Sign in to follow this  
international

Telecom or Vodafone

Telecome or Vodafone?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Prob a fairly commonly asked question...

With Telecom's 500 txt to any numbers compared to Vodafone's 2000 txt to Vodafone...what do you choose?

I mean...Vodafone is smart here...trying to get eveyone onto Vodafone and ditch Telecom but offers support to all numbers...

anyhow...who txt 66.66 txt per day? with Vodafone's plan...you would have to claim ACC by the end of the month...

Ive been on Vodafone since...love their free txt weekends...but now...I call more or less...

I answered on which company offered a better range of service.

Vodafone. I really couldn't care about how much it costs to text anyone.

Real-time video calls, global roaming and a much better range of handsets. A truly global company versus our now Mickey-Mouse Telecom. They used to be one of the best in the developed world. Since privatising and not spending on infrastructure, they are going the same way as Air NZ. Complete crap.

Exactly. Can't wait until Telecom move to a GPRS network so i can run dual networks from one handset. Two handsets is getting old. Add a wallet, keys, and a pager and my pockets are full.

Edited by bravo

I wouldn't complain too much, we don't have any other options at the momment, plus remember we live in what is equivilant to an oversized pacific island.

Let me share my light...

I agree with Phil Ken Sebben...they are just as sh*t as each other...

One is horse sh*t and the other is cow sh*t...both sh*t...

If Telecom wants to unbundle...it better do it fast...not just their mobile service is sh*t...still using CDMA systems but their internet service is really sh*t...

I dont want to sound bragging like a little kid but its bloody frank...

Vodafone...service is moedicore...but just as expensive as telecom...offers no obvious advantage?

I dont seem to be able to find any obvious or significant advantage of using GPRS than CDMA? maybe Im just a noob....but Im def not in favour of any of them...

Anyone considered starting up BIMMERSPORT COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED? :D

Cain...I love your simile of Air New Zealand and Telecom...flawlessly used~

Edited by international

anyhow...who txt 66.66 txt per day?

Should see someone in my shop claiming the buttons on his new phone doesn't work well. He texted over 4000 text in 3 weeks!!!

Back to the topic, both companies ain't that great. Telecom lacks in product range and roaming, I've never had much good service from Voda. Recent "system upgrade" from Voda ticks me off a bit as I can't even track my usage for 6 weeks!

Edited by my_e36

My daughter!!! :angry:

Teens I guess...I guess Im passing that phase...soon enough~

I gonna admit...there was a time where I peaked around there but that was when I had a GF hahaha

Telecom have good plans for off peak free minutes and 500 txt to anyone, i've been with telecom for about 4 years now and have had no problems, up until now the plans they have were much cheaper than vodafone, I was spending $40 month at telecom and getting the equivalent to a $60 a month vodafone plan.

Tomorrow I am switching to vodafone because i need to make more calls during peak times and their plans are better, i have been waiting to be able to keep my same 027 number which i can now do.

Summary:

Telecom

cheap plans for off peak and weekend calls

ample free text to any number

crap range of phones

crap 3g network

old technology (but who notices anyway?)

Vodaone

good business plans

good you choose plans

annoying that txt is only to other vodafones

vast range of phones

good 3g network

it's not telecom

better overseas useability by miles

Their range/coverage seems to be on par and the customer service i don't really use.

hopefully I will be happy with my move to vodafone, even if it is just because it's "not telecom"

Telecom have good plans for off peak free minutes and 500 txt to anyone, i've been with telecom for about 4 years now and have had no problems, up until now the plans they have were much cheaper than vodafone, I was spending $40 month at telecom and getting the equivalent to a $60 a month vodafone plan.

Tomorrow I am switching to vodafone because i need to make more calls during peak times and their plans are better, i have been waiting to be able to keep my same 027 number which i can now do.

Summary:

Telecom

cheap plans for off peak and weekend calls

ample free text to any number

crap range of phones

crap 3g network

old technology (but who notices anyway?)

Vodaone

good business plans

good you choose plans

annoying that txt is only to other vodafones

vast range of phones

good 3g network

it's not telecom

better overseas useability by miles

Their range/coverage seems to be on par and the customer service i don't really use.

hopefully I will be happy with my move to vodafone, even if it is just because it's "not telecom"

very well summed up...I am just listening to NewsTalk ZB...yes I know not something someone my age would listen to but I do at night to keep me awake...anyways...Ive just heard the host talking about how crap the "customer service" is with Telecom because they dont have empathy~

my telecom phone is up for sale on trade me if anyone wants to buy it LINK TO AUCTION no reserve

I'm a Vodafone customer but only because the alternative is just as bad.

[rant]

Vodafone has shocking customer service and doesn't seem interested in keeping people on account, seems they prioritise the prepay plans, just look at the best mate offer as it's not even available to on account/you choose plans, wtf?

Go into a vodafone store and the representatives don't even know the phones or plans. You'll find that Vodafone offers some very cheap on account base plans but they hide them so ppl don't actually use them, they're only there to bring down the OECD rankings. Ask a store CSR about the base plans for a startling reply.

Then factor in how useless their technical department is, they can't even do a system upgrade change (Pitstop) without taking the billing system out of whack for 6 weeks - I can't get up to date info till EOM and their billing system is sending out phantom bills and txts - most tech departments can do a change overnight, not to mention it's taken well over a year, especially given the prepay system was upgraded last year without delays and thats 80% of the customer base!!! WTF?

Why the f**k does a telco prioritise a prepay service and not on-account??? They are so f**ked up, no wonder 3 of the their top directors have walked off the job

[/rant]

Also, both telcos are charging us through the nose for the cost of WAP/Broadband as its so incredibly ridiculous i'll never upgrade to a N95 or similar. Stupid toys.

I was a long time Voda supporter until they forced me off my old on-account plan I had been on for 6 years. It was the cheapest plan around and there is nothing that compares these days - I wonder why they binned it??? Anyway, I moaned, got 3 months free account on a new plan for my trouble and at the end binned it and went Telecom Prepay.

I later on bought a voda prepay card to take advantage of the free txt weekends. So now I have two phones. I ring voda from my voda at 49c a minute anytime and same to ring telecom from my telecom. Landlines are teh same from both phones. All texting is done from Telecom as I don't use 500 a month and $10 text pwns.

I spend around $40 a month all up whih is $20 a month cheaper than I was going to have to spend to have the same usage under vodafones plan.

Good thing about voda though is best mate - I spend hours on the phone per month for the same $6.

We have both a Vodafone (mine) and Telecom (Brook's) phone.

Both companies/phones as good (or bad) as each other. Both bills are within a few $$ of each other each month - but they are both "company" phones, so I don't really pay too much attention to the bills, just write a cheque out each month, and let my accountant worry about the rest. From memory the bill's are normally about $75 each per month. That doesn't seem too bad to me.

But then again, we don't exactly have much usage outside of making/receiving calls, sending a few texts and sending a few photos.

Both our phones have MP3 players, and mine has a 2MP camera (Brook's has a much more useless camera). We don't download music, as it is easy enough to transfer from a PC. However I have very rarely used the MP3 player, as I have an iPod for listening to music. We don't use mobile internet etc, so can't comment on that. Mine has 1GB of memory...but it is probably 95% empty still. My phone is 3G - but I turned it off the day I got the phone, as the battery lasts a lot longer with it off, never needed it on since.

Cheers

Grant

meh, ignorance is bliss.

I'd rather not know what features I could have, and waste more money on.

500txt and a few calls is all I need (want?) a phone for. Besides, I reckon a nice phone would last me about 2 weeks before it gets lost/broken/stolen.

so a telecom POS it is for me. FWIW my current phone has been left on roof of my car. I found it in bits 500m down the road, pieced it together and aside from the fact I have have to use loudspeaker to hear someone its fine. nokia bricks FTW

Edited by Mike

Vodafone purely for GSM/GPRS

I use my phone for calls (around 250 mins/month)

Text (only 400/500 or so)

Mobile Internet through my laptop.

Bill is usually 150 - 200 /month

I found it in bits 500m down the road, pieced it together and aside from the fact I have have to use loudspeaker to hear someone its fine. nokia bricks FTW

Same thing happened to me except mine was in my pocket and fell out as I was riding my motorbike down the road. Same Nokia brick, same prob with using loudspeaker.

Finally fell apart last week. And we come to the other benefit of Telecom - free phones if you are on a plan. I'm not, but My dads company has about 15 phones, so he gave me a freebie yesterday. I made sure it was another nokia "brick". (There were about 5 to choose from in the "free" list from telecom). All you do is upgarde a phone, then switch the number back to the old phone. = new phone with no number. Which I then get my prepay number switched to.

Same thing happened to me except mine was in my pocket and fell out as I was riding my motorbike down the road. Same Nokia brick, same prob with using loudspeaker.

Finally fell apart last week. And we come to the other benefit of Telecom - free phones if you are on a plan. I'm not, but My dads company has about 15 phones, so he gave me a freebie yesterday. I made sure it was another nokia "brick". (There were about 5 to choose from in the "free" list from telecom). All you do is upgarde a phone, then switch the number back to the old phone. = new phone with no number. Which I then get my prepay number switched to.

there are a few loophole like this, with the ability to keep the same number with either provider you can switch back and forth and benefit from the freebies that they offer to entice you over from the competitor. sell the free phone you get each time and make money from the bastards.

k Aus rocks face (at least more so than nz) for providers, 3, voda, telstra, optus, soul, boost, dodo, there is so much comp between companies its awesome,

one cool offer they have is a cap plan for prepay

eg, $49 prepay card gives you $400 credit. pretty good, but it expires monthly.

internet is f**k loads faster as more availability, ie cable 24mbps DS connection for under $100 a month for 25 gig plans.

hope once telecom get it in the ass, the nz broadband and phone competition will increase.

I Work at Orcon New Zealands 4th largest ISP provider, you may have heard of it.

Inside information is that Orcon has just teamed up with Telecommunications and Broadcasting company Kordia ( they own TVNZ ) and cell phones will be coming out for Orcon Hopefully by the end of this year so keep your eyes and ears out and you can soon get rid of Telecom and Vodafone forever if you so wish! YAY!!!!!!

I Work at Orcon New Zealands 4th largest ISP provider, you may have heard of it.

Inside information is that Orcon has just teamed up with Telecommunications and Broadcasting company Kordia ( they own TVNZ ) and cell phones will be coming out for Orcon Hopefully by the end of this year so keep your eyes and ears out and you can soon get rid of Telecom and Vodafone forever if you so wish! YAY!!!!!!

can we get rid of pink writing for ever!?