Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

World Cup

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Awesome result. Havent been this excited at 4 a.m in a while. Truly GG

Nice work by the boys, im so happy for them

those Italians sure can act

hahaha so true, Better acting than shortland street, Never really watched much soccer but this morning i was like wtf, ouch he tapped me best i fall on the ground and writhe in agony, pretty funny to watch.

Edited by M-Spec

My sly hundy to make the finals is looking good, at 30/1 odds...now to beat the Paraguyans or hold them to a draw...woop woop

My sly hundy to make the finals is looking good, at 30/1 odds...now to beat the Paraguyans or hold them to a draw...woop woop

If we draw we are going to need the Slovakians to beat Italy for us to go through I think

What I can't stand is the media treat it like a Win. Similar to this.

OMG NZ is not getting thrashed! I better jump on that bandwagon and cheer for them. Well at least until they get thrashed.

Posted Image

OMG NZ is not getting thrashed! I better jump on that bandwagon and cheer for them. Well at least until they get thrashed.

I understand it entirely. NZ are very much the outcasts in the World Cup, along with N. Korea, and we are actually doing quite well and surprising a lot of people. We aren't treating it as a win, we are just celebrating doing pretty damn well against teams ranked way way above us on the FIFA World Rankings. What isn't there to celebrate about?

Maybe some people have jumped on the band wagon but I've always taken notice of the All Whites when we have managed to make it into the Confederations Cup and simular.

The All Whites are proving themselves well, good on them, and deserve the good attention.

The supporters who have been there from Day 1 should be proud. But my god is there a ton of bandwagoners. Even the bloody radio show hosts who did nothing but bag them have turned heal.

I admit. The only sports involving balls I really enjoy are sports where it requires large balls to get around a corner faster. But even I am wondering how far they can go now. So many upsets and such a lack of goals.

was a good match... i have a sneaky feeling every team is going to want the goaly for premiership league and so on soon. the team has played well but i think the goaly stands out as being awsome.

a win against paraguy should be fairly achievable.

Congratz to the All Whites for putting up a great fight, winning a draw against a team that wrote us off is a win for me. Shame on the Italians.

a win against paraguy should be fairly achievable.

I think Paraguay is going to be the hardest game of them all as they have been playing good football and are unlucky not to have 6 points.

^yes that is true, although paraguay (spelling?) are not ranked as high as italy etc and all whites have grown in confidence after their 2 games.

it may be the hardest game yet but i think nz are capable of pulling it off...

For New Zealand to draw against a team 70 places ahead of them in ranking(and current World Cup champs) it is as good as a win!!!

We as NZers tend to be bandwagon jumpers, when a team is doing well we support them and when not so well we don't (All blacks-Kiwis-Black caps exception) and only have to look at Basketball world champs in 03 the Warriors etc etc

TBH i never really liked watching non "TOP" football games and only over the past few years have started to appreciate NZ football...But again, so what if i'm jumping on the bandwagon?!?!

jumping on the bandwangon like it was the 2002 Grand Finals for the Warriors. But this does give NZ football a very healthy boost of publicity. Wonder how long this will last for.

jumping on the bandwangon like it was the 2002 Grand Finals for the Warriors. But this does give NZ football a very healthy boost of publicity. Wonder how long this will last for.

I reckon it will last until about Friday morning... no offence but realistically the All Whites need to win, not just get a draw, to go through to the next round. The all the bandwagoners (good word!) will be looking for the next thing to get onto, some will stay around for a while and yes it is great for the game in NZ, it had generated more publicity and interest than most would have expected which can only help stimulate the whole game.

As for people jumping on the bandwagon, I used to watch England home and away in the late 80s, early 90s, when you told people you were a football fan, you may as well have said you had leprosy and tortured small fluffy animals at the same time for the reactions you got. Now it's oh-so-cool to be a football fan, even though the game has been ruined by money and the atmosphere changed with big screens, cheer leaders and piped music, with the average Joe priced out of most events. Shame.

I agree about the bandwagon point.

But all of this exposure on the international stage can only be a good thing for soccer in NZ

Considering where England are, I can understand your cynicism Jon, must be hurting.

Growing up, I also was a round ball player, and used to get hell from my mates in those days for playing soccer. I played for 45 years for the same club, only retiring when I started the E30 racing game 4 years ago, the body was saying enough.

When growing up I used to watch Match of the day every week, and always supported England, I mean, NZ was never going anywhere then.

So, give them a chance Jon, and celebrate where your adopted country has got to, you might even enjoy being on the bandwagon?

Edited by Silver Fox

I'd put money on NZ beating Paraguay.

They are going from strength to strength as a team and that's what wins games, if they manage to pull it off their momentum could take them even further in the play offs. It's time we took them seriously as they are holding their own bloody well and they have one of the best defences in the tournament.

The beautiful thing about football is that anything can happen, all it takes is 1 goal.

I'd put money on NZ beating Paraguay.

They are going from strength to strength as a team and that's what wins games, if they manage to pull it off their momentum could take them even further in the play offs. It's time we took them seriously as they are holding their own bloody well and they have one of the best defences in the tournament.

The beautiful thing about football is that anything can happen, all it takes is 1 goal.

Make no mistake, the match vs Paraguay is going to be the toughest challenge we have had yet..

Make no mistake, the match vs Paraguay is going to be the toughest challenge we have had yet..

Sure is. Everyone reckons we will win all of a sudden now that be drew with Italy but remember that Paraguay came from a tough qualifing group and will run at the All Whites better than the Italians.