Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

iphone 3G

My head hurts.

^^

+1

I cannot believe how much action and drama one hell of a big phone has caused over the last week or so.

Dont get me wrong. I think it has all the goods and one day ill probably end up with one but man oh man, one more day of people talking about it on the News, Internet, on the streets etc im going bush!

Someone do a comparison between Telecom's Blackberry plan and the new iPhone one for me.

As I don't pay for anything, I'm not really concerned about the cost of the phone, nor the plan in essense.

If I can justify that I will return at least a cost neutral solution. I'll order an iPhone.

I would have a high data plan on Telecom as I live using my mail on the Blackberry. Having an iPod Touch already, I am dubious about the lack of a tactile key-pad. I know from experience, that the iPod screen is not easy to type quickly and faultlessly.

you guys can go on all you want. The iPhone is a massive breakthrough in mobile computing and communication, it is badass in so many ways. It has hundreds of patents, it has the whole world talking about it, it has every industry making applications to run on it, it outperforms almost every other phone or mp3 player. I am using it right now to effortlessly browse bimmersport and type this message. It truely is awesome and I think any price under 1500 is cheap for it.

just to add. Applications to do almost anything you want are available or will be available in the near future, hell you could download the sdk and build your own, many businesses already are. The best bit though is that you can install an app so so easily without even plugging in a cable. Its the same with the iPhone operating system, its automatic for goodness sake. Name another smart phone that is that user friendly!

Go to the apple website and watch the 2 hour keynote address video to find out how really badass iPhone is. You get to see comparissons to other leading devices, previews of applications being developed, the development cycle of the 2.0 operating system, every little thought and detail is explained.

Once again all typed on my gen 1 iPhone

My head hurts.

I hear ya.

a landline and $10 text does me fine.

I hear ya.

a landline and $10 text does me fine.

Amen. Go the budget old nokia tank and $10 a month for txts

Ollie, I'm with you brother.

Its not perfect, there are drawbacks, but overall it is next level sh*t.

Have you got pxt working?

You can now send and receive Pxt. Works perfectly. (you need swirly MMS and IMMESS viewer).

Out of the box the iPhone is OK, but using 3rd party apps and the 'installer' and its sick. You can do so much crazy sht.

(Hence my previous comments about it being more suited to 'power users'. )

This has all been on windows mobile for sometime.. As for a device, its a sexy looking bitch. I dont doubt the iphones power in the slightest. The only thing im saying is why pay the premium on one and sign yourself up to a kiwisaver style of plan when the US will have em soon, driving the price down and you can have one without having to pay silly money on contract.

Someone always spoils the fun...

Press Release by Greenpeace at 10:22 am, 09 Jul 2008

Based on information available on Apple's website (1), it seems the company known for innovation has missed an opportunity to reinvent its new 3G iPhone in green.

While new product models such as the MacBook Air and the new iMac (2) have made progress in reducing toxic chemicals such as PVC and Brominated Flame Retardants (BFRs), Apple has not announced any new improvements in removing the toxics (PVC, BFRs, antimony) that Greenpeace found present in the first generation iPhone (3).

"Apple is meant to be a world leader in design and marketing, they should also be a world leader in environmental innovation," said Greenpeace spokeswoman Suzette Jackson.

A previous campaign target of Greenpeace for its lagging environmental performance (4), Apple has made a commitment to completely phase out of PVC and BFRs in its product line by the end of 2008 (5); other leading mobile phone providers such as Nokia and Sony Ericsson have already displayed product lines free of these harmful substances (6).

In June, Apple was ranked 11th of 18 companies in Greenpeace's latest Guide to Greener Electronics, scoring 4.1 points out of a possible ten (7).

"The iPhone may be 'Twice as Fast' and 'Half the Price' as Apple advertises, but based on the iPhone specs from Apple's website, it seems to have just as many toxic chemicals as previous models," said Jackson.

"Steve Jobs has missed an opportunity to reinvent the iPhone in green and catch up with other leading mobile phone providers such as Nokia and Sony Ericsson, whose product lines are already free of these harmful substances".

ENDS

iPhone pwns you all.

It is that simple.

an entertainment device with no wireless stereo and the same 2 megapixel camera from 3 years ago....ripp.

an entertainment device with no wireless stereo and the same 2 megapixel camera from 3 years ago....ripp.

A full satnav device with unlimited third party options as well as a 3g modem, tv remote control, full wireless stereo and so on..

A full satnav device with unlimited third party options as well as a 3g modem, tv remote control, full wireless stereo and so on..

Wrong - no a2dp profile in the bt stack and the application layer is locked so no third party software what so ever....unless you hack it and void your warranty.

Bluetooth headphones are not the same as accessing your music service wirelessly though are they ?

Third party apps are going to be on the Apple store so there will be unlimited third party apps. Sheesh this is the world of the internet, anything is possible and with the ease of jailbraking itouchs and existing iphones who cares about the warranty ?

Does it make the morning coffee :P

Edited by sp8s

Wrong - no a2dp profile in the bt stack and the application layer is locked so no third party software what so ever....unless you hack it and void your warranty.

Who knows what the BT stack is capable of now.

Some things in the SDK beg to differ.

As Martyn said - there is full third party possibilities with a killer SDK and a killer device.

It's dirt cheap and the touchscreen is easy to use - i can still rock 60wpm on it.

I wasn't surprised with the price. I am surprised NZ get to officially have them at all.

I reckon this is just to p*ss over Parallel Imports.

I can't believe someone was waiting outside the Voda shop since Wednesday try to get one.

iPhone 3G price in Hong Kong - 8GB HK$4680 (~NZ$780) 16GB HK$5460 (~NZ$910)

That's with 6 GSM networks operators in a city size of Auckland (2x population of whole of NZ)

10x more models of phone, price plan, service to choose from.

I just bought a 16gb iPhone 3G. I was waddling past a VF store, walked in to have a look at them, and walked out with the phone.

Got no idea how to use it, but it looks cool. Will play with it tonight, and get the hang of it.

Cheers

Grant

...with a killer SDK and a killer device.

you almost sound like Steve Jobs .... almost

hehe, that dispells the rumours that the entire country is sold out of 16gb phones !

The girl I dealt with said that they had plenty of the white 16gb ones, and the black and white 8gb ones. No black 16gb phones though.

I don't mind the white one though, I had no colour preference at all.

It seems easy to use, as I have managed to set my email up, and have made and recieved calls, and have got onto the net on it.

Cheers

Grant

God this argument is on every forum. I had a play and could not justify the cost of the phone. My Sony W880 is less than half the size and has a 4gb card. Does lag a little accessing the music though. Has a 2mp camera and video calling. Have no use for going on the internet sitting at a bus stop. Just wait till I get home to use it.

Feel sorry for a guy I know though. First 16gb one he got would not even turn on. Got an OBF replacement the same day. The second one was nicked from his pocket at Yifans Arcade on Queen Street on Saturday. No insurance. Still locked into that sh*t plan.

Whats the battery life like on one of those things?

GSM arena says 10hrs talk time. But due to it being more of a toy/tool than a phone I would like to see what its app use and music playback time is.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3g-2424.php

By the way. GSMarena has very good reviews on just about every phone.

Edited by driftit