Sign in to follow this  
international

Telecom or Vodafone

Telecome or Vodafone?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a moan to telecom about them shutting down there CDMA network in Australia and my Apache didn't work etc etc..Im here alot on business.

Got a new Blackberry World Mobile PDA for free, Works on CDMA in NZ and Gsm in Aussie. Should hope so really. Last year my family put $40,000 worth of business through them.

I had a moan to telecom about them shutting down there CDMA network in Australia

Telstraclear shut down CDMA in aus yo

Telstraclear shut down CDMA in aus yo

Sweet as, All I new was that I used to be able to use my telecom apache here and now I can't - so they gave me a new pda

Tis all good

Wow nice. You must have been bored to dig up a near 1 year old topic.

I answered on which company offered a better range of service.

Vodafone. I really couldn't care about how much it costs to text anyone.

Real-time video calls, global roaming and a much better range of handsets. A truly global company versus our now Mickey-Mouse Telecom. They used to be one of the best in the developed world. Since privatising and not spending on infrastructure, they are going the same way as Air NZ. Complete crap.

Telecom is investing vast amounts of money in NZ. However Telecoms investment is not exclusively in one ares. Chorus (a Telecom company) is investing about 1.4 billion installing thousand of road side cabinets to house broadband equipment, and thousands of kilometers of fibre to connect them to the network.

At the same time Telecom is deploying a new GSM / UMTS mobile phone network which is due to be available before the end of this year. The CDMA network will run in parallel with it for about 4 more years. Telstra's decision to change from CDMA to GSM / UMTS means Telecom CDMA phone can no longer roam to Australia - but for instance they will work in the USA, where GSM is a minor player. Howere they do have WorldMode phones available, which are both GSM and CDMA - these pupples work just about everywhere.

Before privatising Telecom was a complete shambles - 25,000 staff, and even with all those staff it still took 6 months for a connection. Since it was privatised Telecom has become world class.

By the way services like real time video sound cool, and are good once or twice to impress people - but how many people are making live video calls? Unlike SMS (text) it's not a killer application - cool - but not something that everyone wants (yet?).

Vodafone is getting the Apple iPhone - Due in July

So if T/com is going to GSM, then we will be able to use any GSM handset?? That would be awesome as I could finally run both networks from one dual-sim handset.

Chorus are a pain. I have to deal with them now for all infrastructure for new subdivisions and they need to be schooled a bit as at the moment what used to take a 5 min fax to telecom takes days to sort out with Chorus.

They'll probably get better though.

So if T/com is going to GSM, then we will be able to use any GSM handset?? That would be awesome as I could finally run both networks from one dual-sim handset.

Chorus are a pain. I have to deal with them now for all infrastructure for new subdivisions and they need to be schooled a bit as at the moment what used to take a 5 min fax to telecom takes days to sort out with Chorus.

They'll probably get better though.

Hi Bravo

Set up of Chorus shouldn't have affected this sort of thing - it wasn't meant to. Chorus got all the people who did this work.

BTW - I work for Telecom

Vodafone is getting the Apple iPhone - Due in July

Now that is a sexy device - not UMTS though - I guess that will come in version 2.

Good news is that it doesn't look like Voda have an exclusive deal on the iPhone.

It looks like Voda is going to SIM lock it phones, apprently to protect the customer expereince. What it also will do is stop a customer popping in a Telecom SIM when Telecoms GSM network is up and running, and it will stop people romaing overseas buying a local SIM foir their nphone rto avoid high romaing call charges.

Telecom has annouched today it will NOT be locking the SIM on it's new GSM / UMTS network. Personally I'm looking forward to when we (Telecom) have access to a wider range of handsets, and are able to compete head-on with Voda.

Now that is a sexy device - not UMTS though - I guess that will come in version 2.

Good news is that it doesn't look like Voda have an exclusive deal on the iPhone.

It looks like Voda is going to SIM lock it phones, apprently to protect the customer expereince. What it also will do is stop a customer popping in a Telecom SIM when Telecoms GSM network is up and running, and it will stop people romaing overseas buying a local SIM foir their nphone rto avoid high romaing call charges.

Telecom has annouched today it will NOT be locking the SIM on it's new GSM / UMTS network. Personally I'm looking forward to when we (Telecom) have access to a wider range of handsets, and are able to compete head-on with Voda.

But a phone that hasn't been locked from Singapore or something would still work on the Vodafone network right?

from what i have heard (i work for vodafone) the deal on the iphone is exclusive. and you can expect it july/august.

and telecom will have a lot of catching up todo before they compete head on with vodafone, we have 10+ years experience with GSM where as telecom is starting from scratch

you can already get the iphone from parallel imported anyway, Im guessing you just pop the sim in it and its sweet

Guest Simon*

All the news reports and IT bulletins coming out indicate that vodafone worldwide (not merely NZ) have signed a non-exclusive deal with apple for the iphone - makes sense for apple. MJore markets for them to get into.

Personally I believe the competition for iphone customers will only be good up to a point before the 2 giants will get to a comfortable price and they'll remain pretty much the same as each other. Industry analysts predict vodafone's handset pricing will be $50-80 USD dearer here than overseas.

It's looking, at face value at least, that you're better off importing an iphone from abroad and unlocking it - at the very least because you'll be able to chop and change simcards etc.

People are in for a huge shock when their iphone bills start arriving and look at how much data is costing them too.

Free wireless to the world!!! B)

Yes Data is expensive, I do my emails on my Blackberry when i'm away and it is not cheap!! However it is very handy.

It looks like Voda is going to SIM lock it phones,

Telecom has annouched today it will NOT be locking the SIM on it's new GSM / UMTS network.

That's a bit of a filp then as at them moment, non-telecom CDMA handsets don't work on the telecom network (I wanted to import a pda phone and couldn't as it wouldn't work and ended up buying a secondhand Apache)

Whereas with voda you can run any GSM handset that has been unlocked (The majority of them, and hence why the iphone has actually been in nz for quite awhile now, just not officially)

What a pack of wankers - if they can't supply handsets at internationally competitive rates, then we should be able to outsource if we want to.

BTW jimbo, when we used to send a letter to t/com saying - here is our proposed subdivision, what are your requirements?, they sent us a nice neat letter spelling it out in clear english for us to forward to the wallys at council for our RC consent. Chorus now sends us some vague waffle with no specifics and Council then make us go back to get specific details which Chorus are very unwilling to give. We are currently battling with chorus to get them to change their system. Pm me if you think you can shed some light on the situation.

Edited by bravo

Blackberry Data roaming is super expensive. the deal signed with apple, from what i have heard, will mean voda sells the iphone on unlimited data plans. wireless data plans will also be reduced in price to match this. and i was also told that the deal was exclusive. i guess time will tell with this

Guest Simon*

will mean voda sells the iphone on unlimited data plans. wireless data plans will also be reduced in price to match this

If this is true then it would almost ALMOST make it worth buying one through vodafone

I read today they're attempting to open up the 900MHz spectrum for just such heavy data usage - as there is too much constriction on current carriers.

FYI here is an article about iphone today

I seriously dont get what all the hype around the I-Phone is for.

I used one for a couple of months and besides the cool GUI and Music/Photo apps, the day to day usage of the phone is terrible.

It would lock up, the battery life was a standard 1 day (Any PDA i've ever used has been the same) and not having high-speed data was frustrating.

Having worked in the mobile industry for the last 7 years i can safely tell you there are plenty of better phones out there with same functions (Excluding the GUI/Itunes ofcourse) for sharper pricing and more open platforms.

If you like the GUI of the Iphone and you run a windows mobile phone with WM5 or higher you can download the Touch-Flo software off the net made by HTC which gives you the same type of interface. Its leaked copy of the programme, but there are plenty of sights on the net with support for it.

I've loaded it onto a Titan and its been working sweet for the last few weeks.

Im also very interested to see how the locking of sims vs no locking works out for each Telco.

Personally I think any provider that tries to dictate to its customers what they can and cant have are asking for trouble. Consumers hate being dictated to and at the end of the day its their money you're wanting and by policing them with device functionality will just get you a one fingered salute.

When I was at Voda we did a risk analyses of parralell imported phones. This was at the time the Sony Ericsson K750i was launched. After doing imei network checks we found that over 72% of the Sony Ericsson K750i's that were connected to the network had not been imported by Voda or Brightpoint (Voda Disti). So a massive impact from parralell imported phones and that was before they started heaving promotions through mailers and radio.

Telecoms XT Network; highspeed W-CDMA 3G everywhere, not W-CDMA in main centres and lower speed GSM everywhere else like the other guys!

XT WCDMA works in the 850Mhz band which is better for the signal through walls etc.

Telecom XT Plans. Expensive, unattractive.

Faster network. Yay! I can get ripped off twice as fast for data!

Guest Simon*

In my, perhaps overly simplistic, view:

Telecom = Old, slow, inflexible, Ugly phones

Vodafone = New, innovative, great range of phones and services (toys) and I used to go out with a really hot chick who worked there :D

Will be very hard for Telecom to shake my mindset about it. Plus I've kinda lost some respect for Hammond for doing their XT ads ;)

Telecoms customer service has it all over Vodafone.

2c

Guest Simon*

Telecoms customer service has it all over Vodafone.

2c

Nah let down badly by Xtra (I don't differentiate - all the same company to me), but yeah don't like the foreign helpdesk outsourcing vodafone went to.

Don't like paying for a home phone I only want broadband through either

4c (and counting)