Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

New leather colour

And a MINI is a...........? :P

I know, I know... Owned by and built by, but they don't put the same badge on it for good reason!

Grey is very practical but if you lived in Ponsonby you'd be a bit sick of grey. Every other car is a bloody grey Audi with zero personality... And they all paint they're frickin' houses white or grey to match too. Dull. Life needs a bit less practicality and a bit more colour and fun if you ask me!

true.Black is my first choice,but grey is a LITTLE bit more practical

I know, I know... Owned by and built by, but they don't put the same badge on it for good reason!

Yeah, i wouldn't want to put my name on those BINI things either.

I'm a lover of the.......was going to say 'original' but there is only one "real" Mini, the one built from 1959 to 2000.

Looking at a whole range of options from recolouring to reupholstering. So far best deals have been from Newton Road Auto Interiors on Newton Road for new leather and Fibernew for recolour. Haven't decided which I'm going to opt for. Recolour is significantly cheaper (about half the price) but I've had conflicting opinions about recolouring black leather - some say it's impossible, while others say it's no problem.

When/if I get it done I'll post full results. Might do some of the work myself too, if I recolour, so will take plenty of pics.

These guys are very good!

http://www.rve.co.nz/trimming.html

And imo cinnamon is better.

Edited by André3000

Managed to get hold of a Cinnamon swatch today so I can accurately colour match the dye... It's a bit darker and a bit less orange/more brown than I thought, but will still look the business.

What sort of price is it for the dying? Am loving the cinnamon. I've got a yellowy tan colour in my sedan so would be easy to change

What sort of price is it for the dying? Am loving the cinnamon. I've got a yellowy tan colour in my sedan so would be easy to change

Depends how far you go with it. I think just seats would be about $5-600. Add another $400 for door cards, etc.

Or you can do it yourself so for the cost of some dye (you can buy genuine BMW leather dyes online from o/s) and a shed load of hard work. It's all in the preparation apparently - i.e. sanding back the original leather to remove any coating, repainting (spray for the larger areas, foam applicator for seams, etc) and re-finishing with a sealant.

I'm still toying with the idea of doing it myself but that might mean having it half finished for a very long time!

Oyes, all my carpet and mats are the same colour as the seats so would need to do all of that or get a replacement in black.

Might have to watch afew vids and get schooled up on the process. Would suck to not get it right and ruin it or have to redo again <_<

You should have mentioned that earlier.....

Posted Image

You could change your user name to Jeffbeebee

If you want to have some fun letting your bad taste run wild, download the free Rolls-Royce Phantom configurator on the App Store - some many different choices of leather, veneer, exterior etc!

Oyes, all my carpet and mats are the same colour as the seats so would need to do all of that or get a replacement in black.

Might have to watch afew vids and get schooled up on the process. Would suck to not get it right and ruin it or have to redo again <_<

i had the 120 redone in leather.The interior is a couple of of shades of grey,with dark blue -maybe charcoal mats.The original seats and handrests were a sorta checked fabric,but were very badly worn/faded.I got the seats headrests and handrests redone in a blue-grey leather,worked well.Dont have to work to the same pallette as exiting,The auto trimmers themselves have good experience here.I was originally going to go for a grey leather but the trimmer guy(who at first agreed) said it would have been yet another shade of grey...too much

Has a final decision been made yet? Very interested to see the results!

Yep, going for cinnamon. Have managed to source a leather swatch to match the recolouring. Still trying to get hold of a few bits and pieces (mats with leather trim, etc).

So what I'm going to do is this:

Recolour seats, door cards, handbrake boot and gear stick gaiter plus the floor mat trim. Then, when cashflow allows, get the steering wheel recovered in two tone black/cinnamon.

Will probably be Xmas when I can afford to get it all finished plus afford to not use my car for a week or two!

Mechanical repairs are going to put this project on hold. Bummer.

here ya go

just buy this one

It's on my watchlist! If I happen to win lotto this weekend I'll be all over that M5 like a rash.

Interior will be for sale if it turns up at Hellbm.

Interior will be for sale if it turns up at Hellbm.

PM if it does!! First refusal please, Ray!

anyone spot that weird rear configuration? was that a CD player in the rear armrest? oversized air vents and cup holders?

WTF?

anyone spot that weird rear configuration? was that a CD player in the rear armrest? oversized air vents and cup holders?

WTF?

Yeah, I noticed that. I've seen something similar on and M5 in the UK. Also had headrest monitors. Not sure if it's aftermarket or an Individual option on some overseas models.

that radio feature was around in e32 and e34 models from way back too.

maybe even in a e23??

that radio feature was around in e32 and e34 models from way back too.

maybe even in a e23??

fridges too!