E30stz

Quick Questions

On the topic of O2 sensors... my 1987 325i (pfl) doesn't seem to have one at all. Does that sound normal or did they all have them from factory? Thanks

VANOS Seal reaplacement - On a single Vanos M52, I have the new seals. I don't really get what the Besian Systems write up wants me to do with 2 seals - It says insert the o-ring into the piston groove, then it says insert the Teflon seal into the groove. They don't look like they will go ontop of eachother or are they supposed to??

Help I'm half way through haha

On the topic of O2 sensors... my 1987 325i (pfl) doesn't seem to have one at all. Does that sound normal or did they all have them from factory? Thanks

only jap ones will have them , and not needed anyway

VANOS Seal reaplacement - On a single Vanos M52, I have the new seals. I don't really get what the Besian Systems write up wants me to do with 2 seals - It says insert the o-ring into the piston groove, then it says insert the Teflon seal into the groove. They don't look like they will go ontop of eachother or are they supposed to??

Help I'm half way through haha

They did on our M54 - O ring inside, teflon over the top - it may need a stretch slightly.

The pistons fell out because the orings were so hard, then the newly sealed ones were failry tight to get in, and move.

The O ring will flatten out a fair bit, into the square groove (shouldn't go hard, like the shitty genuine ones though!)

Yep - No emmisions gear on Dads NZ New 90' 325i SE - no O2 sensor, not even a charcoal cannister, not cats nothing!

They did on our M54 - O ring inside, teflon over the top - it may need a stretch slightly.

The pistons fell out because the orings were so hard, then the newly sealed ones were failry tight to get in, and move.

The O ring will flatten out a fair bit, into the square groove (shouldn't go hard, like the shitty genuine ones though!)

Sorted it, I had only cut and removed the teflon outer ring on the old one, didn't notice the o'ring underneath it. Mine too slid right out, nice and tight now can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow :D

Sorted it, I had only cut and removed the teflon outer ring on the old one, didn't notice the o'ring underneath it. Mine too slid right out, nice and tight now can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow :D

GOOD!

The old O ring would have been so flat and hard that it would have looked like part of the piston, right?

GOOD!

The old O ring would have been so flat and hard that it would have looked like part of the piston, right?

Yep it did. Sure got me..

I've replaced everything now and went for a drive but it seems real hesitant now. Wasn't the improvement I was hoping for :(

Hmm true, wasn't aware it needed some bedding in. I replaced a whole bunch though, Coolant temp sensor, Intake air temp sensor, Cam position sensor, VANOS seals, Oil / Coolant change and cleaned out the ICV.

It's idling better but seems quite sluggish. Knowing me I probably missed something somewhere..

My adjustable suspension for the E30 arrived today and I tested the rears and the car still wont sit low. Even without the collars in with the springs the car still sits too high, there has been a fair bit of weight removed from the back but surely there's a way to get the tire to tuck in the guard. Has anyone had any success with a certain spring?

What brand did you get? And can you use the shock to compress the spring, making it lower and harder ?

Edited by euroriffic

I got XYZs but because ive done the five stud swap in using a set designed for a compact e36 which is more than likely my issue

Replaced the front left hub on an e46 last night - left the strut on the car. When installing the new one I did a check measure of the strut stub sticking out the bottom. hard up It was 53mm on the pass side but 58mm on the drivers side. Is this normal? maybe pre-camber for sloping road?

Hey guys, how big is the single Vanos ring? I bought one from Beisan and when it arrived it looked a little bit big to me, id say the circumference is about a golf ball (maybe a little bigger) don't wanna pull it too bits and discover it's wrong haha

Hey,

What viscosity is good for an E36 M3 3.0? Internet says everything, and the owners handbook is vague. Its running Motul 300V 15W50 which i think is FAR too thick (vanos rattles when warm).

My old BMWs (all M52B25) LOVED Valvoline Synpower 5W40, would this be OK?

Also running 10/60 castrol edge as recommended. Or go see BMW and get the stuff they use

Nothing definitive anywhere, there is recommendation from 0W* all the way up to 15W*.

My vanos is silent when cold, but the higher the oil temp, the noisier it gets. Its not major, but it is noticeable. Probably needs some new seals after the 205,000km its done. Oil was changed 1000KM or so ago. Also, The chain tensioner is spring, not hydraulic, isnt it?

Ive used Edge in previous cars, with no ill effects, but i noted an improvement in running/noise when changing all three of my M52 powered BMWs to the Synpower. Never had a proper ///M engine before though.

As a general rule of thumb, with all my previous cars, the higher the performance the thinner the oil used.

TOO MANY OPTIONS!

This^ high performance engines often use thinner oil but the viscosity isnt nearly as important as shear strength, thermal stability amd zinc content just to name a few

Im aware of this, it was a generalization from my previous 40 cars.

Couple of issues: 1. Weird electrical issues when ign set to on. Rev counter goes nuts even though engine not running, headlight adjusters cycling through each setting and injectors pulsing. I'm thinking faulty ign switch, but have no other symptoms. Thoughts?

2. Tried to start car before and it backfired in manifold and blew the cap for the ccv valve off. So need to replace ccv valve now. Could this be caused by issue 1? Im thinking excess fuel caused by injectors pulsing etc causing backfire?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Fix first issue. It may cure the second.

Also.helps to know what sort of car you have