

I’m an idiot, the 5 series I’ve been looking at is F10, I take it the same rules on engines apply.

Good tip on the electronics in the 5, whatever I get ideally needs to last 5 years without costing the moon. 

even the 3 series will be more luxurious and spacious than a Prius or a leaf 

Given the higher kms you might be doing, the diesels could suit you well. Pretty bullet proof in the F series. BUT, be aware you will need to do a decent high speed run (20-30 mins) every 1000km or so to regenerate the DPF. So long as you have some out-of-town running in your usage the diesel will serve you well. 

Haven't had any majors with our 535i over 5 years. Some oil leaks, dead starter, and worn suspension arms, but that's all normal stuff. It's even relatively frugal.  7.5-12l/100km country/city.

Edited by GorGasm

17 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

'Lovely cars but ones a bit old (2013 is the limit) and the other a bit pricy ($15k tops).

Quite like the look of this, though not so keen on living the RUC life.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320d/listing/4178515256

35 minutes ago, LemonHunter said:

'Lovely cars but ones a bit old (2013 is the limit) and the other a bit pricy ($15k tops).

Quite like the look of this, though not so keen on living the RUC life.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320d/listing/4178515256

Best to get an N47 powered car that’s had the timing chain job done already.

• Like 1

Timing chains were an issue on the earlier N47s but.a redesign post 2009 improved them a lot. There was another design change in 2012, and the twin-scroll version used in this F31 is said to be improved further (no doubt as a result of the failures of the previous versions). While timing chain faliures are the most common issue with a N47, they are not very common issue, and you would be unlucky to get one so long as regular maintenance has been kept up. The difficulty with this particular car being a new import is to find the service history - if it has a service booklet with regular services in it thats good, or check the service section of the idrive. If it's not had a good service history then it becomes a more difficult decision.  

• Like 1