E30stz

Quick Questions

Wheres the exterior temp sensor on a 99 E39..hit a rabbit and now the plugs just hanging about,

have had a look and cant see much..will have to jack it up..but if someone can tell me where to look thatd be a great help! haha

Andrew

Where's the part number on an E30 Rear swaybar?

the 12mm bushings don't seem to fit. but the 13.5 ones seem to fit alot better..

I thaught it was a 12mm swaybar <.<

Upon measuring le swaybar it's thicker than 12mm.. so it must be a 13.5mm.

Edited by antil33t

ok, my aunt asked me to check her car. as she can't afford to pay a mechanic to check it.

she brought me her e36 m50 and told me that she noticed her exhaust is rather smoky.

i checked and at idle, even when the engine is warm the smoke is white and about 60cm long. it smelt like gas put my had against it but no moisture. have not tried to rev the engine and see if the smoke gets bigger or not.

she has not driven it for about 3 - 4 weeks.

checked radiator cap after cooling off a bit no oil in there and checked oil cap no chocolate either peeked inside the valve cover and cant see any chocolate either.. waited for it fully cool down and checked coolant level. its at normal.

head gasket? worn out spark plugs, o2? or a monster inside with a steel hammer?

ill try and do a compression test if i can find my tester

Some cars will smoke abit while warming up, also if not driven for a while they may smoke abit more than usual..

If it doesn't go away once at running temp, or if it gets smokier under throttle then there may be an issue.

p.s You won't find any chocolate in your engine :D

it was at running temp. she drove from north shore to my house which is like 20 km.

exhaust dont smell like coolant as well.

oil level is normal.

oh her car is around the 220k's mark

edit: just took out 1 spark plug and its black.. really black...

Edited by Docile

What is the correct way to dispose of coolant, if any?

make sure that no animals start drinking it tho, they love the taste of antifreeze

What is the correct way to dispose of coolant, if any?

put it back in a oil container / coolant container. and dispose of it free with the scheduled pickup of hazardous waste material.

Into your neighbors swimming pool.

Nah just tip it out to the road..

such an irresponsible way..

HAZMOBILE schedule

not that hard to drive to the closest scheduled pickup and let them dispose of it... better than it going to the sewage, into the sea and into your seafood... or dumping it on the rd. and pets / animals drink it.

Edited by Docile

Have collected it for recycling. Cheers.

Nah just tip it out to the road..

You were probably joking.. but if not, thats reallllyy bad! It goes straight into the rivers/lakes etc. Your better off tipping it down the toilet, at least that way it goes through some form of treatment station before it hits the environment.

Also for people that live near a marina, they usually have some sort of waste bin set up where everyone dumps their oil into huge containers.

They dont like it if some random that dosent have a boat there turns up and starts dumping their oil there.

It came out of the ground, it can go back in the ground.

If your going to do that...make sure it goes back in the ground at the same depth.... happy digging :P

Failing that...its irresponsible to put it in the ground

There are plenty of responsible and free ways to recycle waste oil. There's no excuse to pour it in the ground, road, drains, etc.

If you are not a member of the yacht club concerned and you start using marina oil dumps expect to be asked to pay or trespassed from the Marina. Berth holders pay for the service, and you're likely to get a very angry response if you're not a member and you are using their facilities. There are free Council/Ratepayer paid dumps all over the place including rural areas. Ring them and ask.

I left it all in the responsible hands of Glenn this morning. Thanks Glenn!

quick question:

need to replace the alternator on my m50 and was wondering can different types of alternator will work? ive got given one free from the same engine size and year but looks different from the one in my car.

original part no: 1 738 351, output: 14v 45 - 140A , made in great britain

replacement part no: 1 738 514, output: 14v 25/140A made in germany

ok, my aunt asked me to check her car. as she can't afford to pay a mechanic to check it.

she brought me her e36 m50 and told me that she noticed her exhaust is rather smoky.

i checked and at idle, even when the engine is warm the smoke is white and about 60cm long. it smelt like gas put my had against it but no moisture. have not tried to rev the engine and see if the smoke gets bigger or not.

she has not driven it for about 3 - 4 weeks.

checked radiator cap after cooling off a bit no oil in there and checked oil cap no chocolate either peeked inside the valve cover and cant see any chocolate either.. waited for it fully cool down and checked coolant level. its at normal.

head gasket? worn out spark plugs, o2? or a monster inside with a steel hammer?

ill try and do a compression test if i can find my tester

ok, replaced o2 sensor. reseted adaptation, new spark plugs, new oil, new air filter, temporarily on my 18s. took it up to waitakere ranges and let it rip blowing out all the carbon deposits and vaporized any condensation. now exhaust all sweet and dandy. no gas smell or smoke :D

Getrag box number 260010509

will this suit M20 or is it from a M30?

Seller reckons it's from an E28 525i, Which is M30 iirc?

^ It is a 260. Pretty sure manual M30 boxes are 265? Someone feel free to correct me

Thanks very much Michael. That is a very good resourse, I haven't come across that before only the other PDF that gives the specs for the things that can be cert'd (It didn't make clear whether or not you actually needed a cert).

I'll give a certifier a call and find out some details.

Cheers

Used to keep a copy of that in my glovebox in case I ever got pulled up before I did the mods that meant I NEEDED a cert.

Never needed it, but was peace of mind.

what is the difference between these M20 engines

25 6K 1

25 6E 1

25 6E 2

I know that the 25 represent's the engine capacity and the 6 means 6 cylinder, but the rest is a mystery.

EDIT -

have answered my own question

6K = 8.8 CR

6E = 9.75 CR

Edited by Jamez