Sign in to follow this  
bravo

New WOF rules

At the end of the day i'm sorry to say the law is the law, if you've modded your car and its not been certified then it should'nt be on the road same goes for WOF and Rego, It's the same as if you build onto your house and dont get resource consent or planning permission even if get a fully skilled masterbuilder to do the work its still illegal with out the correct paperwork and in some cases you'll be told to tear it down.

If your worried about a $500 cert just wait until compulsory insurance comes in and they tie it in with age, cc, hp, turbos and mods = $, like they do in the EU and $500 will be a pitance

I totally agree with you guys who are taking the moral high road regarding modified cars without certs - dangerous vehicles on the same roads as me and my family etc etc,

BUT

There are plenty of mods you are allowed to do without a cert. Cops often don't know the rules well enough to make the call. Next thing you know, your m5 that has nothing but a set of totally legal supalow springs with shortened shocks and a set of 17" Alpina rims is being crushed because the cop doesn't believe you that the springs are captive and is mistaken that because your front kit is less than 100mm off the ground (even though no chassis, steering or suspension component is) that you are driving without a required cert.

Bye Bye m5.

Its not the crushing - its giving the cop on the beat the power to do it that's the problem. Whats wrong with confiscation and then crushing after the court process with storage costs added on to the offenders fine???

Why must it happen on the side of the road?

Valid point Bravo, surely they wouldnt let the local plod make that decision or maybe they'll have someone there from LTSA to push the button. Either way its a bit drastic all i can see is a lot of law suits clogging up our already congested court rooms.

When building my 180sx I made sure I had a cert. The car gets alot of attention from the police. But once they see the cert they are happy with me. And alot of my mods were done in Japan. So $500 assured me the car is still to a safe standard. That $500 can save you thousands if you get done at one of those full on check points where they have LTSA guys working.

I would like to see car crushers. I think it is a good idea. Give the person 2 weeks to apeal. Most will let there car go. A deregd car on the road gets handed out about $1000 worth of instant fines anyway.

certs are a waste of time and money imo my cars already been checked and deemed safe i dont need sum chump with a clipboard doing a $500 check and slapping a piece of metal on my car

I disagree with that statement, as you have not given any reason as to why A cert is a waste of time.

They do far more than slap a piece of metal on your car.

In general Car Certifiers are not Chumps and are the very car enthusiast's similar to so many on these boards, who most of which have had a lifetime of modifying cars and experience.

I belive modifed cars that need certification should dam well have it, No i don't agree with some of the rules/regulations but as has been mentioned earlier in this topic Peoples Family & Friends are out there driving around and they should be able to do so safely without

Some Chumps as you put it's car with his cut springs,bald tires & big turbo hooning around when he loses control and kills somebody.

No Reg & No Wof should = Crushed car.

You Don't deserve to be on the road if you can't organise these basic things.

There's no way car crushers could be operated on a roadside. For starters you must remove all fluids from a vehicle before crushing, as well as many other parts- it's too hard to remove them after crushing and makes it illegal to dump the "car-casses" if they are still full of oil/glass/air conditioning gas/fuel and so forth.

That and car crushers are very loud and messy. It would be an absolute logistical nightmare, I simply don't see it happening on roadsides- I agree it would be a very effective spectacle, but practically, it's a joke. Fear not, SLABsters!

it's a joke.

You don't say? Why would Glen joke about such a serious topic??! :lol:

Edited by bravo

no tolerance on wof is a bit harsh in my opinion. My VR-4 didn't have a warrant for about 2 weeks once, I took it to a place who said the lower suspension arm bushes were slightly worn and needed replacing, so I drove it back home and left it at home until the part came in from Japan, took it to the place and told them to fit it, then do the warrant. I drove the car without a warrant that was in perfect condition (it would have flown through the wof) apart from one suspension arm that was slightly worn, and I only drove it once to the wof place to get it sorted.

If a cop stopped me on the way and tried to get it crushed, well I hate to be honest here, but I'd drive off and out run him. I love my cars and I keep them in the absolute best condition wherever I possibly can and try my hardest to make them as safe as possible. Yes, I've cleaned the underneath of the car with a tea towel and a bowl of water/car wash before!

I support the car crushing tactic. I wouldn't worry too much if you failed a WOF and you could prove you were on the way to the mechanic to get it fixed. At the end of the day the car crushing is to scare the people who won't/can't get certs for their illegal mods off the road, and it will certainly work.

To anyone who think certs are stupid - they are there for a reason and that is to certify your car is safe. If you can't pay $500 for a cert how do you afford all your wheels, expensive tyres, springs, tail light spray paint, sounds etc? If you do uncerted mods your car may end up being less safe than if you had left it stock. If you can't afford $500 - stop modding your car, save up for a few years, get your priorities right. Then DO IT THE RIGHT WAY.

Bravo has a good point about people without sufficient knowledge and wof issues. Our completely standard '88 M325i was failed a wof for a front spoiler hanging too low (admittedley the girlfriend had clipped a couple of driveways and it was hanging maybe 15mm lower than norm). I pointed out that it wasn't structural/suspension/steering etc and he wouldn't let it go. Gave me a quote for $916 +GST to set the car right for that and various other items. Took it to Bellars MW, got everything done for $440 incl GST. Civic Auto in Parnell for the loss. I am 100% convinced this is because I let my partner take the car in.

I support the tyre rule by the way, low tread and wet = BANG!

I don't believe there will be mobile car crushers BTW, Helengrad would lose too many votes from her base.

Yes, Brad and Bravo both have valid points. The police would need to show some discretion. I'm not suggesting a car that is out of WOF by a day/week or month that is in good condition should be impounded/crushed in every occasion.

But, drive around GI for a while and see what percentage of cars shouldn't be on the road at all. Either through neglect or modding (without certs). I'm happy to see modified vehicles, as long as it is done correctly.

The clowns a the WOF station don't always know what they are talking about either. They tried to fail my car when it had the race tires on it through lack of tread. They couldn't understand the difference between slick and bald. So I take the car to McMillans for a warrant now, where I get a warrant and a wash for the same price. (less actually).

If someone deliberately mods their car which make it dangerous like removing springs, or has bags in and then disables the cert requirement that the bags can not be operated while the vehicle is moving, they should be crushed when caught. Cars that havn't had rego or warrant for months, driving on totally bald tyres, same thing.

With my fleet I often have a vehicle with rego on hold for ages while I do mods etc, but, before I drive it down the road without rego or warrant, I book it into my warrant place, so, if Mr Plod stops me, I can tell them to call and check that I am in fact on the way to get it warranted so I can get a rego on it. If I get had for it anyway, that is life, I know I should trailer the car down there for a warrant but am willing to take the chance (and the consequences). I don't have any hesitation in driving it unwarranted as I know it is in a warrantable condition.

No mercy for wankers who endander my families life... and that goes for drunks and those out of control on drugs and party pills as well!

Will

I have to totally agree with all of Will's comments and the others who are looking at this thread with safety and sencibility a focus of the discussion...the law is the law...no exceptions.

I also agree with "why would you f**k up a prestige vehicle that BMW AG has spent millions on developing safety and driving comfort"

I shudder at every "bagged" & "slabed" BMW I see ...and I cant see why the hell anyone would want to do it. They dont handle and in my opinion are not safe on our roads. They do look good in driveways and carparks though. The only way I can see them on our road safely would be on a trailer, gettin towed by Mum or Dad's 4X4

Modifications are a "personal choice"....but surely...safety & the law must come first. And the good thing is, thats what most of the sencible people and sponsors promote on this forum.

Most "baggers & slabers" think its cool and they look cool....yeah right

Lying in a coffin or standing infront of a jury for vehicle manslaughter is not a "cool" look.... think about it

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

Glenn

The whole SLAB thing and huge wheels make no sense to me. I am of the opinion that new rules should be introduced that limit you to plus 2" sized wheels, ie if the car had 16's on as stock you are allowed 18's. There is a similar rule in Victoria and it works very well, you don't see shitty old cars with huge wheels driving all over Melbourne.

But then again, if you install harder springs to get better ride quality, your car typically tends to drop 30-40mm, and when do you get recatagorised into the slab category? The 100mm (or is it 110mm?) ride height rule needs to apply to more of the car imho

I disagree entirely. You can get nearly anything you like certified in NZ. So if you have modded your car and not got an engineer to sign it off. Crush that piece of sh*t, or keep it on the racetrack.

I agree entirely about driver training.

My cars Rego expired last week so does that mean if I go through a check point tonight my BMW should be crushed?? Yea right. Get what im saying.

I agree with threeoneeight, you can't crush a car on the side of the road, how many check points are operational at one time, heaps! So every checkpoint is going to have one??? Complete joke!

Another thing, the exhaust noise thing for a w.o.f is also pointless, w.o.fs are a safety check, if you have a louder exhaust than standard that's not unsafe to the vehicle, excessively noisey is stupid don't get me wrong but not unsafe!

Cheers.

I agree with threeoneeight, you can't crush a car on the side of the road, how many check points are operational at one time, heaps! So every checkpoint is going to have one??? Complete joke!

Another thing, the exhaust noise thing for a w.o.f is also pointless, w.o.fs are a safety check, if you have a louder exhaust than standard that's not unsafe to the vehicle, excessively noisey is stupid don't get me wrong but not unsafe!

Cheers.

I think the legislation was referring to exhaust emissions, not exhaust noise

A lil off topic but totally agree with bravo about further driver training. The most difficult thing I went thru to get my licence was reversing Dad's ute around a corner, and that was to get my restricted, not the full. I mean, cummon... Thats ridiculous. Is anybody else thinking licences from a weetbix box here?

God damn.

Do it properly.

End of story.

This coming from someone who had to bum a lift on a certain far north excursion because of ground clearance problems???? Tell them Chris !!! :lol:

Yea but it was still fully captive and 100mm off the ground... and hey its a 320... like I could have kept up :lol:

But the car doesnt need a cert as mods are legal.... Unless I get a wanker cop that needs to read the regs.

I still showed that paddock who was boss :P

Edited by Mc Lovin'

No, it is exhaust noise. Obviously more important to the government than toxic emissions.

95dB.

I still showed that paddock who was boss :P

...and brought most of it back to my place attached to your undercarriage.... :ph34r:

haha there is some serious sh*t stirring going on here.

Everyone loves a good moan now and then don't they ...