E30stz

Quick Questions

On an S50B30, with the older metal cap on the oil filter housing. How does one remove the cap? Im used to the newer plastic cap which just screws off. Do i just undo the screw in the middle and the cap comes off?

On an S50B30, with the older metal cap on the oil filter housing. How does one remove the cap? Im used to the newer plastic cap which just screws off. Do i just undo the screw in the middle and the cap comes off?

yep

they use a weird filter too

Quick question. What could be the reason for my b20 engine to get hotter and hotter? The steady state temp has been slowly going up last 2 months and I'm now at the 75-80% range when idling in hot traffic.

Causes I can think of:

Water pump

Viscous clutch for the fan

Have had the radiator flushed when I got the cab 6 months ago, so I don't think its the heat exchanger itself.

I'm losing a tiny bit of water through the disintegrating rubber seals on my headgasket. Have lost about 2 fingerwidths of fluid below the coolant level line in about 3-4 months, I check and top up with demineralised water once a week though.

What else could it be? I'm hoping its the fan clutch as it seems to be an easier fix.

Thanks team

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My 2c worth on this is that you are losing coolant. That suggests you have a leak somewhere which will be de-presurising your cooling system. When the system is not presurized the coolant will boil at a lower temp and overheat. Are you re-bleeding the system when you top it up? Is there a boiling sound when you switch it off? Before i replaced any parts i would get a pressure testdone. If no obvious leaks under the hood i'd be checking the heater tap for a leak at the o-rings. Could also be that HG letting go.

do all of these cars also have sunroofs?

E30 was the only one that had a sunroof but all leak on the rear drivers door. Comes up over the inner seal by the sill.

Door Seals seem to be good, not torn and fit tight. The window seals seem good too and door drains seem clear.

Only does it when it's been pissing down and first time for the e46

Ive had similar but only where the strip along thr base of the window was buggered. And i mean really buggered

had to cut off one of the studs at the pipe end of my m42 exhaust manifold.

Where the sh*t do I get a replacement? No bolt shops have anything remotely close!

Edited by pldubs

Hello everyone

I have an e36 evo sedan with the optional 'alarm' ticked ..

S302A Alarmanlage

Today when I unlocked my car after work, a very high pitched and very loud constant beep came from the engine bay .. thought it was someone else, but it was my car!

I am not sure what sort of alarm this is?? and how it was activated? When I bought the car I got two keys (original BMW keys). Both keys have 3 buttons .. like this

key1.JPG

however one key is the same as above with the bottom right key (key pointing up) being a boot lid opener (which doesnt work?), and another key fob with the bottom right key being a half moon shape with lines coming out of it, think like a child drawing a sun, but only half of it.

I have a little red flashing led in front of my gear stick, in the middle next to the cigarette lighter thing. I had a bit of a look around the engine bay and couldnt find a siren but after some googling someone mentioned it is underneath the fuse box (which I can't see right now because its very dark).

Anyone have any ideas?

oh the other key looks like this, found some images

43534d1355837981-e36-alarm-identificatio

and the LED looks like this - ignore the two other thing on the side, they are blanks on my car, just the middle red thing

43536d1355770920-e36-alarm-identificatio

The bottom right is to turn the interior lights on. And just a factory alarm. Mines the same. Did you unlock it with the key in door or fob? Don't think it activates alarm with the key. May be wrong tho

I unlocked it with the fob .. never with the key. some googled sites say that if you have a blinking fob light, that you should replace the fob battery .. only thing is that some say that replacing the batteries etc reset all the programming in the fobs etc.

If you swap the battery in under a minute it holds it's info. If not it's easy enough to redo yourself

lucky I have two key fobs, I will do one and hope it keeps the memory and then do the other .. I also saw mention of if the alarm battery is old and tired, that it will not sound (this is the back up alarm battery in the car)? at the moment my lock/unlock does not produce any tones. just a click from the central locking.

Has anyone rebuilt the Vanos on an S50B30 engine? Ive done it on an M52, as it was OK but removing, refitting and doing the anti-rattle kit on the S50 seems much more complicated. Is it actually as hard as it looks to remove and refit the vanos unit and not have the timing on the piss?

Where do you live? Auckland? Call the Bolt Shop on the North Shore.

yes in Auckland .. what can the bolt shop do for me? do they have experience with BMW factory alarms and key fobs etc? Thanks mate

Has anyone rebuilt the Vanos on an S50B30 engine? Ive done it on an M52, as it was OK but removing, refitting and doing the anti-rattle kit on the S50 seems much more complicated. Is it actually as hard as it looks to remove and refit the vanos unit and not have the timing on the piss?

PM M3AN. He knows all about the trials of S50 Vanos rebuilds :)

ive read his thread, but i believe it was a dual vanos 3.2 he did, not the single vanos 3.0 i have

Anyone know if you can get aftermarket/performance valve stem seals for the bmw motors?

The bmw supplied ones seem to be inferior and fail prematurely on the N series motors.

If I'm gonna do valve seals, I dont wanna do them again in another 50k.

Anyone?

I need a new sunroof seal for a manual sunroof in a 1987 e30 325i. There seem to be 2 options of what to get and im not too sure which one to go with even after looking throughgoogle... 1) get a one piece seal or 2) get the two piece, front and rear. Thanks for any help from anyone! :-)

Ive gt the same problem.. my painter sprayed over the rubber now it doesnt seal like before.

Mine has 2 rubber seals. Front and rear.

Where can i buy it from?

The two keys i have for my 94 E36 M3 look like this (example photo),

DSC00839.jpg

Do i have EWS chips, and is this the normal "master key"? They look a lot different to my past BMWs which had a bigger key with a torch in it.

Edited by KwS

DSC00839.jpg

Do i have EWS chips, and is this the normal "master key"? They look a lot different to my past BMWs which had a bigger key with a torch in it.

Probably not. Same style key as my 94 325, no transponder. Not 100% sure but I think the EWS cars were all equipped with remote central locking. The key I got with the car did have a dinky little LED torch (which never worked) but a quick lookup on webetk confirmed no pesky chips

DSC00839.jpg

If you have ews there will be a black plastic ring around the ignition switch, if not it is just a metal switch and a small rubber ring around that. The black plastic ring has the wires in it that send and receive the ews signal from the key.

those are non-ews keys, like all E30 E34 etc have

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

switch on gearbox?

this.

fairly common issue

How to check? Where is it?

on the gear box. you will need to get under car. remove plug, short with a piece of wire, key on ON position but not started, and see if backup lights come on, may need a mirror or the wife to help etc

• Like 1