Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

WARNING !! Buying an E30

I just thought I would pop this in

When buying an E30 (or any BMW) First check the rear parcel shelf, if it has non factory speakers, open the boot and check to see if the rear parcel tray has been hacked...if it has.... walk away from the deal because the car will be uneconomic to repair correctly and would need certifying by a structural engineer after the repair is carried out. The panel cannot be patch welded, it must be replaced with a whole new panel. The rear parcel tray (metal) is a structural mounting point for the seat belts and is also a structural panel for the integrity of the body shell.

I have another one in the workshop here at the moment that has been butchered by some moron. And the owner is not a happy camper at the moment.

I would also like to add that if you hack the doors or the kick panel areas for speakers you are also constituting the same problem. These speaker areas are all within the 150mm zone of structural mounting points for the door hinges. Although hidden, it is still technically a WOF fail if an inspector (AVI) picks up on this. Although some may disagree.. big does not always mean better. Quality speakers of the correct size can be purchased, they may not be cheap, but do you really want to destroy your car for a bit more sound ??

Its really a shame to see this happening to the cars, especially the E30's. Really good ones are getting harder and harder to find. Rust is also a problem as most of you know. The cars are all approaching the 20 year old mark now. Really mint ones are going to fetch higher dollars... so please guys, if you have a good one, dont destroy it with sounds.

Edited by *Glenn*

One thing I really hate is when people list TradeMe auctions: "It's failing a wof for some rear tray thing, should be easy to fix!!"

Nice one, I had to stop a guy from doing this the other day, he had no idea it was illegal!

Can’t you just space the 6x9’s up a bit or box them?

Failing that just find a relaxed WOF inspector, there are plenty out my way :ph34r:

Nice one, I had to stop a guy from doing this the other day, he had no idea it was illegal!

Can’t you just space the 6x9’s up a bit or box them?

yes you can , i brought a e30 325i recently which had some horrible whare brand 6X9 spekers sitting on some inch + high spacers so i took the whole parcel tray out and replced it with a std one with std speakers looked some much nicer .

The thing is people think 6x9 speakers are a good thing. Image wise you couldnt get a worse design. Buying a good qaulity 6 1/2 inch speaker with a descent flat response range and a decent magnet or driver and tweeter(s) is the key.

I'm the first to cry F/O when the P.C patrol start telling people what to do... but they should really be putting warnings in the boxes or on the boxes of 6x9's.

"so you failed at square peg into round hole as a child, why do you think 6x9s are any different?"

My alpina had them cut out, then stuff welded in and cert'd..... not sure how much it had costed though...

HAHAHA When I had my 318i and was young dumb and full of c** I got a panel beaters hammer out and bashed the sh*t out of it until my 6x9's fit in, no hack sawing just a bit of bashing, lol. They looked good lying flat but I'm not sure they sounded any better.

easier to stick a sub in the boot with a amp if you want more bass

that requires quite a bit of money which these young fools dont have, hence the need for a cheaper option.. :rolleyes:

It use to be perfectly legal to cut the parcel tray up like that so its kinda one of those issues that the goal posts have been moved and now something that use to be legal is not longer legal

X2

Subs are veryy cheap these days. Sub/box amp combos for under $400 even.

It use to be perfectly legal to cut the parcel tray up like that so its kinda one of those issues that the goal posts have been moved and now something that use to be legal is not longer legal

The goal posts havent moved for over 10 years. The problem is a reliable inspection standard by AVI's

The goal posts havent moved for over 10 years. The problem is a reliable inspection standard by AVI's

Then does that not mean the standards need to be stricted on AVI's? and there be more checks in place to make sure people are meeting the standards?

It still cracks me up that there is such an obsessive focus (by the authorities) on safety factors that apply once a vehicle is **in** an accident (eg strength of parcel tray, full complement of airbags, etc) ...

... yet so little focus on making sure cars have working shock absorbers. Or tyres suited to snow-free roads... factors responsible for **creating** accidents.

Edited by CamB

The quality of the people doing the testing leaves a lot to be desired doesnt it. Ive seen several cars recently with hacked up rear shelves and they all either have WOF's or the owner has said he has never had a problem getting one.

My touring yesterday failed a WOF because of its wiper blades which surprised me because I always insist that my windscreen is spotless and the blades never have any trouble, but they failed to notice the left rear brake light was out.....even though the car tells you that the moment you turn the key !!!!

My touring yesterday failed a WOF because of its wiper blades which surprised me because I always insist that my windscreen is spotless and the blades never have any trouble, but they failed to notice the left rear brake light was out.....even though the car tells you that the moment you turn the key !!!!

My E36 nearly failed a warrant because the front indicator didn't glow orange bright enough!

The quality of the people doing the testing leaves a lot to be desired doesnt it.

True of all industries :P.

What annoys me is that a Datsun 120y, or similar, can get a warrant (even if it is mint) yet my E36 failed on a 5mm stone chip that was argueably(sp) completely out of the line of sight.

But that's true of all rules I guess. <_<

Guest SamSpargo

I think the real point is that who the hell uses rear speakers anyway?

Do you go to a gig and turn your back to the stage?

On that note, i'm still hunting for a factory speakerless rear parcel tray

I think the standard speakers are mint. Just have to get the standard tweeters working and I see no need to ever 'upgrade'. Car is for driving, IpodTouch is for music :)

Sam, I so had one of those in my first SA import E30...

Never thought much of it.. You would hate to know what i did to it :P

Wow, I've never seen a speaker-less E30 rear tray, that's got to be a rarity.

My car came with some non-nasty looking 6"x9"s mounted above some black plastic things, about 2 inches high. I'm not one for electrics and stereo type gadgets, and can't even work an iPod, so they have stayed. I think they sound fine, and there is no noticeable vibration from the mountings.

I really hate those speakers that looks like spiders, though. They look like the sort of thing someone who has a blanket with a tiger on a Harley Davidson on their living room wall would like. I hope nobody here has them.

Ha sondstreams lol.

I cut the parcel tray in my sisters mini before I knew better. My WOF guy at that time was a family friend. Said he'd pass it without a cert as long as he did the repair so he knew it was up to cert standard, and tidy enough he could cry ignorance that it had been done if taken to task. I always asked first, cut later after that.

I think the real point is that who the hell uses rear speakers anyway?

Do you go to a gig and turn your back to the stage?

On that note, i'm still hunting for a factory speakerless rear parcel tray

How many cars have the interior space of an arena and 50,000 watt sound systems in the front with a live band on the dash board??

I have a set of 4†speakers in the back to give some vocal/mid fill over the subwoofer, have been in cars with a sub in the back and no rears and it sounds unbalanced.