Sign in to follow this  
fuzyfrog

Gran Turismo 5

On topic of PS3's can those who have one tell me what it can/cant do? Anything that really bugs you about them? Anything that you love about them? Ive been looking for an "all in one" type multi media device for some time. From what ive seen they can do everything but record from tv and what Simon wishes it could do for him or should I say do to him lol

Sell me :D

Personally i don't find it that great at all, i only bought it for GT!

Have already had issues with the Bluray drive and find the interface annoying, on the plus side bluray HD is good and free online gaming (though average compared too Xbox Live)

If you get the older model PS3s (before the slim came out) and you haven't updated the firmware, you can actually use the PS3 as a decent spec PC, with linux on it. This is good for being a media centre, and you can run emulators and apps on. It's quite nerdy, which I think is fun.

If that isn't your bag, a normal PS3 can be used as a media centre also. It's not quite as good as say, XBMC, but it's adequate. You can plug a FAT32 formatted HDD into the front USB, and just stream from there. Pretty cool I think.

I'll be picking one up soon

Edited by Top Secret

I find it great for most things as it does everything (Blu ray over hdmi, HDD for media, and plays games). but if you already have a blu-ray or don't need one, and aren't into games, then it's not as good as a dedicated media centre - clunkier interface and inability to read NTFS formatted disks being my only real gripes.

Oh and the fact that the remote is an extra cost. Media centres usually come with a remote and using the PS3 controller is fine, but once you've tried a remote you'll want one.

I love mine, but if I hadn't let the gf con me into thinking we needed a blu-ray palyer, then I wouldn't have got one. Her secret motive was gaming - I don't really have time for it (although I've been secretly playing NFS undercover when she's not around).

Someone who played the game at the Playstation Day.

Sounds something similar to what I said a while back.

Attended Playstation day last night thanks to GP. Beer, Pizza, Ice cream and games

GT5.. was great but found it a little too "polished", everything looked way too shiny and clean even when the car was damaged. Coming November hopefully

LBP2.. awesome and a lot of fun!

PS Move.. the hardware itself was great and solid but the current games all felt like imitations of the wii version, I'd wait until some good games come out to be honest

Killzone 3.. if you liked the previous two you'll love this one

Resident evil 5.. havn't played this before but looked interesting, played it with ps move and takes a little to get used to but good fun

And did anyone else see the Combi van in that vid? lol.

Edited by driftit

Just pre ordered the Collectors Edition from Mighty Ape and though it would be a good time to see who else here will be getting the game.

Also would be good to share PSN usernames so we can have some Bimmersport GT5 races.

Collectors Edition

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PS3/Gra...dition/8047983/

Standard Edition

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PS3/Gra...ismo-5/3169183/

GT5 Screenshot to give thread some visual flair.

Posted Image

I've paid a deposit on GT5 at JB Hifi - and it's why I bought a PS3

Someone who played the game at the Playstation Day.

Sounds something similar to what I said a while back.

It does look a bit plasticy...though i wouldn't take much from the pre-release vids and snaps as i remember 4 and prologue looking similar before the release!

On topic of PS3's can those who have one tell me what it can/cant do? Anything that really bugs you about them? Anything that you love about them? Ive been looking for an "all in one" type multi media device for some time. From what ive seen they can do everything but record from tv and what Simon wishes it could do for him or should I say do to him lol

Sell me :D

I got the original PS3 and it has performed flawlessly. Love the Blue-ray player. TV on demand from TVNZ. Music videos. Games of course. Sync media to your PC. WiFi. Quiet.

I hope it has full compatibility with that logitech g27 i bought so many months ago for 'the release' it and havent even used yet.

Edited by andrewm

Looking at the car list, a few newish bimmers, lotsa old Nissans/toyotas (pre 80's skylines etc), and some italian super cars.

No E30 M3 :(

But there is an A110 Alpine :D

Edited by Jacko

They haven't even shown half the cars.

Ive got my fingers crossed there will be some more old BMW's

M635CSI around Nurb in the rain :D

No E30 M3. sh*t they better. The M3 in Forza 3 was my fav. ITB's and intake and OMG sex sound.

Looks pretty impressive. What's it gonna be comapred to R Factor and the like? I've never had a computer decent enough to run RFactor, but have played it a few times at a friends and was really impressed by the physics.

rFactor is a true sim. GT5 is an Arcade sim imo. Graphics on GT5 are FAR superior. But settings for cars are very limited compaired to what you can do to the race cars in rFactor.

rFactor is pretty old now. New engine is being developed.

They haven't even shown half the cars.

Ive got my fingers crossed there will be some more old BMW's

M635CSI around Nurb in the rain :D

That will be mean, best track to use in 2 player to decimate friends :lol:

But its gran turismo so it will be more like choose between 230 1991 Honda Civics’ or 468 Nissan Skylines and we will exaggerate their abilities to enable a new generation of JDM homo’s.

I hope not because they missed a LOT of good cars last time around.

Now the question is Forza 3 or GT 5?

I've got bored with Forza 3, main reason being is that most of the tracks are the same as in FM2. So might be tempted to swap my Xbox for PS3.

Haha there will be no comparison, to compare would be a joke, Forza is already out of date.

GT5 will potentially provide years of game play, with the ability to download new cars this game potentially should keep car nuts entertained until the next version.

Fully justified.

True, but on the other hand Forza 4 might be coming out next year so... The only issue I have with Forza 3 as I mentioned is the repetition of most tracks, so it just kinda feels like playing FM2 again.

But Forza 4 won’t be as good, nor will Forza 5.

GT5 is taking so long to create for good reason, it will be well future proofed.