E63

Must-have tools

Oh and if it's not been mentioned, get a decent set of flare spanners for brake pipes and the likes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vass said:

Lifetime replacement though. I've only broken a 3/8 one so far, and that was probably my own stupidity, trying to break loose a bolt that was too big and done up too tight for it.

I just like stuff that holds up for life and feels good to use, just like id buy a quality used car over a cheap new one any day. Started off using my father Koken set hes had since 70's, still perfect and been used quite a by me over the years. BMW's are pretty good but when you working in tight awkward areas undoing stuff in more comes into play, those tool test channels like Project Farm etc give you a idea. 

19 hours ago, Driftit said:

I have a Powerbuilt 1/2" set that I purchased 20 years ago and have thrashed.  Still mint.  Still tight.

I've lost far more tools than I have broken.  Or they have been borrowed at the race track and never made it back.

I have a bunch of Milwaukee power tools.  I purchased them whilst living in the US.  It made sense there.  I am not convinced they do here.  I look at the Ryobi stuff often.

+1. For a home mechanic they are fine if used properly and only on occasion will last a lifetime. 

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

I just like stuff that holds up for life and feels good to use, just like id buy a quality used car over a cheap new one any day. Started off using my father Koken set hes had since 70's, still perfect and been used quite a by me over the years. BMW's are pretty good but when you working in tight awkward areas undoing stuff in more comes into play, those tool test channels like Project Farm etc give you a idea. 

Funny, I have a Koken socket set from an uncle that passed away in the 90's and its still mint also. Even still have the 10mm.

One thing people also forget is a decent fire extinguisher. They are inexpensive but could save you thousands. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vass said:

I ordered a cheap endoscope off Aliexpress for all of $7 US, the USBc type with a phone app. Only used it just once so far but worked surprisingly well for how ridiculously cheap it was. A great little gadget to have on hand.

I'm a sucker for AliExpress cheapies as well. Plastic sh*t like trim removal tools you always wanna get from there. The ones they sell locally are identical and cost 3-4x. Pick tools are another thing I need to grab from there. I've had an endoscope in my cart for a bit but haven't gotten round to doing another order just yet.

Got some mates heading over to Japan this month. I've asked if they could grab me a Koken 3/8 socket set. 

Few things to consider from posts here. I still reckon the Ryobi ratchet looks awkward to use, and would pick the Milwaukee M12 high speed ratchet, and Stubby impact wrench to go with it.

image.png.8089b936d72087542fb1f776599e2d2d.png

Price from Sulco 😭

35 minutes ago, E63 said:

I'm a sucker for AliExpress cheapies as well. Plastic sh*t like trim removal tools you always wanna get from there. The ones they sell locally are identical and cost 3-4x. Pick tools are another thing I need to grab from there. I've had an endoscope in my cart for a bit but haven't gotten round to doing another order just yet.

Got some mates heading over to Japan this month. I've asked if they could grab me a Koken 3/8 socket set. 

Few things to consider from posts here. I still reckon the Ryobi ratchet looks awkward to use, and would pick the Milwaukee M12 high speed ratchet, and Stubby impact wrench to go with it.

image.png.8089b936d72087542fb1f776599e2d2d.png

Price from Sulco 😭

That Quickjack was $2299 at Costco. 

18 hours ago, KwS said:

Nothing wrong with Ryobi for automotive, but I do agree the ratchet is a bit big; I have one and wish i didnt buy it. The rattle gun, drill, grinder, torches etc have all done me well.

I have 5 genuine batteries (2x 5ah, 1x 4ah, and two smaller ones), none of them have any issues. Most are 4+ years old now, with regular use.

Glad someone’s had a good run with them, we haven’t. 

8 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

CostCo sells this kind of stuff? Might be high time I went up and had a gander. I don't think I've been to Auckland for 5+ years.

3 hours ago, Apex said:

Funny, I have a Koken socket set from an uncle that passed away in the 90's and its still mint also. Even still have the 10mm

I get thr feeling that japanese stuff was more common place and probably cheaper back in the day. Aigo spanners used to common and cheap, now they fetch good money 2nd hand. Used quality hand tools are one of the best things you can buy with money, they don't tend to lose value, last forever and never become obsolete.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, E63 said:

I don't think I've been to Auckland for 5+ years.

Might want to use Google maps vs the BMW NAV, things have changed slightly up this way, I visited the town I spent 30+ years growing up in and needed Google Maps to find my way out of it. 

If your general fitness and flexibility is ok I don't think those quick jacks are terribly useful, well unless you are 45cm tall or have some kind of a "pit crew fantasy". Quality trolly jacks and jack stands will be more beneficial in a confined garage. 

I have moved from having a proper hoist back to jacks and can say the struggle is real. I almost paid someone to do my shocks a few months back, the job took so long I probably should have. 

2 minutes ago, Apex said:

Might want to use Google maps vs the BMW NAV, things have changed slightly up this way, I visited the town I spent 30+ years growing up in and needed Google Maps to find my way out of it. 

If your general fitness and flexibility is ok I don't think those quick jacks are terribly useful, well unless you are 45cm tall or have some kind of a "pit crew fantasy". Quality trolly jacks and jack stands will be more beneficial in a confined garage. 

I have moved from having a proper hoist back to jacks and can say the struggle is real. I almost paid someone to do my shocks a few months back, the job took so long I probably should have. 

Way ahead of you. BMW nav at least with CCC iDrive is pretty awful to use in general 😄

Jacking up manually doesn't seem like a major.. I'd jack it up Friday evening instead of doing it right before I wanna work on it.

2 hours ago, E63 said:

CostCo sells this kind of stuff? Might be high time I went up and had a gander. I don't think I've been to Auckland for 5+ years.

Don’t rush, last time I was there they were out of stock. But they will get them in again.

I'm not sure if it counts, but a decent code reader.  ISTA, INPA etc.  You're peeing into the wind without one :)

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, Palazzo said:

It was on sale not long ago at well under 2000. Bargain. 

And did we mention the mighty c-tek battery charger yet? 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, Spinner99 said:

I'm not sure if it counts, but a decent code reader.  ISTA, INPA etc.  You're peeing into the wind without one :)

Got that. K-DCAN cable with a laptop is the way to go. I’ve had a bit of fun coding with NCSExpert.

14 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

It was on sale not long ago at well under 2000. Bargain. 

And did we mention the mighty c-tek battery charger yet? 

Ctek MXS-5(?) is on the list too. Timm’s YouTube channel sort of showed me the ropes when I first got my car, and his recommendations stuck with me haha.

18 minutes ago, E63 said:

Ctek MXS-5(?) is on the list too. Timm’s YouTube channel sort of showed me the ropes when I first got my car, and his recommendations stuck with me haha.

That's the one. On special at repco at the moment. 

The C-Tech kit come with a easy tether plug also. I just tell people my car is EV. 

Can say from experience that remembering to unplug it before driving away is recommended. 

• Haha 1

Hand tools.  The Teng stuff can be had at reasonable prices.  I'm not keen on their ratchets.  Also consider Jonnesway from BNT, nicely finished, work well.  

1/4" drive set, with a small comfortable ratchet, extensions and wobble-bars and unis is essential (IMHO) on BMW and Volvo.  You'll need the torx sockets, and the deep sockets as well.  I got by with 1/2" and 1/4" for a good while, though ultimately having 3/8" drive as well makes things more comfortable.  

1/2" power bar.  You want a strong one, as when you need one you've got to rely on it.  You're going to STRESS it.  You're going to put a 1.5 metre steam pipe - or anything you can find to add leverage - and you need to avoid breakage-inflicted injuries.  Don't cheap-out on a breaker bar.  Look for one with a big-diameter pin (the one that pivots the connector socket head).  

Quality Screwdrivers. Good quality screwdrivers fit the fasterner better, grip in your hand better (and thus transfer more power), and are more durable.  Cheap screwdrivers are as much use as a chocolate teapot.  While you're at it, you've no excuse to buy cheap screwdrivers to abuse, as you've just bought a set of Pry-Bars.  Use the proper tool for the job - they're safer.  And buy a set of drifts/pin-punches, they're the bomb.

Circlip Pliers - internal and external.  Nuff said.  Right tool for job.

A 12v test lamp!. When you just need to find power, or confirm power is present, the good old test-lamp with needle tip (or the modern equivalent - the power-probe) is the bomb, and faster than a meter.

Old tools.  If you can find a full set of old tools - like 1960's/70's/80's from the likes of Koken/Stahlwille/Britool/Sidchrome/Aigo/Facom, they're better than new stuff.  Let's face it bargain Snap-On rarely happens.  Older quality was better in the mid-range than most of the modern mid-range, and used top-end will cost you less than new mid-range. You can find these value-buys on TradeMe, at Garage Sales, deceased estate, second hand shops etc.  Save big.  You can build your own set from bits and pieces, put your sockets on a keeper bar.  The modern stuff (eg new Craftsman, new Stanley etc are not like the old stuff.  Example: Craftsman used to be made in USA and unconditionally gauranteed forever - now it's made in China by a company that's bought-up a lot of the old-school tool brands.  I have a 17mm or 19mm 1/2" Craftsman socket that I've beaten-on for more than 25 years, it's lost some of the plating at the tips from (quite) a bit of abuse on a rattle-gun and it just keeps going - Deathproof!  I've jinxed it now.  

Real Estate Signs.  Excellent insulation for lying on or kneeling on beneath your car.  Corflute rocks as an insulator, and you'll frequently find them blowing down the road when the winds are strong.  Recycling!

LED lighting.  Portable LED lights are excellent for working beneath your car.  Squinting sucks.

Garage Stereo.  Again, from trademe or a garage sale.  Fill it up with 00's CDs from the tip shop.  You want to have some tunes while you work.  no need to faff around with a bluetooth speaker, get a hifi for under $100.

MOST IMPORTANT: PPE.  You need to take care of yourself. Eyes:  Safety glasses, safety googles, face sheilds.  So much cheaper than ACC and a glass eye. Ears:  get some good ear defenders and use them compulsively.  Your future, older self will thank you for it.  Hard to chat up your future wife/husband/insert your preferred title here at a bar if you're deaf.  Hands.  Gloves - mechanics gloves for general use.  It's easy to learn to handle the fine stuff with the thin neoprene gloves that absorb shock.  For everything else, use latex or the blue/black/orange disposable gloves.  Helps with quick cleanup of your hands when you've finished a job if you've not filled your nails and cuticles with stale grease.  Also keeps all the fluids you handle out of your skin, a good thing.  Lungs.  Get a decent respirator.  Use the appropriate filters for the job.  Visitors:  get a bucket of ear foam plugs, and extra pair or two of ear muffs, some extra safety glasses, disposable respirators - if you're lucky enough to have a mate lend a hand, help them stay safe.

Fire Extinguisher.  as someone mentioned earlier, fire extinguisher, and perhaps a fire blanket.  Steel can with lid for discarded rags - they can combust.  A steel cabinet to store your solvents/oils/paints in. Keep it closed!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Old tools

Was beginning to think i was the only here. May take me awhile but i could probably build up a quality tool set for a similar price than some cheapo new one. Facebook marketplace can deliver too despite the rubbish 'search'. Used Koken stuff (mainly ratchets) always seem to be for sale on trademe for around $50. What ive used for most of my wrenching life - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/sets-kits/listing/4405203721 

24 minutes ago, Olaf said:

LED lighting

Love my Fenix headlamp. I know some people dont like them, but i wear mine much that forget its even there sometimes. Lamps have their uses too.

• Like 1

More on the Old Tools thing.  Deceased Estate house clearance... the auctions come through and decide what they want.  The clearance agent might get the Salvo's through.... it's heart-breaking what goes in the bin, no time to sell, and it costs time/money to sell stuff that just doesn't pay back.  It's not unusual to see a fellow-traveller car enthusiast or engineer's life collection of toolage disposed of - at least sometimes it's the MenzShed.  Dunno how you crack on to this stuff without being ghoulish - gotta be simpatico.

Right, so you’re telling us to gatecrash funerals and politely enquire about the plans for the deceased’s tools 😆

3 hours ago, E63 said:

Right, so you’re telling us to gatecrash funerals and politely enquire about the plans for the deceased’s tools 😆

Yes, bit like first episode of 'Still Game'. 

On 11/13/2023 at 8:36 AM, E63 said:

No, I’m saying keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground.  If you move out to the suburbs you can get to know your neighbours.
When we were gathered at my folks house after my Mum passed, one of the neighbours from down the street enquired, said he’d heard about my Mum, offered his condolences, and then asked what we were doing with the commodore.  I was about to advertise it having discussed it with my fellow executors, it was on the very large list of things we had to attend to.  His timing was perfect.  Test drive, offer, accepted.  Showed up that night with his 18 year old Son, freshly licensed, eyes shining, and a wedge he’d been working hard to save in his holiday jobs.  The son had his eyes on the car since he was five years old, a family of Holden enthusiasts. Everyone happy, reasonable price and going to locals who knew the car and would cherish it.  Something ticked off the list; we had a whole house to clear, probate to reach and an estate to settle.  It’s a job, and if you think that sounds cold, I hope you don’t need to learn it too soon! 😳
If you see a forensic cleaning or house clearance van in the driveway, nothing wrong with a quiet word.  It’s all part of the cycle of life.  

Edited by Olaf
Wedge

IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.1c763111a98b972f738fc313b0295d41.jpeg

IMG_3795.thumb.jpeg.d7b14bfae5c710bf39d11991135e65f0.jpeg

Well-used assortment of quality 3/8” drive extensions filling a gap in my 3/8 set. 1970’s Stahlwille, Koken, Snap-On.  Estate sale.

Edited by Olaf
extensions
  • Like 1

Full rack of 1/4” six-point metric, built from sale table boxes at tool shops for spare change.  I have another rack with Torx sockets, another with deep dish.  The Craftsman ratchet I bought in North America in the 90’s, it’s a keeper.

IMG_3796.thumb.jpeg.fc9b196aaca93ba38b412ba8d4fe0768.jpeg