Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

I don't get it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/bmw/10614289/BMW-reveals-4-series-Gran-Coupe.html

Create the new 4 series to define the coupe from four door 3 series... Then make a 4-door gran coupe 4 series.... At least the 6 series looks really different to the 5ers. This just looks like a 3 series sedan to me.

Marketing.... Pah!

You have to wonder huh. When even all your die hard fans are questioning wtf you are doing with all the models and their classifications.

I prefer stupid names over ugly designs.

As long as they are pretty mr BMW call 'em whatever you like.

• Like 1

I think they're getting a bit carried away by adding all these extra model lines in. Chances are for NZ anyway, the 4 won't be a hit. Say in the last 10 years, they've added so much to the range.

I'm sure the 4 coupe will be popular (god knows there are enough E46 and E9x) coupes here but presumably the 4 gran coupe and the standard 3 sedan will just split the existing market for mid-size four door sport sedans, rather than creating a whole new market.

They lost me after e46,

Everything newer I have no idea and they all look the same. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Damn, I was going to buy a 4 series coupe soon, now I am spoilt for choice with a 4 door variant... but then the 3 series 4 door variant is also an option, and so is the 5 series sedan, or maybe even the X3 could be worth a look for that extra off road clearance even though I'll never be taking it out of Auckland. Suggestions??

Damn, I was going to buy a 4 series coupe soon, now I am spoilt for choice with a 4 door variant... but then the 3 series 4 door variant is also an option, and so is the 5 series sedan, or maybe even the X3 could be worth a look for that extra off road clearance even though I'll never be taking it out of Auckland. Suggestions??

X5 so you never have to give way again.

• Like 1

It struck me as a four door version of a two door car that had been adapted from a 4 door model...

The more things change, the more they stay the same!

• Like 1

White X3 Motorsport 3.0d - Pop in to BMW on your way home.

Keepin' up with the Benzes, I say.

Hmm, not really when you look at the sales results and see who is number 1!

Having spent lots of billions of Euro on R&D over the last few years, there is a need to increase sales and production volumes to get pay back on the investments made.

When you are a Premium "niche" manufacturer, the way to increase sales is to make more "niches" in the market rather than try and become a mass-manufacturer and depreciate the brand image.

There is obviously a HUGE difference between the 4GC and a 3-Series sedan, for a start it's a hatch-back and not a sedan!!post-2707-0-64829800-1391478657.jpg

post-2707-0-54768400-1391478676.jpg

post-2707-0-43578000-1391478698.jpg

post-2707-0-90945500-1391478719.jpg

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

yawn

(just another die hard enthusiest thats lost touch with the brand)

• Like 1

so effectively the three will have :-

sedan, coupe, wagon, convertible, fastback,

now all we need is an Allroad fighter.

Hmm, not really when you look at the sales results and see who is number 1!

Having spent lots of billions of Euro on R&D over the last few years, there is a need to increase sales and production volumes to get pay back on the investments made.

When you are a Premium "niche" manufacturer, the way to increase sales is to make more "niches" in the market rather than try and become a mass-manufacturer and depreciate the brand image.

There is obviously a HUGE difference between the 4GC and a 3-Series sedan, for a start it's a hatch-back and not a sedan!!

Fair point... And globally it'll no doubt be a huge success but can't help thinking that it will cannibalise the 3er market in NZ, just like the A5 did to the A4 in NZ. You don't see many new A4 sedans around now but every 10th car's an A5. Presumably there's a 4-door A5 that the gran coupe 4er is competing with?