Sign in to follow this  
Straykiwi

Buying my dream car

Hi all,  I have just ordered a G81 M3 Touring,  my first ever BMW.  In fact it will be the second BMW I have ever driven, the first being the demo G80 M3 Comp xDrive sedan from the dealership.  This car is my dream car,  and I am really looking forward to enjoying it for a long time.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations.

How much are you planning on selling it for when it arrives? 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Is it being built for you? What colour did you choose?

Yes it is a factory order and no I have not received a build slot yet.  The colour is Isle of Man Green with black wheels, black brake calipers and a black leather interior.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Apex said:

Congratulations.

How much are you planning on selling it for when it arrives? 

I'll only consider extortionately high offers. 😛

In all seriousness I meant what I said,  this one I intend to keep.

25 minutes ago, Straykiwi said:

Yes it is a factory order and no I have not received a build slot yet.  The colour is Isle of Man Green with black wheels, black brake calipers and a black leather interior.

Winner. Best colour and kudos. I would have gone with a grey interior and yellow calipers but I cant afford one and cant expect someone else to build it for me 5 years before I can.

I only say that as near every enthusiast car as of late seems to end up on Trade-Me a month later for RRP or higher and I know the M3 Touring will be in demand. 

Likely to be the one and only M3 Touring so good on you for indulging when you can.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Straykiwi said:

Nice, the green is a very cool colour. Please keep us updated as the build progresses. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Apex said:

I only say that as near every enthusiast car as of late seems to end up on Trade-Me a month later for RRP or higher and I know the M3 Touring will be in demand. 

Interesting that both the Chch and Hamilton dealer demo G81’s were on trade me <24h before being taken down (both at rrp) so clearly the demand is there. I love the idea of an M touring but think I’d take an Alpina B3 instead

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Apex said:

I went into the ballot for a GR Corolla and never got lucky.  I was less than amused when I saw them start to appear on Trade-Me later being sold "for personal reasons..."  Yeah right, about 76000 personal reasons... 😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Apex said:

Winner. Best colour and kudos. I would have gone with a grey interior and yellow calipers but I cant afford one and cant expect someone else to build it for me 5 years before I can.

I wanted a grey interior but the missus vetoed it (had to keep her happy since I'd never hear the end of it otherwise).  As for the brake calipers,  I didn't think you could get them in yellow.  You can get gold ones if you buy the carbon ceramic discs, which at $16,500 was something I didn't want.  The only options I could find were blue (default),  black or red.

4 hours ago, balancerider said:

Interesting that both the Chch and Hamilton dealer demo G81’s were on trade me <24h before being taken down (both at rrp) so clearly the demand is there. I love the idea of an M touring but think I’d take an Alpina B3 instead

I asked the dealer about how Hamilton had managed to acquire a M3 Tourer and got told a very sad tale, not one I want to repeat on a public forum.  I am inclined to believe them because they were selling the car (as in it was not being sold privately) and it wasn't road registered which is why I had to test drive their demo M3 comp sedan instead.  I did get to sit in it, it does look full stealth mode in the blacked out scheme but my current car is black and it's a pain in the ass to keep clean.  So thanks but I think I'll wait for a green one.

Yeah I quite like the look of the Alpina B3 too,  it certainly looks far more elegant and understated.  But this is a M3! 👍

Awesome! an Isle of Man Green G81 is an incredible looking car - perhaps not the most 'classically' beautiful, but a genuine head turner with insane performance and practicality 😎

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 5:52 PM, TonyT said:

Nice, the green is a very cool colour. Please keep us updated as the build progresses. 

Just got emailed by the dealer.  Build slot confirmed for the second week in January 2024.

• Like 5

Yup, that’s the Isle of Man green, on an M3 Touring no less.

• Like 3

Pretty much identical to what I am buying externally.

EDIT:  I don't know how I feel knowing I won't have the only Isle of Man green M3 Touring in NZ.  I thought everyone went for Dravit/Oxide/Brooklyn/Skyscraper Grey these days?

EDIT 2:  Since NZ's car registry data is searchable, for the month ending January 2024 there are 21 M3 Tourings registered in NZ.  There will be 3 'green' M3 Tourings in NZ once mine arrives.  We know at least one of the others is also Isle of Man green,  the third one could be an individual colour, who knows?  Keep an eye out in and around Auckland as that is where the other two were delivered.  

Edited by Straykiwi

On 12/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, Straykiwi said:

I thought everyone went for Dravit/Oxide/Brooklyn/Skyscraper Grey these days?

Don't forget Mineral! 😂

Dravit / Oxide do look good in the sun but there are so many nice Individual greens available now too (if you're prepared to pay the extra). IOM actually looks really good on the touring.

• Like 1

Update: received my vehicles VIN number from the dealer this afternoon. 

• Like 2

Update:  App now says delivery is under way.  Let the logistics lottery begin!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:21 PM, Straykiwi said:

Update:  App now says delivery is under way.  Let the logistics lottery begin!

Yup, the ports in Europe still seem to be backed up with cars, fingers crossed yours comes through quickly!

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, Cement said:

Not sure what flavour green this is but just spotted at BMW North Shore.

20231220_114311.jpg

was planning to paint my e30 this colour! absolutely inlove with it

• Like 1

Update:  My car is on a vessel awaiting passage through the Panama Canal.  ETA in NZ is early April.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Straykiwi said:

Update:  My car is on a vessel awaiting passage through the Panama Canal.  ETA in NZ is early April.

I am so excited for you man!

• Thanks 1

manditory pics and meetup when you get it :)

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 9:14 AM, hybrid said:

manditory pics and meetup when you get it :)

Oh for sure, photos will be provided here, no need to ask.

I have a mate who owns a F80 M3,  I might meet up with him and his car somewhere in Auckland at some point after the dust settles.  Lots of things need to happen before that becomes possible,  so we shall just have to wait and see.

Update:  Vessel is now ~35nm east of Great Barrier Island on an ESE heading at 14 knots,  due to dock in Auckland tomorrow evening.

• Like 3