Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

iphone 3G

Initial indications are that the iphone is going to cost FROM $199 on a two year fixed contract. The plan details are due to be announced tomorrow at 10am.

There will be three stores nationwide open at 12am if you feel so inclined but sales will be available over the internet at midnight aswell.

Sounds promising.

i should be able to confirm the plans tomorrow night, if they havent allready been anounced.

How is that "sensible", relevant or going to get on anyones nerves?

the original iphone doesn't have 3G, hence no pxt, everyone knows this. The new 3G iphone does. If your friend loves pxt so much she should have done her research. The best way to buy an iphone is to buy it in the US and unlock it, it will ALWAYS be cheapest there.

I had a chat to my friend at vodafone last night, here is what he said.

"We had iphone training this week, there are 75,000 pre-orders and only 10,000 phones. We don't even know the plans that they will be sold with or anything. I'm staying the hell away from them for at least 6 months. I think the smallest plan you can get one on will be 24 month you choose 250 ($110/month) and the phone will cost $400, if you buy the phone outright it will cost $900 (until blackberrys go down in price)"

I am glad I bought my 1st generation iphone, i don't use pxt and 3G is too expensive anyway so i save myself a lot of money. Once i upgrade to the 2.0 software and sign up for Mobile Me (push email, contacts, calendar etc..) i will be happy, a lot happier than the people who stuff around with vodafone and their rip off data plans etc...

Once 3G data is more affordable and the phone is waaay down in price i might upgrade to the 3G unit so i can use the extra GPS and 3G features.

the 75,000 pre orders are most likely to be 90% kids thinking they are going to get it for $199 on prepay.... and i find 10,000 phones hard to believe as i have been told that as a company we are getting 500 in total (we are vodafones biggest dealer) and because of this only 11 of our store will be selling them,and apples business plan is apparently to starve the market for 6-8 weeks after the launch

3 stores are doing a mid night release, with queen street vodafone retail being one of them, i cant remember the

other 2.

EDIT:358 Lampton Quay, Wellington and 681 Colombo St, Christchurch

another point to note, is that Mobile Me will only be good for Microsoft Exchange servers. just like the moto Q9 and Sony Ericsson's

Edited by 328imobbin

The iPhone is the sh*t. Period. No debate. Certainly hoping our comany will be able to sell these when our new W-CDMA network goes live later this year.

Apple have introduced a device that changes the market - i.e. the device is more important to the user than the network, and the popularity is such that Apple can insist on things like revenue share, and special plans.

The gottcha with this and other phones that make heavy use of the 3G mobile data network (Telecom or Voda) is that the charges for the data are extremely high.

Data over mobile devices using mobile networks is likely to remain high, compared to wired / fibre based broadband. While the hype from mobile companies is that mobile data is the future; be careful.

While it is technically possible to achieve very high data rates using mobile technologies these speeds are in fact not common, as every other user in the area competes for the same bandwidth (which can be addressed by more cello sites, and more tightly controlled antenas - and we all know how easy it is to get a new cell tower put in). When a company have something that is valuable to people who have money (business customers), there is a way of controlling demand - price!

iPhone plans:

The iPhone will be available with the following plans:

Vodafone offers three great iPhone plans - iPhone 250,

iPhone 500 and iPhone 1GB

iPhone Specific Plans iPhone 250 iPhone 500 iPhone 1GB

Cost per Month $80 $130 $250

Included Minutes 120 250 600

Included text 600 600 600

Included Data 250 MB 500 MB 1 GB

Additional Usage

Per minute $0.69 $0.55 $0.53

Per text $0.20 $0.20 $0.20

Per MB $0.10 $0.10 $0.03

iPhone with plan

8GB iPhone $549 $449 $199

16GB iPhone $699 $599 $349

iPhone Only

To purchase an iPhone 3G with no plan you’ll need to visit

a Vodafone retail store.

iPhone only iPhone 8GB iPhone 16GB

$979 $1129

Broadband plans for mobile

You can use the iPhone on other Vodafone On Account plans

(You Choose, talkZone or Corporate). To get Vodafone mobile broadband

you will need to sign up to a compatible 200MB or 1GB Broadband plan

for mobile. Broadband plans for mobile are on a 24 month term.

Broadband plans for mobile Broadband 200MB Broadband 1GB

Price per month $29.95 $49.95

Included Data 200MB 1GB

Additional Cost per MB $0.50 $0.50

Bundle Insurance If you reach your data limit, we’ll automatically

give you that limit again at the same speed, for just $10 more

Ending your contract early (Early Termination Charge)

If your needs have changed and you want to end your iPhone

or Broadband plan for mobile contract early, we’ll do everything we

can to help - but there may be fees.

The size of the fee depends on how early you’re cancelling.

iPhone 0-6 Months 6-12 Months +12 Months

iPhone 250MB $600 $520 $260

iPhone 500MB $780 $670 $330

iPhone 1GB $1050 $910 $450

Broadband plan for mobile 0-6 Months 7-18 Months 19-24 Months

Broadband 200MB $160 $160 $30

Broadband 1GB $160 $160 $50

Early Resign Fee

Sometimes it makes sense to renew your Vodafone contract

before it ends. If that’s possible on your contract, an early resign

fee may apply.

iPhone 0-6 Months 6-12 Months +12 Months

iPhone 250MB Not avail Not avail $150

iPhone 500MB Not avail Not avail $150

iPhone 1GB Not avail Not avail $150

Broadband Plan for Mobile 0-12 Months 13-18 Months 19-24 Months

Broadband 200MB Not avail $150 $0

Broadband 1GB Not avail $150 $0

Switching to an iPhone plan

Plan transfer fees only apply if you downgrade your plan

within the first 6 months of your current term

Switching from iPhone 250 iPhone 500 iPhone 1GB

Choose 20 $0 $0 $0

Choose 60/ Mobilise 50 $0 $0 $0

Choose 120/ Mobilise 100 $0 $0 $0

Choose 250/ Mobilise 200 $340 $0 $0

Choose 600/ Mobilise 400 $540 $0 $0

Choose 1100/ Mobilise 750 $640 $100 $0

Choose 2000/ Mobilise 1500 $640 $100 $0

talkZone $340 $0 $0

iPhone 250 $0 $0 $0

iPhone 500 $200 $0 $0

iPhone 1GB $500 $350 $0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to know

The iPhone 3G plans are only available on iPhone 3G handsets.

You can get a You Choose plan on an iPhone 3G but you will

not be able to access the web without a Broadband Plan for Mobile.

If you purchase an iPhone 3G, use it on You Choose plan

then move to an iPhone plan, you will not be eligible for the iPhone

3G handset subsidy.

Once you have purchased an iPhone 3G you must activate

it via iTunes in order to use data, and register via iTunes in order

to use the iTunes service.

All prices above include GST.

All plans are on a 24 month term.

Vodafone On Account Terms and Conditions apply.

All prices are listed in NZ Dollars.

NZ iPhone launch info:

New Zealand is the first country in the world to get the iPhone 3G thanks to our timezone, meaning Vodafone New Zealand will be the world’s first 3G iPhone network.

On Friday 11 July at 12:01am, the new iPhone 3G hits the shelves in three Vodafone stores nationwide. Should you be crazy enough to queue up, these stores are:

Auckland - 171 Queen St, Auckland City

Wellington - 358 Lambton Quay, Wellington

Christchurch - 681 Colombo St, Christchurch

Then at 9am a bunch of other Vodafone stores around the nation stocking the iPhone will be open, these are available on the Vodafone website on this map.

MORE SOON!

Looks good to me, I might look at getting one.

The three in one (Nav, MP3, Phone) aspect is what appeals to me.

A couple of questions you techno whizzes my help me with

Will they have a demo phone in store so I can have a play to see if I like it?

Does it use the same plugs as a normal I-Pod classic? Would want to be able to plug it into my head deck, or does it transmit music via Bluetooth?

Can I dock it with my existing I tunes even though it has a small storage capabilities.

I have had my Nokia N70 for three years now and it has been fantastic, I have over 300 contacts stored and 100’s of photo’s and best of all the battery still lasts all week.

Edited by Apex

What a disappointment :( $700 for a phone and then $80 a month with only 250Mb.....that probably gives you enough data to check the odd website during the month, a minimal amount of maps via gps and your email.

Who in their right mind is going to spend $250 for a much more usable 1Gb to have a total cost over two years of over $6k ?!?!?!

I see you can buy it and add it to your existing youchoose plan, but you have to sign up to broadband 200mb for $30 a month. Crazy when you their casual usage can give you 300mb a month for the same $30.

I really dont see too many people buying them at this price to be honest.

lol ...

and when you think about it .. all your getting is something windows mobile has been doing for the past 2 years.

Just worked out your going to be paying $6100 over 24months for the privilage of having a $199 iphone.

Vodafone is so lame (2 years ago I would never have thought I'd say it).

My first 5 vodafone phones were free on plans, then they stopped subsidising phones. That sucked for me beacuase whenever my term would run out I'd simply sign up for a further 12-24 months and get another free or cheap phone. That change only benefitted broke-ass prepayers.

1) They cancelled my plan on me (Freetalk) because they didn't offer it anymore. It was a really good value plan and obviously they realised they weren't making all that much money on it. I complained and got 2 months free on a new plan (which was one of the old "Get" plans).

2) A year later they cancelled that plan aswell. I got 2 months free on my new plan (after serious complaining) which was prepay as none of the other plans were flexible enough to allow me to do calls, text, pxt and data without having to seriously compromise on one of the services. I also at this point bought a Telecom prepay to get the most value out of both networks.

3) Telecom brought out a new plan (Flexi) which is really similar to my old freetalk. Basically I get whatever I want at a discounted rate from the prepay prices (because it is on plan) and my bill reflects my usage. I can use $50 of data one month and $50 of calls the next and it doesn't matter. Plus I get more txts than I'll ever use to any network.

Finally, I have a Windows Mobile 6 device hooked up on it. not as light or sleek as an iphone, but with a few software upgrades and hacks I have:

-touch screen

-slide-out keyboard

-handwriting recognition

-iphone skin so it looks at works very similar to an iphone

-threaded sms (like iphone)

-picture gallery (like iphone with slide to view, touch zoom etc)

-web access with iexplorer or opera

-touch-scrolling contacts list (like iphone)

-microsoft office

-email

-video on media player

-audio on media player

-media library (emulates iphone style library)

-8GB SD card so its like the 8GB iphone buit with added benefit of a removable and easy to backup SD card. Can aslo swap in another card in like 5seconds so in a way can have unlimited media storage.

-adobe reader

-flash

-java applications (like gmail on my phone)

-synchronisation with outlook contacts, memos and calendar

-usb connectivity via sync cradle to my PC with synced backups

-wireless internet gateway if plugged into my laptop away from home

-bluetooth

-wireless internet if near a wi-fi hotspot (can surf bimmersport on my phone from the couch with no data charges).

and the list goes on.

I love the iphone (hence why I am running so much iphone meulation on this phone), but my phone cost $280 on trademe, and although not as nice as the iphone, it can do more, and is perfectly fine.

If voda offered a decent priced plan and the phones came down in price I'd get one, but my windows phone is killer for me right now.

Edit: regarding Nick's comments below. iphone rules for battery life, and screen compared to my phone. iphone is the better device, but you certainly are not getting bang for buck.

Edited by bravo

I have owned the 1st gen iPhone for about 6 months. ($750 off ebay)

I was going to upgrade, but then I realised there are only 2 features that the 3g version has that I would want.

-GPS (which by the way doesn't act like real time direction giving car systems yet)

-flush mounted headphone jack.

My previous phone was 3G and I never used it. To correct Ollie pxt has nothing to do with 3G.

You can pxt now with the iphone now using third party apps, (swirly mms). No native PXT support is the biggest drawback along with no copy/paste.

Overall i think it an awesome device. I use the browser heaps when i am at home/in a WiFi zone. Never on the network. The email client is good. and the calender and Outlook syncing is excellent.

If you are not a 'power user' i think you would be disappointed with it to be honest. But if you carry an ipod everywhere with you and use a mobile email device it is great.

Oh but the one thing that still blows me away is the screen. It is sick. No other handheld device comes close. Watching videos on it is great.

PS Battery life is good (1st gen).

lol ...

and when you think about it .. all your getting is something windows mobile has been doing for the past 2 years.

Just worked out your going to be paying $6100 over 24months for the privilage of having a $199 iphone.

$5,472 at 9% discount rate by my calcs :P

lol ...

dont think about it in that way, if your a high usage customer your getting 600 mins 600 texts and 1GB of data a month.... its your phone bill that costs that much, not the phone

no not really, It costs nothing in infrustructure costs to vodafone and you are already a customer of theres.

I pay $80 for the same plan with no data and I get two free 'buddies' that cost nothing to call or text anytime. A data plan is 40-80 per month on top of that. So your telling me I need to spend nearly twice as much over 24months just for an iphone.

$6100 (what us plebs pay) @ 250 per month for a $199 iphone. total $6299

vs

$3840 (my plan + a data rate at 160 per month) 250-500 for a win mobile eqiv. total $4340

thats a $1959 differnence.

errrm no thanks.

can anyone say Kiwisaver ?

If you want an iPhone just get one from the US / eBay and unlock it. Have any plan you want or prepay. Probably save you a couple of hundred off the ~$900 prepay purchase price here.

Oh that is the other 'revolutionary' thing about the iPhone is the 'installer'.

Instead of collecting stuff from all over the net to put onto your phone via bluetooth or cable or whatever, the iphone does it all on the phone through the installer app. It is very cool. The free 3rd party apps you can get are sick. There are thousands. One click to install. You need to be 'jailbroken' to do this but that is easy now.

You can do some crazy things like this one app lets you access your desktop pc from anywhere over the net. What it shows on your iphone screen is your actual PC. So you can look at photos, send email anything remotely.

www.modmyifone.com

Can anyone seriously say they expected to get a good deal?

@penry: It's still just a phone! Commenting on the 1st gen that I played with for some time, sure it bundles all your stuff together, but the sound doesn't cut it, it's a bitch to text from, no pxt, average camera, it's not the kind of phone to carry in your pocket out on the town and the cost of data made the internet/mail functionality a permium service and after the coolness of it wore off it really just became a phone.

I'll wait to you have a play with the 3G one before listening to your thoughts on it, but after looking at the pricing I won't hold my breath.

Posted Image

Haha, and visual voicemail is not available in NZ...

Edited by No. 6

If you want an iPhone just get one from the US / eBay and unlock it. Have any plan you want or prepay. Probably save you a couple of hundred off the ~$900 prepay purchase price here.

Can you still do that with the new iPhone?

Not me! Still, what a disappointment.

The potential was there for VF to blow the NZ mobile market to pieces with a piece of hardware that can do it all. Whilst all my friends in the UK are buying it for the cost of a tank of petrol and have unlimited calls, text and data etc we are stuck with VF aligning it with their existing price structures which mean that once again NZ will lag way behind in the technology stakes.

So 'expected' no, 'hoped for' yes.

@penry: It's still just a phone! Commenting on the 1st gen that I played with for some time, sure it bundles all your stuff together, but the sound doesn't cut it, it's a bitch to text from, no pxt, average camera, it's not the kind of phone to carry in your pocket out on the town and the cost of data made the internet/mail functionality a permium service and after the coolness of it wore off it really just became a phone.

We obviously see the iphone as completely different items Carl. I havent heard the sound so cant comment and Id like to think the 3G would be seriously better than your 1st gen phone. I found sending emails on my itouch to be dead easy, much more simple to use that the text on my k800i. I probably send half a dozen pxt a year so that doesnt bother me either and if I want to take a decent picture of something Ill take a real camera, but for 'on the spot' snaps 2mb is more than adequate.

Im not interested in lots of minutes or 50000 texts, what I want is data. the ability to sync my office email/calendar/contacts etc with my home email/calendar/contacts on one device and have my email 'pushed' at all times, to be able to use google maps with the GPS, as well as have my music and videos available, to surf the web when I feel like it, to control my home server from where ever I am, play music from my server in my bedroom using the wifi, to download files from the web for when I need to update my mums pc, to use voip for all my calls when Im in a hotspot, to listen to internet radio in my kitchen, to automatically download and start playing podcasts without the need for my laptop etc.

The possibilites with data are endless, so for me, no its not just a phone !

Another way of looking at it is from the demographic they have obviously aimed at and thats the business/corporate user.

Currently if you want 600 mins, 600 texts plus a 1gb of data you pay around 275 a month, so the iphone1gb plan is cheaper. Add into the mix that comparible phones are all over 1k but the subsidised iphone is $349 it doesnt seem too bad a deal all of a sudden does it ?

I've had an iPhone for about 6 months and I'm less than impressed. It's quite simply a fashion accessory. I would have been much happier spending the same amount of money on a Nokia N series (best phones in the world).

I have a friend who is all over apple and preches it .. I tease him about his finger nerd phone all the time.

He states josh you are just 2 years behind blah blah .. as he struggles yet again to type a simple text message.

I think ill be sticking with my 6300 nokia. I would use exchange mode for mail but thats about it.

Another way of looking at it is from the demographic they have obviously aimed at and thats the business/corporate user.

Currently if you want 600 mins, 600 texts plus a 1gb of data you pay around 275 a month, so the iphone1gb plan is cheaper. Add into the mix that comparible phones are all over 1k but the subsidised iphone is $349 it doesnt seem too bad a deal all of a sudden does it ?

someone is starting to see where im coming from!

although a would have liked more data on the plans, i think they are reasonably priced in comparison to what else is around. and the subsidies are good

I pay $80 for the same plan with no data and I get two free 'buddies' that cost nothing to call or text anytime. A data plan is 40-80 per month on top of that. So your telling me I need to spend nearly twice as much over 24months just for an iphone.

your current plan will be what the lowest iphone plan is based on, a choose 120.

im guessing you have your 2 best mates, ($10) and text 600, or 2000? and that brings you up 2 80 base a month.

with the iphone plan you will be getting the same deal for $90 a month (with and extra 250 MB of data) that is assuming you can add bestmates to iphone plans

im a bit dissapointed with the plans aswell but they arent that bad people

6300 nokia is a mean phone. (but 'just a phone')

Points about the N series are somewhat valid.

There is video recording, MMS, IM clients, XM Radio, VOIP and Video out on the iphone. (Though from hackers not Apple).

The biggest selling point for me is that is an iPod, and the best one they have made at that.

I am a fan of iTunes. Podcasts, smart playlists auto sync etc. etc.

I plug in my iphone and all my smart playlists are updated, ratings updated, new podcasts updated, it replaces episodes i have watched with new ones, syncs my contacts and calender with my outlook list. All automatically. It works pretty well.

So if I want one device an N series is the only other option The music player doesn't integrate that well with iTunes and is far more cumbersome to use (in terms of media playback). Plus the screen is far inferior.

Edit plus i have never seen a chick flash her tits to play on a nokia!

Edited by Nick G

On Campbell Live just now, John just reamed some Vodafone bloke about the pricing structure of the iphone plans! Brilliant!

As much as an iphone is a cool piece of kit. I don't need one.... plus they're going to be hideously expensive. I'll stick with my Nokia 6275 with 2 megapixel camera that I got free through work along with a free Parrot bluetooth hands free carkit, $300 credit and 26 cents per minute on/off peak calls all for 26 dollars per month! Damn I love Telecom business plans! :D

yeah saw that at work.

Good on him! Real men only need to call/ read the occasional text from the missus anyway