qube

Eurotrip 2019

Will be heading over to amsterdam and nearby areas later on this year between 27.09 - 13.10.

Only thing decided is the return flight from Stockholm Sweden. I havent decided where I will fly to yet, maybe Brussels, Berlin, Paris, etc. lots of options. (waiting for good deals to pop up for tickets)

Any recommendations on places to go/visit?

Only requirement from the trip is need to spend 5 days in Amsterdam, otherwise totally free to travel anywhere around.

Oktoberfest is on during that time so thats a good enough reason to visit Munich otherwise it is a beautiful city. If you are planning to go the BMW museum, there are no signs but it is closed on Mondays

Paris is superb, Brussels is nice but... essentially not exciting.  Depends what you want to do!

As Gaz mentions above, a visit to BMW in Munich would be brilliant.  Plug here:  BMW Car Club NZ members can get access to areas and tours at BMW that are not open to the public... needs to be organised in advance.  Who'dve thought that $95 membership fee gains so much! 😊

• Like 1

Other good spots are the south of France (Avignon), Rome and Stockholm. It all depends what you like and are into. I tried to spend at least 3 days in each city but you are still not going to see everything

• Like 1

Having lived in Amsterdam for 6 years I might have something to offer about the city (and country) if you have any questions. I can assure you that you'll be able to fill up 5 days pretty easily.

Berlin, Brussels, Paris... they're all train trips, forget looking/waiting for good airfares. And no airports, bonus. Also trains tend to drop you off in the centre of the city, very much unlike airports. It's also easier to carry your awesome Jack Herer or Kush with you on a train...

You can skip Brussels, well Belgium altogether actually, it's hardly a destination. Berlin and Paris (opposite directions and opposite experiences) are both "must dos" in my book, especially if you've never been before. 

Stockholm is awesome, the food and nightlife is stunning... but it's hella expensive, keep that in mind.

It's easy to get down to Italy also and it's worth doing Rome if you can, getting there via Munich is an option because as Gareth says that's worth a visit for the Deutsches Museum alone. Although a day trip out to Neuschwanstein is a pretty cool experience. I don't rate Oktoberfest for any length of time for anyone over about 30 but if you're around it's worth a visit for an afternoon/evening.

Ahh Europe, so much to see and do.

Don't forget to consider Croatia also - one of the best places I've ever visited.

Edited by M3AN

Thanks for the inputs so far and keep em coming.

The few flights that I have found are from Auckland to either: amsterdam, paris, berlin, brussels, and more and they are all similarily priced. 

So once I decide where to start the journey i will fly there, then take trains for the close places otherwise consider flying if its further.

interesting view about belgium, i thought it would have been more interesting but maybe not. It was considered because its so close to netherlands but i dont have any reason to insist on it. I think Paris is probably a good starting point otherwise berlin but apparently the flight to berlin is operated by scoot (the euro jetstar?) not sure about that..

So much to see and do in Paris.  Villa Savoye if you’re into La Courbousier; the Picasso museum, Musee d’Orsay, and of course the charming fromageries and delecatessens one finds everywhere (though the Ile St Louis seemed to have great representation)... great subway transport, and of course connections to SNCF Rail.  Just waking around and checking out the architecture used to keep me entertained.  At least you’re not going in Feb; it’s as cold as NYC at that time of year.

I always found Parisienne's very helpful. I attribute this to trying to speak French, usually receiving an enthusiastic response that was well beyond my mediocre grasp; politely explaining. (In simple Spanish) that I’m not a monolingual tourist from the EU but a visitor from Nouvelle Zealande... at which point exclamations triggered “ahhh, les All Blacks!”, happiness, and English flowed. Finishing off with a French thanks and farewell seemed to make an impression too. 

• Like 1

If you like cars and (car) manufacturing do the factory tours for Porsche (Zuffenhausen), Mercedes (Sindelfingen) - both in the Stuttgart area and BMW in Munich.  They all need to be booked in advance though and get filled up rather quickly.   The relevant museums are also quite amazing but they don't need to be booked in advance (their entrance fees are cheap).

• Like 1

Bmw factory tour of the Dingolfing plant. Where they make 5,6,7 and i believe new 8 series.

if doing Germany The Nordschleife is a must. 

I guess it all depends what you are into and like to do whilst on holidays. So many options in Europe, and big differences in only small distances.

Museums, history, food, drink, partying, relaxing... what are you after?

Fwiw, Rome is my favourite city in Europe. I could watch Italians (Romans) all day!

Pick up a new BMW in Munich. Rub shoulders with all the Russian crime bosses/politicians picking up their custom M5s. 

don't forget that Rugby world cup 2019 is on at that time.