Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

Guest FrantiC

Its definitely possible that exhaust reversion / excess backpressure meant you were getting a dirty charge in those cylinders, which is more prone to detonation.

Even still, make sure you get the tune professionally checked. It's not worth assuming the problem was entirely due to the gaskets.

Yeah i know that, I just think that it made the whole thing a disaster waiting to happen really.

Anyways I had to miss out on my cert today, Ray didn't want to part with any crank sensors as he had none spare other than in 1.3 conversions so yeah. 323e30 once again comes through , so should have a new one tomorrow.

Going to hit up a workshop who apparently have a dyno there , probably take my car there when it gets the LVV cert and then hopefully get some fine tuning done. And I also want to get an MLS, probably a thicker one, 0.120" maybe even 0.140" then get it dyno'd..

Guest FrantiC

Dammit, I have a re-booked LVV cert tomorrow. Still no Crank sensor has turned up though..

The guy comes from Palmerston North too, The shop told me I have top let them know by tonight if I can make it or not or else this guys gonna make a pointless trip up here lol, But how am I to know if it's gonna come in the mail tomorrow morning.

Really don't wanna piss this guy off either or else he would probably scrutinize the littlest things lol.

Anyways if I had a camera I could take pics, Engine bay is as tidy as I can get it for now. Mounted a ford washer bottle behind the headlights (I think they are a WOF requirement, oem wouldn't fit due to turbo so got a smaller one easier to mount elsewere). Dump pipe is heatwrapped. Most wiring tidied up and cable tied etc. Coils stuck down onto valve cover. I'll try get pics cos this thread fails without pics Lol..

Beg, borrow or steal a camera. We like pics B)

Guest FrantiC

Someone help lol.

Missed another cert check today. Now re-booked to next wednesday..

Someone surely must have a crank sensor liying around? ? The one 323e30 sent me is taking AGES to get here not even sure if it was overnighted or not, either way has been 3 nights (sent tuesday) so LOL @ overnight couriers.

Do a skid John :P Seriously thought I wouldnt be suprised if the courier has misplaced your parcel. You wouldnt believe the amount of times they screw up the delivery of our daily freight or misplace important parcels!

Guest FrantiC

Have you tryed Mudgways in Hastings? Bee Jays in Napier have a few e30s aswell

Yup BeeJays had nothing, And mudgways claim to have no m20's even though I know of atleast 2 in their engine shed when I went in there a couple times... So F them they are too stupid.

Hey man, just curious, who from Palmy are you using for the cert? Marty Jones?

Guest FrantiC

Hey man, just curious, who from Palmy are you using for the cert? Marty Jones?

Not to sure man, I went through Mag n Tyre Hastings who get some guy from down there. I will soon find out.

If it is Marty Jones, Should I be scared? Lol.

Haha.

Nah, Marty is a good c**t, just a hard man to track down sometimes because he is out of town alot (lol).

Guest FrantiC

Oh yeah, Could be the guy. They told me he is always moving around doing jobs out of town etc.

Im pretty sure Napier Auto Supplies have a 320i but i dont know if its facelift on not

Guest FrantiC

Im pretty sure Napier Auto Supplies have a 320i but i dont know if its facelift on not

Hmm, last time I checked all they had was the white 316i which I pretty much took everything off of lol. I will ring them and see what they got.

*edit*

There is an 89 320i there, but someone's already bought the front crank sensor off of it. Grr!

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

Ahhhk Well time for a pictures update, Again sorry for the pooor quality.. Video it then had to snapshot off the video , it's the only way since I don't have a camera that works anymore lol.

So this is all engine bay.. Enjoy. lol.

post-3156-1249687581_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687592_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687600_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687609_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687620_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687628_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687636_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687654_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687661_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687673_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687687_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687694_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687701_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687723_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1249687732_thumb.jpg

Nice John! You should brighten the pictures up slightly with photoshop or fireworks bro ;)

Who did you buy the sensor off? Surely it would be here by now. If there was a problem with the courier your supplier should have by now

- Rang the courier and got them to track and trace it.

- Notified you of its where abouts and if they have lost it then;

- Organised with the courier for them to cover it and get another one on the way.

If they are incapable of doing that I wouldnt take any s**t and demand my money back, your relying on this part to get your car going and mucking a certifier around because of a supplier being a lazy slack ass.

Edited by Boost Junky

hey john , i have a crank angle sensor if you want it, can post it away monday if you've had no luck yet.

Matt

hey john , i have a crank angle sensor if you want it, can post it away monday if you've had no luck yet.

Matt

Always a genuine good fulla Matty helping other out like that pipe ya gave me! There ya go John ;)

Guest FrantiC

Matt

Shot man, PM'd. :)

Guest FrantiC

Gahhh. Got 2 new crank sensors tried both but still nothing. The rev gauge shows it is working in Tunerstudio, No longer reded out - But still no rpm signal and it's still disconnecting.

Am now going to pull the entire loom out and remove all the shielding and check ALL the wiring... Fun!

Guest FrantiC

Something STRANGE going on...

I pulled the loom out.. What a mission that is grr..

I was going to completely pull of the covering and check every single wire. Then on e30tech I was tld to check voltages of a component on the ECU (as my "ecu shut off" problem could have been a bad piece of hardware on the board - If bad would short 5v to ground).

So I put the loom back in, not properly just so I could wire the starter, alternator, plug in crank sensor/TPS and the battery + grounds. Plugged in megasquirt. Checked voltages and they were fine. I needed to check if they dropped out whilst cranking (which would cause the ecu to die).. Cranked, Voltage dropped to 9v, Then .........

output lights started flashing. FFS. If that was plugged in properly and into the coils, it would have started. Oh well atleast I got somewhere!

Going to carefully put the loom back in the car now, properly and hopefully it co-operates with me and works again! :D

And to think I was SOOOOOO close to going out and taking it to an auto sparky or something, Heh!

Edited by FrantiC

Christ dude, that's been a bit of a read! Good to see projects like this [i'm a project kinda dude too lol] Wiring is a bitch, bring it to eketahuna and I can help, mind you it's a long way to push. I went down the turbo route with one of my bikes, sadly the budget wouldn't let me finish. So I'll sell it instead

Guest FrantiC

Haha. Yeah anything electrical just never seems to go my way..

Anyways, I now get spark and fuel but something is wrong and the engine won't start. Just pops and shunts and sputters...

Even using the same map as before which is weird cos the only difference is a new crank sensor.

Unless I did something wrong when changing the headgasket...........................GAH!

On the plus side today, I now put a 0.6 bar (8.7psi) spring in the wastegate. Lol.

Do you have a compression tester? Or multimeter that does duty cycle? If so, check the plug dwell, you could re-check ignition timing, look for intake leaks to. Good luck

Double check you have the cam timing right. Then triple check it.

Guest FrantiC

Double check you have the cam timing right. Then triple check it.

Yep, Going to when I get home after course. Also going to buy a compression tester, Make sure It isn't losing compression anywhere..

Everything in Tunerstudio looks normal , Except the spark advance is 5.7*. Usually it is 16, After I dropped it from 22*.