Driftit

Harry's Garage 5 series review

Oooofff is all I have to say at this time. 

• Haha 1

Haven't watched the video yet, but from what I have seen of the new 5 so far.  What is the point of it?  It's time for some real innovation in cars.  Cybertruck is a step in the right direction.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Haven't watched the video yet, but from what I have seen of the new 5 so far.  What is the point of it?  It's time for some real innovation in cars.  Cybertruck is a step in the right direction.

I would say the Cyber Truck is exactly the same thing with a kids drawing body slapped on top. Crammed full of gimmicks. You're not going to get driving enjoyment from one. But its perfect for the attention seeker. 

• Like 2

I agree, the Cybertruck looks like it was drawn by 7 year olds and by all accounts, built by 10 year olds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's a lot more going on under the surface on the cyber truck.  Structural body panels, battery tech, steer by wire, etc. Euros are the cars crammed with gimmicks.  China knows what's up, make high commodity, affordable, practical, and efficient ev boxes on wheels.

• Like 1

Frankly I would rather walk than drive a Cybertruck. It will age like a PT-Cruiser. The trendy EV hipsters think it’s cool, but objectively it’s absolutely hideous and quite useless. 

It’s already having range issues and it sucks off-road because it’s so heavy. Big yawn… buy something like a Ranger Raptor if you want a cool, fast Ute. 

Porsche’s synthetic fuel produced on a wide scale is the answer, not EVs. Enough said. 

11 hours ago, Driftit said:

You're not going to get driving enjoyment from one. But its perfect for the attention seeker. 

Not sure if you are referring to the cybertruck or the i5 there, but in terms of the i5 then I would argue that it depends on your definition of enjoyment. 
If throwing it through the twisties with the engine roaring is your idea of enjoyable, then yeah the i5 is not for you.

However, if driving from Auckland to Napier in serene comfort at not inconsiderable speed  (once over the ooh how many kms range can I get moment) with wife, kids and a bootfull of week-end stuff and getting out at the other end four and a half hours later not feeling it is more up your street then I would suggest you give it a try.

IMG_0409.jpeg

It also performed pretty well driving over the lumps and bumps of coarse chip in South Island as well.

IMG_0496.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not sure if you are referring to the cybertruck or the i5 there, but in terms of the i5 then I would argue that it depends on your definition of enjoyment. 
If throwing it through the twisties with the engine roaring is your idea of enjoyable, then yeah the i5 is not for you.

However, if driving from Auckland to Napier in serene comfort at not inconsiderable speed  (once over the ooh how many kms range can I get moment) with wife, kids and a bootfull of week-end stuff and getting out at the other end four and a half hours later not feeling it is more up your street then I would suggest you give it a try.

It also performed pretty well driving over the lumps and bumps of coarse chip in South Island as well.

What's the NZ retail on that Jon ^_^

Edited by Driftit

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

What's the NZ retail on that Jon ^_^

Less than an M5…😁

Would I buy one over an M5, probably not.

However, the more I drive fully electric vehicles, the more I am liking them! Will probably go electric for my next company car. I must be getting too old.

• Like 2

think the resale depreciation will be bigger on electric,well it is in Hawkes Bay in fact bayswater who own the majority of dealerships locally refuse to buy back an electric on to their yard,  salesman friend quoted a vehicle that cost 60k worth 20k as a trade at 12 moths old, ouch

With all the messing around in the electric segment last year, fees, rebates, etc. there was a lot of price adjustment in the volume market. Many brands were over stocked and the announcement of the removal of the rebate sent a lot of them into panic mode, with big price drops to move cars before 31st December. All of which has a big impact on the used car market, which in the case of electric vehicles was still very young and un-developed.  
Once the RUC change has gone into force, if there are no more govt changes, then the used electrics should sort themselves out.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:39 AM, GorGasm said:

There's a lot more going on under the surface on the cyber truck.  Structural body panels, battery tech, steer by wire, etc. Euros are the cars crammed with gimmicks.  China knows what's up, make high commodity, affordable, practical, and efficient ev boxes on wheels.

Yes most people that criticize don’t see underneath the cyber truck. Definitely an engineering and manufacturing feat, different times.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:07 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Less than an M5…😁

Would I buy one over an M5, probably not.

However, the more I drive fully electric vehicles, the more I am liking them! Will probably go electric for my next company car. I must be getting too old.

Same here, me and my wife actually thought we will not like our Tesla initially. We just got it as a spreadsheet decision, as our fuel bills was $1,000 - $1,200 a month. EVs are just different, also lots of engineering as well just different. The none car part is also great, I can sleep in it while waiting for my daughters archery, cabin is always preconditioned hot or cold, constantly getting upgraded with new useful functions as you own it. I do also enjoy more of the M5, coming from a silent EV the V10 and SMG does sound and move more brutal. It seems i5 edrive 40 touring will never come here? I did see an edrive 40 on the road, but only M60 is sold here?

The current offering is only the M60 for both the sedan and the touring. However, with all the changes in the market this is always being reviewed, so never say never.

Will be very interesting to compare with the new M5 and M5 Touring when they launch shortly.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:12 AM, Palazzo said:

I agree, the Cybertruck looks like it was drawn by 7 year olds and by all accounts, built by 10 year olds.

It looks like a failed design for a 1970's sci fi movie vehicle

damnation-alley-1-1024[1].jpg

• Haha 1