Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

Its a well known problem with those manifolds - drill the holes out a little larger and some port matching required on manifold. Its also common to cut the manifold in the middle (between 3 and 4) as apparently this helps.

By the way - the above "advice" is offered without responsibility - I haven't tried it!!!! Just summarising what I've seen online (google m20 ebay manifold). eg:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1234989

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55879

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66219

Edited by CamB

Guest FrantiC

Its a well known problem with those manifolds - drill the holes out a little larger and some port matching required on manifold. Its also common to cut the manifold in the middle (between 3 and 4) as apparently this helps.

By the way - the above "advice" is offered without responsibility - I haven't tried it!!!! Just summarising what I've seen online (google m20 ebay manifold). eg:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1234989

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55879

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66219

Yeah have read heaps about it before, Looks like abit of work to get it fitting right. damnit.

Which exhaust shop are ya gonna take it to?

Muffler and Exhaust.

Yeah have read heaps about it before, Looks like abit of work to get it fitting right. damnit.

Nothings ever as straight forward as you would hope for John trust me on that one, no pain no gain ;)

Things always work themselves out.

Edited by Boost Junky

Muffler and Exhaust.

Good old Pete, he should do a pretty decent job.

Guest FrantiC

Good old Pete, he should do a pretty decent job.

Yeah he's all good, somethings are abit dodgy but that's probably cos i stand there and rush him haha.

Probably leave my car there end of next week or the week after. Looks like I will be able to sort the manifold myself gonna see how far cutting into 2 banks gets me.

saw them and wondered.... just cheap .......and nasty?

Guest FrantiC

saw them and wondered.... just cheap .......and nasty?

Well yeah i wouldn't say they are the best, but there really isn't anything too wrong with them other than needing support and the design is abit koo koo... Other than that have heard alot of success with them.

Guest FrantiC

Yep that is the one I got actually.

Got it fitted, Cut it into 2 banks and abit of port modifying and extending of holes all morning managed to get it on there properly. Think I will take most peoples advice and brace it up, weight off the turbo and exhaust would probably crack it somewhere down the line.. Meh.

Not far to go now.. Save up and get the exhaust and wastegate setup. Slave cylinder, then oil feed line and yepppp

Might stroll down and have a look when it's getting the exhaust done.

Guest FrantiC

Might stroll down and have a look when it's getting the exhaust done.

Sweet, I'll have it down there not next week but the week after hopefully around the start of the week (22nd june). Gotta get the flanges, bought a straight through 2.5" muffler and all he will need to do it bend and weld pipe.

I must warn you though, Paint job is quite horrendous :huh:

Ha allgood, i won't judge.

have ya though of gunmetal/dark grey centers? i think personally would fit better than black. black has a habit of hiding the rims styling in certain lights. thats my 2cents. u going to heat wrap that mani? or put heat sheilding of some sort down to protect that shiny paint?

Guest FrantiC

Yeah the rims were actualy meant to be the greyish centers but they weren't when I got them so yeah..

Yup well not sure entirely if I will do the manifold but will be wrapping the entire downpipe with heatwrap ay. Might do manifold..,.. Might do.....

Guest FrantiC

Well yeah manifolds ON. Turbos ON. Just for fitment, Have to redo my intercooler piping a tad, I had chopped it to pop up behind the headlights but the turbo turned that way hits the wheel well, only way to go is straight down..

Still need to get the oil feed line too lol.

Here's latest pics, And showing the actual room available for a down pipe. So 2.5" it is...

m20 variable TPS on it's way. Once I get that (thought it would be here today but oh well!) I need to wire it in , just managed to find the wiring thing for it so should be easy. Get the throttlebody back on and will be able to give it a run for it's first time :lol:

post-3156-1244843610_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1244843629_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1244843643_thumb.jpg

Mean John! Thats looks very intimidating just chilling there next to that M20 ;) progress is satisfying huh!

Guest FrantiC

Yeah bro, good to see my time and effort making some good progress. Very satisfying :P

Going to throw a 10psi spring in my wastegate. Run it 10psi for abit see how things go I guess.

Wiring a kill switch for the ECU power now, I am meant to wire it to a switched 12V source but MEH would work good as a kill switch lol.

Sadly gotta remount the Megasquirt ECU, Can''t plug in the cable for tuning lol didn't think of that when I made it. Fail!

Edited by FrantiC

Looks very cool, making good progress.

Looking like it's gonna be an easy lose of licence car :P

Guest FrantiC

Looks very cool, making good progress.

Looking like it's gonna be an easy lose of licence car :P

Well lost it twice by the age of 18, that's shocking enough TBH.. Lesson learnt, Though mind you I did say that the first time when I was 16 and lost it <_<

(Must be me and BMW's LOL)

Oh fwiw, Yes - I am only 18 Lol :lol:

Edited by FrantiC

So mean, So jealous - wish I had the skiills to build a 2.7 stroker and then turbo it.

I have some catching up to do in the next month before I turn 18 xD

Guest FrantiC

Haha, pretty easy if you learn things for yourself. Before I had my e30 i knew nothing about cars, then I was always replacing stuff doing it myself and pretty much learned the inside and out of the entire car.

By the time I was 18 last year, I had dropped the gearbox and done a full clutch job. Driveshaft rubber and hanger bearing. Rear subframe and all bushes. Swapped diff atleast 10 times. Front and rear springs (can do all around in less than an hour now so much practice lol). Shocks. Subframe, enginemounts, sway bars and control arms all bushes up front. Swapped an m20 motor myself from a de-regd chassis to my 4 door way back last year.

So yeah, I pretty much have had apart everything in my car due to failure or just wanting to upgrade etc. Learn alot about your car this way. First hand experience and it's a good hobby to do stuff yourself. The 2.7 stroker came along as a side project cos I wanted to build a motor. Took me about 5 months to do it, took my time sourcing bits. Once built did the swap from m20b20 to m20 stroker by myself in a day haha. HUGE difference between the m20b20 and 2.7 stroker, Was quite amazed at power gained.. Have always wanted a turbod car though, and in an e30 would be mint so thought why the hell not eh!