E30stz

Quick Questions

n00b as question, but where can I go to get my E30 headlights aligned? I would rather not do it myself and risk making them worse.

Cheers

I know for a fact that Plimmerton Motors has one...

Instead of spamming the forum with new threads...I have a couple queries regarding my E30 and finishing off some little bits and bobs.

- Where is the windscreen wiper relay in a E30? /what would cause the wipers to not work on two of the settings?

- Is it advisable to torque up rear subframe mount nuts with a rattle gun? I am struggling to get mine as tight, with enough thread through the nut visable since swapping from original rubber to urethane rear mounts. Have used a strong arm bar but can't seem to get them as tight.

Will add to this as I iron out a couple last issues.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Instead of spamming the forum with new threads...I have a couple queries regarding my E30 and finishing off some little bits and bobs.

- Where is the windscreen wiper relay in a E30? /what would cause the wipers to not work on two of the settings?

- Is it advisable to torque up rear subframe mount nuts with a rattle gun? I am struggling to get mine as tight, with enough thread through the nut visable since swapping from original rubber to urethane rear mounts. Have used a strong arm bar but can't seem to get them as tight.

Will add to this as I iron out a couple last issues.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Wiper relay is the massive one in the fusebox. I'd like to know why mine works on only 1 speed too, I've already tried a spare relay and it did nothing.

TBH I don't really care, But it's a little problem so I wanna fix it since for once there is almost nothing wrong with my car :o

Edited by e30ftw

post-4315-1272524034.png

Could be helpful if you don't allready have one for fault finding!

Ok my turn then.

Is it possible to fix a faulty washer splitter thing (in the hose, splits left from right) Left washer works, right side of the splitter squirts out a hole onto my engine!

Also, would a leaking exhaust manifold be likely to cause the engine to hunt at idle when its warm? Between 950ish and 1300-1500ish revs, so pretty bad!

Cheers :D

Paul

Ok my turn then.

Is it possible to fix a faulty washer splitter thing (in the hose, splits left from right) Left washer works, right side of the splitter squirts out a hole onto my engine!

Also, would a leaking exhaust manifold be likely to cause the engine to hunt at idle when its warm? Between 950ish and 1300-1500ish revs, so pretty bad!

Paul

Question 1 - probably not... just buy a new washer nozzle

Question 2 - look for leaks in the air intake hoses etc first. Might not be visible to the naked eye.

Question 1 - probably not... just buy a new washer nozzle

Question 2 - look for leaks in the air intake hoses etc first. Might not be visible to the naked eye.

Oli and I have tried looking for leaks everywhere, even gave it a good spray with CRC (the only aerosol i had available) to try and make a leak show, but nothing... Its mostly just started since i fixed a massive vacuum leak (rocker cover breather had come off). I definitely do have a massive exhaust leak out the manifold though, so hopefully that is causing it and it'll all go away before monday....

My b23 didn't hunt at idle when my downpipe to exhaust wasn't sealed, also my b25 idled good with no exhaust, so my guess would be you need to look somewhere else Paul.

If you wan't to know if you have an intake air leak, get some ether (start ya bastard is mostly ether) and spray it around the intake area, if the revs rise you know you have a leak.

ICV?

Has anyone ever successfully repaired the manual sunroof winder handle so that it stays up and doesn't dangle from the roof?

can any light be shed on this ...?

My b23 didn't hunt at idle when my downpipe to exhaust wasn't sealed, also my b25 idled good with no exhaust, so my guess would be you need to look somewhere else Paul.

If you wan't to know if you have an intake air leak, get some ether (start ya bastard is mostly ether) and spray it around the intake area, if the revs rise you know you have a leak.

ICV?

Ok so a few people have mentioned maybe the ICV. My haynes manual only shows the location for the one on an M40 <_<

So where would i find it on a PFL L-Jetronic M20B20?

Ok so a few people have mentioned maybe the ICV. My haynes manual only shows the location for the one on an M40 <_<

So where would i find it on a PFL L-Jetronic M20B20?

Being an early motor, it could be the water thermostat type, in which case it is buried deep under the inlet manifold and it looks like this Posted Image

Or it could be the electric type, in which case it connects to the intake elbow, there are a few different variations on the elec type.

Edit - I should ad that I'm a dipshit so don't start pulling things to bits or making assumptions on my account! Call someone who is properly experienced first.

Edited by tastic

Being an early motor, it could be the water thermostat type, in which case it is buried deep under the inlet manifold and it looks like this Posted Image

Or it could be the electric type, in which case it connects to the intake elbow, there are a few different variations on the elec type.

Edit - I should ad that I'm a dipshit so don't start pulling things to bits or making assumptions on my account! Call someone who is properly experienced first.

Definitely the water (wax-valve?) type. Its a very early motor, complete with square fuse-box plug <_< .

Might have to have a look at that if the manifold swap doesnt help me...

Oh yip. Its not wax valve, its thermostat operated. Its got a coolant hose wot runs off the block, through the icv unit and back out the other side to the block. Also a air hose wot gathers air from in front of the throttle and another hose wot puts air round behind the throttle. When cold the two air hoses are joined by the unit as the valve inside is open. As the water going through heats up the thermostat inside the unit acts on a spring wot closes the valve and stops the air coming through.

If you suspect its at fault take it out and boil it and watch for smooth valve opening and closing action.

But I don't see how a faulty one could cause an erratic idle. I can see how it could cause a high or low idle... :S

its definatly an air leak somewhere, just pull off the intake elbow and go through and inspect all your hoses and joins, sometimes they can crack and you dont notice until youtake a good look, also try spraying that spray around where the manifold joins to the block, also check that injector you replaced isnot leaking as sometimes the orings dont get used again.

to continue the wiper issues. my wipers stick when on intermittent, they will move like 10cm accross the screen, stick for a second, move another 10cm and so on, if i put it onto second speed its all good.

anyone know why?

^^ wish id seen that BEFORE i had 24V in the way! i dont think that panel will be anle to come off now! (not that ive tried!) looks reletively straight forward though. might give it a crack anywho

to continue the wiper issues. my wipers stick when on intermittent, they will move like 10cm accross the screen, stick for a second, move another 10cm and so on, if i put it onto second speed its all good.

anyone know why?

Ended up being I had a earth come loose on the steering column and it seemed to fix it also cleaned the connection for the wiper relay in the fuse box and it works perfectly now. Try that Oli.

Edited by Hellpina

Ok my turn then.

Paul

Paul, do you mean that washer fluid is spraying out of a tiny hole in the white T shaped valve that splits the hose into left and right? If so just replace the valve. They are ~$20 from the dealer and have a limited life expectancy. Has happened to me twice.

Paul, do you mean that washer fluid is spraying out of a tiny hole in the white T shaped valve that splits the hose into left and right? If so just replace the valve. They are ~$20 from the dealer and have a limited life expectancy. Has happened to me twice.

Yup, thats exactly it!! Haha im not having much luck with all the little issues like that at the moment :lol:

Almost got the hunting to stop... i think...

As for the exhaust leak... still there, the manifold has one hex-nut in it grrrr (i dont have hex sockets, or hex-keys big enough haha). But its better now, tightened up the bolts and it seems to only leak around 6 and not 1 anymore :D

N00b question alert:

Are e36 four door and coupe exhaust the same? My first instinct is to say no..........

N00b question alert:

Are e36 four door and coupe exhaust the same? My first instinct is to say no..........

Yes.