Herbmiester

19 inch tyres cost a lot more than 17's and 18's

The title of this post is pretty obvious but it was a bit of shock to me how much more expensive they are. Actually the biggest surprise was that decent mid range tyres like Bridgestone RE003's just aren't available in some of the bigger sizes and even the better bridgestones just aren't available at at all. (I like bridestones when they have the buy one get one half price deals). Any thoughts one  245/35/19 and 265/30/19 tyres? 

Yep either rubbish or small mortgage territory expect to pay north of $2600 and as much as $4G's  the X5 went through $3900 worth of Pirellis in 8 months

11 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Yep either rubbish or small mortgage territory expect to pay north of $2600 and as much as $4G's  the X5 went through $3900 worth of Pirellis in 8 months

wow,

No wonder bmw owners have such a bad name, there is so much wrong with this post I just don't know where to start

• Like 1

Even 18s in 235 & 265 can be $2000 plus. Issue seems to be a small market. My last couple of sets have been via tirerack as couldn't  get re11 or pss locally in that size. Btw Bridgestone are export controlled meaning if NZ doesn't stock you choice of tyre or size you are forced to other brands. I tried importing re71r earlier this year. Went to PSS in the end at $2.2k. 

• Like 1

Choice has always been rather limited in decent tyres and becoming more so as the market is flooded with low quality products . The irony is many of the low quality ones are not much cheaper than decent tyres in the more common sizes.

Some of it will be down to the better brands wanting to have market share and trimming margins.

Just fitted a set of Michelin  Primacy 3 ST 225/45/17 94W's to the invalid cart for under  $900 - transformed the car in the wet and dry.

Tyres that came off were near new Neuton NT5000's they had  as much stick in the wet as a turd on ice, but hey they were $27.00 a tyre less than the Michelins.   

2 hours ago, kwhelan said:

wow,

No wonder bmw owners have such a bad name, there is so much wrong with this post I just don't know where to start

True:  a small mortgage in Auckland is half a mil  

So at present I have prices on BS S001's, pretty decent tyre from what I can gather at set would be $1500 but the 265's are not in country so will find out Monday if that's a go. Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2/3 about 2k. Michelin Pilot Super Sport, about $2900. Nitto Invos, 2k. 

Just read some reviews on the new Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3 but looks like its not available in 265/30/19 but may be available in 255/35/19

Edited by Herbmiester

Only two "real" choices in there John, either the Bridgestone or the Michelin

F1 asymmetric are not that great  and I have Nittos on one of my other cars, they don't stick in the wet.

Not that keen on Nittos, the new Asymmetric 3 gets a good review and the Michellins are just too much so we will see what happens with the S001's. 

last time I drove on the Asymmetric 3's they felt like wooden wagon wheels - go for the S001's  they are a decent tyre.  

Shop around and you can find some better deals, try Mag and Tyre. Had Eagle F1s at $300 each when I needed them last year (19s on my 335i), other places charged $500-$600 at the time. 

Edited by Matth5

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Even 18s in 235 & 265 can be $2000 plus. Issue seems to be a small market. My last couple of sets have been via tirerack as couldn't  get re11 or pss locally in that size. Btw Bridgestone are export controlled meaning if NZ doesn't stock you choice of tyre or size you are forced to other brands. I tried importing re71r earlier this year. Went to PSS in the end at $2.2k. 

Neal, if you were to get free freight within USA from your supplier (eg TireRack), ship to your box address at www.myus.com and then trans-ship to NZ you should be fine.

• Like 1

You can also use the Mainfreight depot as the delivery address. (deleted comment as zip code on Tire rack now optional)

I'm not in favour of an open international market BUT if the local provider is not prepared to invest/ support a particular iteration of a brand / product then they should not be actively blocking international sourcing.

Edited by 3pedals

Check out Hankook S1 EVO 2 or V12s.

Always well rated.

18" RE003's were 1100 fitted for my E55 during the last 4 for 3 sale.

Give your local BMW dealer a ring, most of the odd-ball sizes are kept in stock in the part warehouse, in the factory optioned brands - Bridgestone, PSS, Contis, etc. Lots of 19" rims as standard on NZ cars nowadays.

Not sure about pricing and how competitive they are though, might be worth a shot if you are stuggling to source what you need.

• Like 1

yep, ^^ when I was investigating RFT 18" recently, JGBMW were competitive and had tyres in stock!

Edited by Olaf

^ More empirical evidence that the Goodyears are a great tyre.

Trust the experts, not the forum junkies.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

post removed - poor reading on my part

Edited by 3pedals
errror

You never disappoint me.

How is a range from 116-210 price banding?

And surely biggest bang for buck is just another expression for best value?

True, I only skim read it  - P.S curious mix though pilot supersport and K117 in same test ?

Edited by 3pedals

Biggest bang tends to focus on one or two aspects  where as value looks at the whole package.

i.e this WRX has more power than a Mitsi Evo

Review a bit suspect . Rates the 105v high in many areas. Got a rear set in the garage on a spare set of rims. Very easy to spin up . The m3 will do this if you down shift to 2nd and change up to 3rd which caught me by surprise.  Haven't had this with any other tyres let alone PSS.

• Like 1

Clearly the focus has a far better chassis than the M3? coz they unleashed all that raw power when they disabled the traction control .

It is one reason I prefer the tire rack tests - they use BMW cars quite often so it is more likely to emulate the behaviour we will encounter.