E30stz

Quick Questions

If an auto is in car A from factory and still drives fine when removed and placed into car B, which drives fine for 2 days then when you put it into gear it just revs, whats happened?

transmission Fluid ok?? Everything all still connected?

Even more so did you put enough in it lol? Does it leak at all? If so make sure you havnt damaged any seals. I put an auto box in my car to replace the old one and that box had been sitting for a few years and the input shaft seal went solid and only lasted 2 days, crapped out leaked oil and that was the end of gearbox lol...

Ok just a few quick questions that need to be resolved urgently in my pre f/l E30.

what are the common causes of the following to help me narrow it down to the root of the problem.

electric windows not working.

window wipers not working.

also i am wiring some gauges into my dash where is the best place to wire in an earth and wire in a live to the lighting circuit? and don't just say in the bundle of wires behind the ignition

Ok just a few quick questions that need to be resolved urgently in my pre f/l E30.

what are the common causes of the following to help me narrow it down to the root of the problem.

electric windows not working.

window wipers not working.

Have you checked ALL of your fuses ??? Any missing from fuse box ??

also i am wiring some gauges into my dash where is the best place to wire in an earth and wire in a live to the lighting circuit? and don't just say in the bundle of wires behind the ignition

If your cigarette lighter is illuminated, use the earth and positive from the lighter (light)

If its auto use the gate illumination light feed

Otherwise use a test light, with park lights on check the sterio plug for a feed wire from the park lights

(some E30's had a sterio illumination feed from park lights)

Or you could take a feed off the park light switch

Earths ( brown wires ) are everywhere

Hope this helps

Give me a call

Cheers

Glenn

Thin grey wires with red stripe are positive light wires, as Glenn says, you might find one with the radio loom wiring or the ciggy lighter.

Did you screw the earth wire for the wiper steering column switch securely to its mounting point?

Windows might be the in line inhibitor switch, the big rectangular one with the red stripe around it, that is used to disable the windows.

cheers guys.

one more thing, i need a live wire thats on when the car is on, (not just when the lights are on).

i found the window inhibitor switch in my box of parts but can't figure out where to hook it up to, unless it is not the problem.

i found the window inhibitor switch in my box of parts but can't figure out where to hook it up to, unless it is not the problem.

If you havn't installed it, that will be your problem. Look for 2 reasonably heavy wires - green/grey trace and green/blue trace and plug it in there.

Alternatively you may be able to remove this wire if the switch was dash mounted and not on the centre console. Just look up under the dash cubby side and remove the extension wire and plug the male/female plugs together. If you are not sure what I am going on about give me a call.

You will find both a constant +12V and switched +12V in the radio loom.

Will

What time/day is top gear on? Got our telle back..

Hey you guys just wondering if anyone would have any idea as to what the problem with my E36 is.

I have a 318is with the M44B19. It makes a loud ticking noise that gets faster as the revs rise but you can't hear it after about 3k rpm. I found a similar topic about this but the guy said His noise was coming from the alternator. My first guess was noisy lifters or something but the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the head. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the inlet manifold. Doesn't seem to be the belts or anything either. Could it be the timing chain tensioner? I've heard they make a similar noise when they need attention.

Hey you guys just wondering if anyone would have any idea as to what the problem with my E36 is.

I have a 318is with the M44B19. It makes a loud ticking noise that gets faster as the revs rise but you can't hear it after about 3k rpm. I found a similar topic about this but the guy said His noise was coming from the alternator. My first guess was noisy lifters or something but the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the head. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the inlet manifold. Doesn't seem to be the belts or anything either. Could it be the timing chain tensioner? I've heard they make a similar noise when they need attention.

Possibly the Disa valve in the manifold

I'm looking at getting some brand new 15x7's with 35mm offset for my E30. How will these sit? Anyone run wheels with these specs before, will they require spacers or have any rubbing.

Cheers.

Fronts will require spacers of 5mm ish (assuming 51mm struts for 320/325). Rears will fit but sit inside the guards a fair way. Correct offset is around ET20-25.

Edited by bravo

Hi, I have a 92 BMW 320i auto 2ltr motor which I would like to replace and want to know if there is a BMW motor which would bolt straight in?

Het i'm just wondering what a Getrag 240 with the flyweel clutch and diff would be worth?

My car has all of a sudden started stalling out as if its running out of petrol, any suggestions as to what this could be. I thought Id ask here first as it could be a common fault like an sensor or something.

It’s a NZ new 320i facelift

Thanks heaps

My car has all of a sudden started stalling out as if its running out of petrol, any suggestions as to what this could be. I thought Id ask here first as it could be a common fault like an sensor or something.

It’s a NZ new 320i facelift

Thanks heaps

Have you tried adjusting the idle?

We have just completed a manual conversion on a PFL '86 325i coupe using a getrag 260.

What wires do I need to jump to get my car to start without the auto shifter plugged in? Seems that the reverse light switch needs to be plugged in for the car to start too...

I can't seem to find anything on google :(

Help please!

We have just completed a manual conversion on a PFL '86 325i coupe using a getrag 260.

What wires do I need to jump to get my car to start without the auto shifter plugged in? Seems that the reverse light switch needs to be plugged in for the car to start too...

I can't seem to find anything on google :(

Help please!

Contrary to pretty much everything on the internet <_< , turns out one wire of the reverse light plug is a 12V supply (green/black) and that needed to have blue/yellow spliced into it. This way you can keep your reverse lights :D (and remove a metric buttload of wires).

Have you tried adjusting the idle?

Its missing when im actually driving, it runs fine 95% of the time and then all of a sudden starts playing up. I have checked the plugs and leads… there is a strong smell of petrol at times so im thinking its fuel related. Might have to bite the bullet and go see a pro :)

Can someone tell me what a Catalyzer is?

cheers andrew

How do I get the gearbox oil out of a 1990 320i automatic sports switchable gearbox

I cant seem to find a sump plug. Am I just not looking hard enough.

Can take pics.

How do I get the gearbox oil out of a 1990 320i automatic sports switchable gearbox

I cant seem to find a sump plug. Am I just not looking hard enough.

Can take pics.

Undo the filler tube nut if it doesnt have a drain plug. In theory you should take the pan off and change the filter too.

Hey i was wondering how much it would cost to get a professional to do my valve clearances? If i could get an approximate cost, that would be great=D

Thanks

Sam