Bennyboy

Anyone know any history on this?

I know this car well. It was a Singaporean import that was brought into NZ with very low k’s. Was purchased by an Aucklander who owned a famous furniture company. He owned it for a long time - and was serviced at BM Workshop. In 2007-2008 it was purchased by a friend of mine who worked at BMW NZ. He added the modern wheels and the M-tech CSI style Aero body kit. He drove the car moderately and was a fantastic custodian of it until he sold it 3-4 years ago. Very rare In Dakar yellow. Price is crazy cheap in my opinion. Great example of a classic car in a very rare and compelling colour. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ssbmw said:

I know this car well. It was a Singaporean import that was brought into NZ with very low k’s. Was purchased by an Aucklander who owned a famous furniture company. He owned it for a long time - and was serviced at BM Workshop. In 2007-2008 it was purchased by a friend of mine who worked at BMW NZ. He added the modern wheels and the M-tech CSI style Aero body kit. He drove the car moderately and was a fantastic custodian of it until he sold it 3-4 years ago. Very rare In Dakar yellow. Price is crazy cheap in my opinion. Great example of a classic car in a very rare and compelling colour. 

Great info - much appreciated 

in be keen to chat with your mate if he was open to do so 

B

My mate Marquis Harris used to own this! What a beaut! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It was Marcus’s father. Neil. He is an enthusiast who did a lot of research on this car before acquiring it… Neil loved the look of mine with the CSI body-kit so ordered the kit with the mirrors. Personally, not sure the wheels befit the car. Sure- better than the boring original 16” this car came with from factory, but a set of staggered style 5’s or M- parallels would really elevate this car. 
Neil is now into modern American muscle.

• Like 2

yea neil worked at bmw HQ , for years 

i think thats his old one

• Like 1

Oooh yeah, the Dakar 840! What an awesome example of a BMW classic... and as @ssbmw says - waaaaay too crazy cheap!

Edited by treone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, treone said:

Oooh yeah, the Dakar 840! What an awesome example of a BMW classic... and as @ssbmw says - waaaaay too crazy cheap!

Sold for 32k 4 years ago 🤷 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bennyboy said:

Was stupid low then and crazy cheap now haha 🤣.

Tempting at this price and it would be an awesome addition to the collection... but nah, I'm good with two 😉

Edited by treone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Two! Wow! 

If I owned two I’d be saying this one is too cheap too 😂 

such a cool colour!

Agree, absolutely stunning colour!

This is my 5 cents worth. It is hard to get original, straight examples these days. This car despite being a Singaporean import has extensive NZ history. It’s been owned by BMW enthusiasts throughout its life. The mileage isn’t inter-galactic- not that you see too many 8’s with high travel. What appeals to me is the colour. I remember seeing it in Parnell in 2000 and I remember being blown away with how cool it looked- despite the naff 16” wheels it sat on. The E31 is arguably one of BMW’s prettiest designs and belies its age- it was designed in the 80’s but still looks majestic today  Dakar is so flamboyant but suits the car perfectly! 

• Like 3

On 7/20/2024 at 8:16 AM, Bennyboy said:

Sounds like its reasonably priced then. No coincidence the only people who own one think its cheap :lol:. It was actually cheap it probably would of sold already. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Sounds like it’s reasonably priced then. No coincidence the only people who own one think it’s cheap :lol:. It was actually cheap it probably would have sold already. 

To be fair though it sold within a week or two last time around. Rare old BMW prices have increased from a few years ago- even in NZ. Saying that though, the car market has cooled off on a global level. Things are not moving. Still think it represents great value - and I don’t own mine anymore. 

Yeah it may well technically be worth its price but economic and market conditions as you say.  Covid era pricing was artificially inflated and quite a few older BMW's now seem to be priced around their pre-covid values. Its certainly a speculator vehicle\garage queen at this point and that who would probably bit on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Garage queens be dammed - I can’t think of anything worse,. You’re basically depriving someone of using the car for its intended purpose purely for financial gain…. Selfish.

if you’re looking for investments, buy some gold, leave the cars for people who truly appreciate them 😆 

I think it was Jay Leno who famously said:

”Not driving your car in order to keep the mileage low is like not banging your girlfriend to make sure she’s nice and tight for her next boyfriend”

Wisdom beyond comprehension 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah it may well technically be worth its price but economic and market conditions as you say.  Covid era pricing was artificially inflated and quite a few older BMW's now seem to be priced around their pre-covid values. Its certainly a speculator vehicle\garage queen at this point and that who would probably bit on it.

I think anyone buying an 8er expecting them to rise significantly in value is an optimist.  They're unquestionably a cool car, though complexity is high/niche and popularity is a short side on that triangle.  If I had a garage space and some idle money, I'd keep the space empty and invest in the NASDAQ.

Heres my opinion. This is a really nice example in an iconic BMW colour (the only other one I know of is the CSI), has an original sport body kit fitted (bonus!) and had an owner who cared for it (although I know of this one, I have never seen it in the flesh or met/spoke with the prev owner). The current owner has priced it where they have priced it. Any potential buyer will either pay that or make an offer where they value it. The unknown variable is the motivation - to sell or buy.  Not everyone is thinking $$ or profit (I think it is mainly Bimmersporters that do haha.)
As an 8er owner, it is irrelevant to me what it (or any other for that matter) changes hands for, I’m not in the market, not now nor in the future. And tbh, I really couldn’t care less what it sells for.
If you’re looking to make some cash, flip or whatever then go invest somewhere else - you will probably get a better ROI. Trust me it is not just the purchase price. You will have to invest in maintenance. They don’t like to sit idle, so further invest will be required the longer you lock it away.  
These cars should be driven (and as alluded to above, any car should). And that’s where the value is to me - they are an example of their time period and are awesome to cruise in and to put miles on them! When I take it to local car shows it regularly gets positive looks and comments. Actually, this happens when I’m just out for a drive - can get rather awkward/embarrassing but that’s just prob me 😁.

To me, these cars truly are a BMW modern classic. There will never be another like them! If you want one then I recommend going for it - just have your eyes wide open!
and lastly, I freely admit my bias towards the e31😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, treone said:

Heres my opinion. This is a really nice example in an iconic BMW colour (the only other one I know of is the CSI), has an original sport body kit fitted (bonus!) and had an owner who cared for it (although I know of this one, I have never seen it in the flesh or met/spoke with the prev owner). The current owner has priced it where they have priced it. Any potential buyer will either pay that or make an offer where they value it. The unknown variable is the motivation - to sell or buy.  Not everyone is thinking $$ or profit (I think it is mainly Bimmersporters that do haha.)
As an 8er owner, it is irrelevant to me what it (or any other for that matter) changes hands for, I’m not in the market, not now nor in the future. And tbh, I really couldn’t care less what it sells for.
If you’re looking to make some cash, flip or whatever then go invest somewhere else - you will probably get a better ROI. Trust me it is not just the purchase price. You will have to invest in maintenance. They don’t like to sit idle, so further invest will be required the longer you lock it away.  
These cars should be driven (and as alluded to above, any car should). And that’s where the value is to me - they are an example of their time period and are awesome to cruise in and to put miles on them! When I take it to local car shows it regularly gets positive looks and comments. Actually, this happens when I’m just out for a drive - can get rather awkward/embarrassing but that’s just prob me 😁.

To me, these cars truly are a BMW modern classic. There will never be another like them! If you want one then I recommend going for it - just have your eyes wide open!
and lastly, I freely admit my bias towards the e31😁

Like many of you here, I have owned many BMW’s- mostly coupes because I have always loved BMW’s designs. However, the E31 got more attention than any other car I have owned. With the body-kit and right wheels- it’s a fantastic looking vehicle. 

IMG_0980.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, treone said:

Not everyone is thinking $$ or profit (I think it is mainly car dealers that do haha.)

Fixed it for you

Im sure most agree these should be driven like all cars and you can't not appreciate E31 styling. Most of these have low mileage for their age so clearly arent driven very much. To me its either people aren't inclined to drive them due to rarity\parts availability\running costs, don't want to due to potential lower re-sale value or they are just that good at being garage queens. Maybe its all of the above.  

What's the k's on your one?

14 hours ago, Olaf said:

I think anyone buying an 8er expecting them to rise significantly in value is an optimist.  They're unquestionably a cool car, though complexity is high/niche and popularity is a short side on that triangle.  If I had a garage space and some idle money, I'd keep the space empty and invest in the NASDAQ.

How much they would increase over time i wouldnt know, but you probably aint going to lose on the purchase price provided you didnt over pay, its in good nick and you don't drive it much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ssbmw said:

Like many of you here, I have owned many BMW’s- mostly coupes because I have always loved BMW’s designs. However, the E31 got more attention than any other car I have owned. With the body-kit and right wheels- it’s a fantastic looking vehicle. 

IMG_0980.jpeg

Wowee - those RC fronts are WIDE 

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Not everyone is thinking $$ or profit (I think it is mainly Bimmersporters that do haha.)

Fixed it for you too, which is more aligned the rest of your post! 🤣

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

What's the k's on your one?

Yeah, nah, not relevant 😎 - hmmm but if I was to say, lets go with 260km 😉

Back to the post - factory Dakar yellow 8er - hell yeah! 

• Haha 1

Last post from me...

3 hours ago, ssbmw said:

IMG_0980.jpeg

Just WOW!!

5 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

Wowee - those RC fronts are WIDE 

Completely factory- staggered with wider wheels on the back. My old car was completely original - from factory. Most of the NZ spec 840 ‘s came with style 5’s. 

IMG_0982.jpeg

Edited by ssbmw
  • Like 2