Harper

BMW E46 Compact 330Ti Build

I have dreamed about building a 330Ti for years as a more daily alternative to my E46 M3. Ever since I bought my first E46 I have always loved the compact and have quietly planned a project like this but most NZ compacts are shopping trolly spec and aren't worth building into something special. I have almost bought a few different compacts over the past year or two with this project in mind but the timing was never right and I really wanted a unique spec... When this 318Ti came up for sale in this spec I bought it within hours of it being listed and picked it up the next day, perfect base to become my dream 330Ti. No, the front end is not going to get changed, I love the bug eyes.

Rare in alpine white, alcantara laser cloth interior, black m cube trim, no sunroof, factory xenons (rare on NZ compacts), all the msport kit, I put the style 216Ms on it but they'll get new tyres.

20230824_174421.thumb.jpg.4cb93a4ea7bd85448d7fe8752e3f5b26.jpg

20230824_174434.thumb.jpg.92ffcee33bdfec4edd08ac2a027293c5.jpg

20230730_165259.thumb.jpg.cf88966de5528ba0eb1da352a50d47d1.jpg

20230730_165309.thumb.jpg.01e883f260a72414967e007ff22a34d9.jpg

20230727_141113.thumb.jpg.edeec6e29393b98f57a9fe6bfc95e165.jpg

56845641.thumb.jpg.dfe614a5e176be28902dd131f686ba8c.jpg

It will get all of the 330 bits, brakes, diff, axles, along with the engine and a ZF 5 speed gearbox. Not sure how much of the process I will document since I'm looking forward to enjoying the build and having something to tinker on in the evenings again but I'll try take some photos along the way and post them up.

The day after I bought the compact I got a fortune cookie with some dumplings and this was the note inside. Seems to be a good omen from the universe. 

Snapchat-934727027.thumb.jpg.2af816da82d6664d153db0818a5c06e7.jpg

Edited by Harper
  • Like 9

Those 216s suit it really well. Certainly a great spec. In white, with those wheels, dare I say I think it’s quite an attractive car?!

Build sounds awesome, will be a great daily.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kees said:

Those 216s suit it really well. Certainly a great spec. In white, with those wheels, dare I say I think it’s quite an attractive car?!

Build sounds awesome, will be a great daily.

Before I saw this one for sale I don't think I've ever even seen another white one on the road. I'm definitely in the minority but I actually think they look cool once they have the msport bumpers and skirts on them, but the colour is what really makes it.

From what I can gather from the NZTA fleet info there are 10 white compacts in NZ, all 318 autos.

• Like 1

Fugly car but quite an amazing spec and a great project, looking forward to any updates you choose to provide.

And those wheels actually look epic on it.

Not considering an N52? Join the fam? ;)

They get a bunch of hate the ti's but in Msport trim they actually look pretty tasty, especially the rear. Looks great in white this thing, good find! Very keen to follow the progress.

Are these the same wheel base as the rest of the lineup or will the driveshaft need modifying? Not sure on specifics but I think the rear subframe on these was somehow different from the other body shapes as well. 

56 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Fugly car but quite an amazing spec and a great project, looking forward to any updates you choose to provide.

And those wheels actually look epic on it.

Not considering an N52? Join the fam? ;)

I love the fugly

If only, I'd already have a perfect donor car. Far more involved swap I'd imagine. From what I can tell N42>M54 should be reasonably straight forward. Ironically I'm selling the 130i to make space for the closest thing there would be to it's predecessor.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vass said:

They get a bunch of hate the ti's but in Msport trim they actually look pretty tasty, especially the rear. Looks great in white this thing, good find! Very keen to follow the progress.

Are these the same wheel base as the rest of the lineup or will the driveshaft need modifying? Not sure on specifics but I think the rear subframe on these was somehow different from the other body shapes as well. 

Same wheelbase. Suspension pickup points are all the same except for the rear subframe which is different, but the medium case diff still fits in the compact subframe. More or less everything should bolt up like factory, they did make a 325ti after all. The exhaust and a couple bits in the EVAP and fuel system are 325ti specific but I've already sourced those and I think most people just splice and join the lines and make something work anyway, custom exhaust etc. Few differences going 4cyl to 6cyl obviously but should be easy enough with a donor car... I hope

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

Nice, ive never seen one in white. Its too bad the N42 was such a rubbish engine compared to the M44\M42. Im converting my Ti to manual in the weekend but i like the M44 too much to put a M5X in it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

Nice, ive never seen one in white. Its too bad the N42 was such a rubbish engine compared to the M44\M42. Im converting my Ti to manual in the weekend but i like the M44 too much to put a M5X in it.

If it was a lightweight cool revvy 4 cylinder I'd probably just manual swap it and rebuild the motor. As it is, the n42 is leaky, oily and sad and I won't feel bad about gutting it. The 3L M54 with the auto 330 diff should make this thing feel pretty lively I think.

Edited by Harper

A woman at work had a white one, spent $4,800 on fixing it (I said don't bother) and then about 8-9 months later, got another bill for ~$2k. She then sold it.

Looks like a fun project once it's finished.

4 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

A woman at work had a white one, spent $4,800 on fixing it (I said don't bother) and then about 8-9 months later, got another bill for ~$2k. She then sold it.

Looks like a fun project once it's finished.

If she lives out near Silverdale this might be hers. As far as compacts go it's been very well looked after, wouldn't be surprised if it's had some money spent on it. Has a few small issues, wiper jets not working and lock cylinder in the door is broken. But both pretty easy fixes.

She listed it cheap and had half a dozen people who said they'd buy it if the sale to me fell through, she couldn't believe the interest there was in it. I'm very glad I happened to be browsing fb marketplace the night she listed it otherwise I would have certainly missed out. 

2 hours ago, Harper said:

The 3L M54 with the auto 330 diff should make this thing feel pretty lively I think.

Your experience may differ but I found the auto 3.38 diff near enough unusable with the 5-speed ZF. You race through 1st gear way too quick and the car kept lurching when getting on the power too quick from standstill or going over railway lines and such. I just couldn't live with it. 

2 minutes ago, Vass said:

Your experience may differ but I found the auto 3.38 diff near enough unusable with the 5-speed ZF. You race through 1st gear way too quick and the car kept lurching when getting on the power too quick from standstill or going over railway lines and such. I just couldn't live with it. 

Definitely possible. Those kinds of things I'll adjust to taste once the cars built and running.

I think it should be fine given the ZF 5 speed has near identical ratios as the getrag 420G in my M3 (just missing the overdrive gear obviously) and that has an even higher ratio diff than the auto 330 and I have no issues driving that. I'll be retaining the DMF as well since I don't believe the NVH tradeoffs on a single mass are worth it for a road car. 

Wheels look great and the crisp white really adds to the oddball late 90s /early 00s vibe.

Usually those Msport E46 Alcantara interior don't age well but looks super clean!

Enjoyed my auto 3.38 diff ZF manual E46 - yes, first was short but gave every other gear way more oomph than the 2.93.

3 hours ago, Harper said:

If she lives out near Silverdale this might be hers. As far as compacts go it's been very well looked after, wouldn't be surprised if it's had some money spent on it. Has a few small issues, wiper jets not working and lock cylinder in the door is broken. But both pretty easy fixes.

She listed it cheap and had half a dozen people who said they'd buy it if the sale to me fell through, she couldn't believe the interest there was in it. I'm very glad I happened to be browsing fb marketplace the night she listed it otherwise I would have certainly missed out. 

I checked the plate through Carjam as hers had a personalised plate, not hers, although yours did have an interesting plate previously.

10 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Wheels look great and the crisp white really adds to the oddball late 90s /early 00s vibe.

Usually those Msport E46 Alcantara interior don't age well but looks super clean!

Enjoyed my auto 3.38 diff ZF manual E46 - yes, first was short but gave every other gear way more oomph than the 2.93.

Interior is minty except for a tear in the driver side bolster, like you say not uncommon with the alcantara seats. I specifically wanted this interior though, I'm a sucker for cloth interiors, especially alcantara, and I love that it shares the same fabric as the CSL. Fortunately my neighbour is an automotive upholsterer so I'll get him to make one good set out of two by swapping the good offside bolsters onto the others and rebuild the foam and what not while the covers are off.

Your old E46 was gorgeous, if I can get this anywhere near as clean I'll be very happy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I checked the plate through Carjam as hers had a personalised plate, not hers, although yours did have an interesting plate previously.

I noticed that as well. Very strange, first NZ registration too. "I hate ANZ"?

1 hour ago, Harper said:

I noticed that as well. Very strange, first NZ registration too. "I hate ANZ"?

Could be anyone with a mortgage…

• Haha 2

Donor acquired, 01 330i 145,xxxkms. If anyone wants any parts from the 330 that I'm not using feel free to message me. Now to make some space and list my 130 for sale.

20230903_142356.thumb.jpg.06ced0703a837f84978739d19b535f02.jpg

20230903_142442.thumb.jpg.301cb999181cf52c18bb735cab168b0f.jpg

20230903_142448.thumb.jpg.976750b0b103fdd2247bc9e0999cd81f.jpg

20230903_142500.thumb.jpg.34a1a234b2e45569af3a87e7c4d7e88d.jpg

Edited by Harper

Uff looks a real tidy one that, anything majorly wrong with it that you're parting it out or just git it cheap enough? 

You doing much in terms of engine refurb, gaskets-seals-chain guides or just dropping it in? Keeping the old style coils or switching to the updated valve cover?

57 minutes ago, Vass said:

Uff looks a real tidy one that, anything majorly wrong with it that you're parting it out or just git it cheap enough? 

You doing much in terms of engine refurb, gaskets-seals-chain guides or just dropping it in? Keeping the old style coils or switching to the updated valve cover?

I thought that as I was posting the photos, but it is much worse in the flesh. Body is really rough, paint peeling on almost every panel and dents everywhere, Interior is beat, suspension is very tired, tamper dot on the dash (I think from the LCM being replaced since the mileage is genuine). But it has had some nice bits replaced on it in 2022 that I'll use, battery, radiator, belts/tensioners, ac condenser and a few other bits. I wanted something running well to begin with so I'm not chasing issues at the other end and the engine on this feels pretty strong to me. I did also just get it for cheap 15 minutes away from where I live so I figured I'd jump on it

I have a huge list of parts that I'll refresh while the motors out, vcg, sump gasket and oil pump nut safety wire, vanos seals, DISA valve rebuild, engine mounts, intake pipes, coolant hoses and pipes, CCV bits, dipstick orings, rms, thermostat and waterpump, probably a bunch that I forgot to mention. The chain guides I considered as well but IIRC that requires disturbing the timing and I don't have the timing tools so I'll probably leave all that as is. Not sure whether I will bother doing the rod bearings since M54s aren't really known for eating them like the S54 but I'll probably check them when the engine is out and decide then.

I'll keep the old style coils for now but not opposed to swapping them, whats the benefit to changing to the new style?

Edited by Harper

Yeah i dont see the point in doing just the guides either when crappy rings is the main issue, but then if you do those you usually doing a full strip down\refresh. 

The later model M54 apparently have reinforced valve cover that doesnt crack as much, but you need the later style coil packs to use it. Personally i don't think that's all that common here in NZ at least esp with NZ new cars.

The old style coils have better metal design with a more robust base and connector. They feel much more solid and are harder to break\easier to remove. I feel they dont fail as much too but i have no real proof.

The new style ones use that plastic quick release tab that can snap and the connectors and coil themselves just feel cheaper and weaker. BMW cost cutting design first used on the legendary N42.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harper said:

I'll keep the old style coils for now but not opposed to swapping them, whats the benefit to changing to the new style?

Come to think of it, I don't even know. Forget I asked. 

• Like 1

Here's one for inspiration, built by HellBM some years ago if I'm not mistaken. Looks all sorts of wrong though..

1468262428_Screenshot_20230910_201443_TradeMe.thumb.jpg.ead2f7a6bb54639d33f30c5fd9cbe179.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/4316428545

They had a series of videos on this build on youtube as well. Can dig it up if that'd be of any help. 

• Like 1