Sign in to follow this  
integrale

1M addiction

Recently bought the Sapphire Black 1M that
Wingers had in stock.

My third 1M. White, then Orange and now Black.

I know some people disagree but these are just great little cars!

• Like 4

Still got your orange one as well? I reckon that might have been the cleanest one in the country! 

Very nice, I think they are about the best M car ever made. 

On 6/26/2024 at 4:37 PM, Neil McCauley said:

Still got your orange one as well? I reckon that might have been the cleanest one in the country! 

No. Just the black one. I sold the Valencia Orange car to a forum member. No idea where it is now but, according to Carjam it's covered fewer than 8,000kms!

The black one I now have is very clean too but has travelled all of 27,000kms!

Years ago I owned the NZ new (tourist delivery and RHD converted) Misano red E30 M3 evo 2. Definitely one of those 'should never have sold it' cars but, I reckon the 1M is its real successor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, integrale said:

Years ago I owned the NZ new (tourist delivery and RHD converted) Misano red E30 M3 evo 2. Definitely one of those 'should never have sold it' cars but, I reckon the 1M is its real successor.

Writing as an aged M addict would have to disagree with your statement here Peter. The E30 is a purpose build naturally aspirated M car, whereas the 1M is a "parts bin" special  😉

I can appreciate your perspective, Bandit.

However, If a naturally aspirated engine is a requirement, there hasn't been an 'M' car built for more than ten years - and unlikely there'll ever be another. The 1M doesn't rev out like the M3 but its torque delivery is compelling.

My comparison is essentially about the cars' compact size. Both are small and wieldy. After almost 60 years on two, three, four and more wheels, that's the key for me. Agility, modest weight and modest size make both the 1M and E30 M3 great drivers' cars.

Sure the 1M's a 'parts bin special' and maybe it's a shame it didn't get the N/A S65 V8 while they were at it. Doesn't stop it being a great little car developed by enthusiast Motorsport engineers. Most commentators have moved on from the "not a real M car" mantra and now accept the 1M not just as a bona fide Motorsport car but as one of their best creations ever.

Interesting eclectic line-up in your garage!

Edited by integrale

My only issue with the 1M is that they are mostly owned by collectors.  They would make a great car to modify and play with like the M3's and M4's.
A B58/S58 swap would be great in these cars.

They should've developed an NA M motor out of the N52 as a successor to the S54 and put it in the 1M. The engine is the only thing that puts me off the 1M.

We had a standard 1M on a dyno day about a decade back with BMW CC Wgtn. Better engine option than S65. Made more power and torque than a e90 m3. Was a good 100hp higher than my e46 m3. The broucherware advertising only a few kilowatts more.  These cars have my respect.
Hope you enjoy ownership 😀

Personally think the n54 in the 1M can be a great engine with proper maintenance and some modifications. While i dont own a 1M i own the closest thing a 135i, that is about to be manual swapped. Have recently put a completely refreshed engine with a whole bunch of upgraded parts, including hybrid turbos, with a very mild tune (14psi) it made 470hp and 630Nm @engine. The main difference being power held on all the way up top, and power delivery being far more linear now with the custom tune, driving much more like an N/A car. I think once its manual swapped (with genuine oem M perf. short shift kit) it will be a fantastic drivers car, can only imagine how good the 1M must drive with the wide tires and m3 suspension.

• Like 2