E30stz

Quick Questions

Can anyone give me a link or tell me how i can see if a transmission will fit my car ie which number on the trans is what!? Chur

which part actually broke?

has the holder come completly away from the screen??

the glue came off so the whole thing was hanging just by the auto dimmer wire.

solved it though. went to BNT and they had a special rearview mirror adhesive.

Would the e30 fl 316i 5 speed manual gearbox fit on the 318i e30 fl engine? I want to do a conversion from auto to manual.

Thanks.

do both the engines look the same? if so they are both M40s and yes they will fit 100% compatable

do both the engines look the same? if so they are both M40s and yes they will fit 100% compatable

yes they are both m40s i just was making sure thanks Edited by e30 power

Anyone come across the p/n for the chrome strip that sits next to the interior window seal on the front doors of an e30 coupe?

The rear sections are part #1, but the front door sections dont seem to be listed, or are listed somewhere funky on realoem.

Posted Image

Hi There,

Does anyone know how to remove the lower sill trim on an e30, specifically a coupe?

I can slide it slightly forward and backward but not sure how it pops out.

Many Thanks.

carefully, and you will proably break it. i slide mine all the way forward, lift the back slide the opposite way, and repeat till its off. to put it back remove the clips and slide them into the plastic. any other way ive tried i seem to break them, they are realy weak

carefully, and you will proably break it. i slide mine all the way forward, lift the back slide the opposite way, and repeat till its off. to put it back remove the clips and slide them into the plastic. any other way ive tried i seem to break them, they are realy weak

Thanks! I will give it a go tomorrow :)

Hey there,

I have done a compression test on my m40b18 engine and 3 pistons came out 160psi and 1 at 90psi.

At first i thought it could be my rings are worn so I put some oil into the cylinder to act as the rings and did test again but still came out 90psi so would this mean burnt/worn valve?

Thanks

What is the easiest way to remove a strut top without an impact wrench?

In or out of the car ??

Out of car.

Can put them in if that's part of the trick

Get an old leather belt and put it around the top of the shock shaft. Use large polly's to hold it and undo the nut. I hope you've got spring compressors ?.... and large polly's

Edited by *Glenn*

Hey there,

I have done a compression test on my m40b18 engine and 3 pistons came out 160psi and 1 at 90psi.

At first i thought it could be my rings are worn so I put some oil into the cylinder to act as the rings and did test again but still came out 90psi so would this mean burnt/worn valve?

Thanks

When doing a compression test on any vehicle, whether it be a BMW or not, always loosen the spark plugs a couple of turns and restart the engine before removing the plugs. This will get rid of any carbon deposits that may get trapped under a valve and give you a false compression reading

Edited by *Glenn*

Good tip, learn something new everyday

Hi there,

Looking at doing a 2.7L conversion on a 320i. M20 - M20 and I'm curious about a few questions that have come to mind...

My first question: For engine conversions in E30's, at which point do you need to get certification?

Do you need to have certification for insurance purposes? or can you just tell them? etc. etc.

Hi there,

Looking at doing a 2.7L conversion on a 320i. M20 - M20 and I'm curious about a few questions that have come to mind...

My first question: For engine conversions in E30's, at which point do you need to get certification?

Do you need to have certification for insurance purposes? or can you just tell them? etc. etc.

You need certification for engine mods that produce more than a 25% inrease in power output. Insurance Companies dictate their own terms.. the cert will help though Andy

Edited by *Glenn*

are all red tails illegal ?

Only when you get caught.... you arent meant to alter any approved lense

1985 e28 535i m30b34, I believe, not the original engine.

So seems I did not dodge a bullet with my overheating. I have found coolant in the oil... the chocolate milkshake look on the cap and 50mm along the centre of the dip stick. Also a rather noticble amount of steam out of the exhaust, looks worse on a cold day. It is obviously losing coolant, will need to top it up today and thats after a couple weeks since it was full. I can see no oil in the coolant.

How can I test the engine to determine if it is a head gasket or a cracked head?

sounds like you got a blown headgasket but you could always try a tee-kay test.

How can I test the engine to determine if it is a head gasket or a cracked head?

Its either one or the other. You would need to remove the head and get it crack & hardness checked. The blocks are also known to crack as well

Its either one or the other. You would need to remove the head and get it crack & hardness checked. The blocks are also known to crack as well

Cheers Guys. I will need to sort out a temp car if i am to pull this engine apart.

Would I be correct in assuming I could possibly get a second hand engine for less hassle than repairing this one. I have a good running m30b25 haha could do a stealth degrade in power but also sound. The engine is so cool and even though it has the leak I do seem to have sorted the overheating, as in it takes alot longer to reach half and does not go close to 3/4 as before. I dont think it has been well looked after in the past. Shame....